Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Been away awhile but have been enjoying the forum. A shared reproduction wip. Vermeer The Concert

werbywerby -
edited October 18 in Post Your Paintings
  Hey guys,
    It'd been a while but am taking a break from the Gallery to work on some new originals and do some practice work on some reproductions. 

Original was stolen 1990 so trying for a copy of my own.

original:

dencaltassieguyRosanneFlatty

Comments

• Werby

Looking good.

Denis

• Great painting to copy and you've made a good start, @Werby. Are you going to add colour on top of the grisaille? 
  • tassieguy said:
    Great painting to copy and you've made a good start, @Werby. Are you going to add colour on top of the grisaille? 
    yes. This one has a nice limited palette with about 70% glazing. It will take awhile to finish the grisaille though but will post the glazing and detailing.
  • werbywerby -
    edited October 18
    Progressing slowly and enjoying a little time spent away from my abstracts. 
    a lot of corrections and wiping out and doing again. Everyday begins correcting the tiles and still have a lot more correcting.

removed WIP for faster loading
    PaulBmjkeaneyRosanne
  • werbywerby -
    edited October 9
    Starting to see daylight on the grisalle. A considerable amount of time working on who appears to be Van Ruiven wife's face (standing). The painting on the wall appears to be some coronation and is like painting ghosts but slowly they all seem to come together. Looking forward to bringing a little color and a big temptation, but will wait until it is ready.

mjkeaneyRenoir
  • werbywerby -
    edited October 18
    continue to progress.

removed redundant WIP for faster loading

PaulBJack2015
  • I really like Vermeer's work and this is very good. Can't wait to see it finished.
  • Hello, looks very impressive! You do have a lot of hard edges there, something that Vermeer didn't have. Is this more your painting style or a conscious choice? :)

I'm also doing a reproduction of Vermeer at the moment - "A girl with a pearl earring"
  • I feel that this one is gonna come out nicely. Quite good already. Can't wait to see. 
    I may have a go with a reproduction myself that now i have a new printer. Sounds fun!
  • werbywerby -
    edited October 14
    Richard_P said:
    Hello, looks very impressive! You do have a lot of hard edges there, something that Vermeer didn't have. Is this more your painting style or a conscious choice? :)

I'm also doing a reproduction of Vermeer at the moment - "A girl with a pearl earring"
    Edges blend out eventually especially with the two paintings hanging on the wall. I will blend them out to match the original it just helps to have a good idea where the edges actually are. I still have a while to go before glazing, a lot of blending and correcting left.

I Would like to see the WIP of the girl with the pearl earring.

I enjoyed doing the girl with the red hat a few years back. It took a while to finish with quite a few layers to get the sfumato effect.

• werbywerby -
    edited October 14
    Moving along slowly and about a week from starting to add some color.

Boudicca
  • Jack2015 said:
    I feel that this one is gonna come out nicely. Quite good already. Can't wait to see. 
    I may have a go with a reproduction myself that now i have a new printer. Sounds fun!
    Thanks. I find doing reproductions are a nice way to keep practicing while working on originals. 
  • still correcting but starting to move toