Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Orchids still life

edited October 4 in Post Your Paintings
I'm finishing off my orchids painting. I just applied more black paint on the background last night. I'll wait some days before oiling it. I had some problem on oiling my previous one that I picked up some black paint and smeared it over the subject as I use liquin instead of linseed oil. While my painting is still wet. I hope to get some comments and advises to improve the quality of this painting and my future ones.
It has not been long  since I posted my previous painting. I hope I'm not posting my painting too often. Please let me know.

Thank you.

Oil on canvas 16" x 16"

anweshaRenoirPaulBBoudiccamjkeaneyMikeDerbySummerFlattyElizaRosanneJPB

Comments

• This is absolutely gorgeous! I wish you take another photo  without the glare.
    And its definitely not too often, the more the paintings come our way, the better!  =) 
    Jack2015
  • I agree with Anwesha, this is gorgeous! I don't have any advice on oiling out as I am very new at all of this, but you've really created a very realistic portrayal of these lovely flowers.
    Jack2015
  • Beautifully painted, @Jack2015. It just goes to show that setting up the subject properly as your have done and painting from life yields the best results for still life. Please don't worry about posting too often. As @Anwesha said, the more the better. Looking at and talking about everyone's paintings helps us all. So as well as posting your own feel free to critique paintings others post.
    Jack2015BoudiccaRenoir
  • Thank you @Renoir@tassieguy I have little experience in painting that would help me to critique on others' paintings. I'll try my best with the knowledge I have. 
    PaulBRenoir
  • @Jack2015
    Such a stunning and eye catching painting! 
    I would buy this in a heartbeat. 
    Did you paint it on a black canvas or did you paint the canvas ? 
    Also , I’d love to know what colours you mixed to get that gorgeous , vibrant purple. 
    Keep them coming !!!  :)
    Jack2015
  • Sorry , I’ve just realised that you said you actually painted the black background!! 
    I was too busy admiring the painting! 
    Jack2015
  • werbywerby -
    edited October 4
    My only critique is I think it is beautifully done and am looking forward to seeing more. 
    Jack2015
  • @Hilary I'm glad you like my painting. I did paint the canvas with black paint before drawing then another layer of black paint when the main subject painting finished. This method will get good coverage of black paint and to clean up any mess as well. I used cobalt violet dark, magenta and titanium white for the purple petals. Using red and blue to make purple is just misleading info for practical painting imo. 
  • Thanks for that info @Jack2015
    I’ve been trying to source a tube of that cobalt violet dark and I can’t believe the price ! 
    Am I right in thinking it’s the most expensive colour there is ? 
    You can get plain cobalt violet at a normal price but the dark version is ...... astronomical!  :o

• edited October 4
    @Hilary You're welcome. You could be right. It's one of  the top series colours. Thank you for reminding me that. I have only 1 x 21ml tube. I must use it sparingly. You probably can get away without this paint though. It happened that I started with this one that's all.
  • Well I’m your case it was worth it because look at the painting you produced!!!! 
    Guard that tube carefully!  :) :)
    Jack2015
  • SummerSummer -
    edited October 4
    @Jack2015

I'm just amazed at this painting.  You are probably going to have a price war on your hands if you try to sell it.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat as well. 

Summer
    Jack2015
  • This is beautifully painted. 

A question about colour mixing - have you tried Mark Carder's method for mixing purples and other "power" colours and not succeeded.? I personally haven't tried yet and your comment is making me wonder whether it's not actually possible to mix *every* colour with the standard 5 colours and two power ones.
    Jack2015
  • That is just beautiful. Keep them coming as much as you like.
    Jack2015
  • Thank you @werby ; @Summer @Kschaben for those really nice comments. @movealonghome I haven't tried Mark's method on mixing colour yet because I have over 60 colours of W&N. I was really mad on collecting them when I first started painting after finding out I could not mix colours I wanted from 5 primary colours, red, blue, yellow, white and black I learned from primary school. It took me more than a year to have a good understanding about colour.  The feeling about it is just like a roller coaster. At some point I felt I was stupid buying all those strange colours and fallen into commercial trick when I discovered that I can make a lot of colours from few colours if doing it right. Until recently after absent from painting for about half a year, I found out again that I could not make a specific colour I wanted but only 1 tube saved it. Now, I don't feel I'm stupid at all to have large variety of colour. Conclusion from my experience, mixing a colour from 5 colours would be fine for most situations but not when colour is critical for your painting style. However, Mark's method is yet to do experiment on. It could prove me wrong.
  • @Jack2015 this is outstanding.  I don't know how you were able to paint them and finish the detail without them being dead.  I have been struggling like crazy with my living still lives not living long enough for me to complete a painting.  I used to use liquin to oil out and even as a final "varnish" - do you ever do a light glaze with it for the final "varnish" coat?  It can be really magical.  Thank you for sharing.  I wish I could paint that fast!  
    Jack2015
  • Julianna said:
    ... I don't know how you were able to paint them and finish the detail without them being dead.  ...
    It's because they are not cut flowers, but still growing in a pot.  These kind of blooms last weeks.
    Jack2015
  • @Julianna One characteristic of orchids is their flowers last very long time even after cutting. They are not the cheapest flowers to buy though. I'm lucky enough to have some in my garden with many small flowers. They are quite a pain to paint, LOL, but well worth the effort at the end.  I would encourage any painters to try to paint them. 
  • @PaulB   @Jack2015   No wonder!!!  I need to bring a rose bush inside to paint instead of clipping the flowers.  I love orchids but can never get them to last a long time.  Again, these are beautiful Jack.

Jack2015
  • @Julianna Yes, I use liquin to light varnish my painting all the time. I forgot to mention earlier.
    Julianna
  • This is just beautiful! :3
    Jack2015
  • SummerSummer -
    edited October 9
    Jack2015 said:
    @Julianna Yes, I use liquin to light varnish my painting all the time. I forgot to mention earlier.
    http://faso.com/fineartviews/31160/dont-use-liquin-as-a-varnish

It states:
    1. 1.    Liquin cannot be removed or cleaned.
    2. 2.    Liquin can yellow.
    3. 3.    The Liquin bond on a painting prevents oxygen from reaching the paint film.  Oxygen is necessary for oil to cure properly.

Might you consider using the Winsor & Newton removable gloss varnish when the painting is completely dry, so that years hence, the varnish can be removed for cleaning?  Some varnishes are permanent, like Liquin.  Others can be permanent or removable, like Winsor & Newton.  I don't use retouch any longer. 

Summer

Jack2015
  • edited October 9
    @Summer have you painted with dark colors that sink in 3 days?  Can you imagine sitting and looking at that for "6 months" because you are supposed to preserve it for museums hundreds of years from now?  We do what we can do at the time we need it.  It would be like winning the lottery if any one of us has preservers in the distant future who will have far more advanced techniques for restoring our masterpieces    *cough  cough*     Where is your masterpiece???????   Post a painting for God's sake!!!  You comment often and say that you are painting regularly but you never show us what you are working on, share with us!!!  Pretty please.   Do you save all of your paintings in a room to varnish after 6 months?

Jack2015
  • @Summer I only apply Liquin very lightly just to bring my paintings to life longer than the conventional oiling method. I hope it doesn't cause too much damage long term. Thank you for your info and the link. I'll have a good read.You are very kind.
  • @Jack2015   if you use liquin to oil out your painting and thousands of oil painters do, there is absolutely nothing wrong with oiling out your painting and then just not painting again for awhile - you leave yourself the possibility of painting more layers and yes, liquin isn't perfect, but it is a great temporary solution to sunken in paintings until you are ready to figure out what to do next.  Liquin lets the paint breathe and cure underneath.  

Jack2015
  • @Julianna ;

Thanks for reminding me that archival isn't for everyone!  I don't think that I'm likely to change, either.  Hmm.

Summer
    Julianna
  • edited October 9
    @Summer   when are you going to start posting your paintings?  You post often, have much knowledge yet you share nothing of your artistic progress while you give such wonderful advice for those of us who do share our progress.  Seriously, why don't you post your work?  You say you are not up to par but you comment as if you are an expert so I don't buy that you are such a novice.  When you paint, do you save everything for  a perfect varnish after 6 months and will you share with us your work?  That would be awesome.

• SummerSummer -
    edited November 26
    @Julianna ; I have to admit that I'm in a bit of a quandary about multi-national hackers and how really safe it is putting too much of our true identities into a forum such as this.  We are paying the maximum for identity protection but I feel like I have to make some effort, myself, to not make it easy for them.  I'm taking the wait and see approach until I feel safer online.  Just saying.  Summer   
  • @Summer @Julianna   I've gathered that using Liquin is highly controversial among artists. Some love some hate. It's personal choice at the end of the day I guess. @Summer I'd love to see some of your work though. I believe you are good. No pressure.
    Julianna
  • Painting looks great. My next one will be in a similar style. No orchids though - sunflower!

@Summer you also seem to be the best at saving everyones images and reverse google searching them and finding everything you can about them :p I do the same of course. It's like scrolling through everyones facebook images and not being afraid to admit it
    Julianna
  • Yes, she saves so many images here and also dialogue and threads and yet, puts a big watermark on the only tiny image of a painting she has ever shared with us.  I'm not the same way and I don't get it and I am confused.  I am so hopeful of the day that she shares a ton of her paintings over the years so we can witness her genuis.  It doesn't make sense to me.
    Jack2015
  • edited October 9
    anyway, Jack, I don't want this to take away from your beautiful orchid as so many threads of paintings end up going so astray that it is ridiculous.  Sorry about that.  This is to celebrate your beautiful painting!
    Jack2015
  • Lol @julianna, I quite enjoy the ridiculousness of threads going astray. Artists I think can be tangential and creative thinkers and some of the best posts I’ve read have had nothing to do with the original post. Of course it can be annoying for the original poster but personally I don’t mind how far off track a thread I have started goes, at some point it gets back.....usually  :p

@Jack2015 your orchid painting is so lovely to contemplate. 
    Jack2015PaulB
  • @Julianna Do I really mind at all? No, quite the opposite. @Boudicca I'm glad you like my orchids. 
  • Thank you @movealonghome Good luck for your sunflowers painting. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Simply gorgeous @Jack2015. Every time I visit this forum I find something new to be inspired by.
    Jack2015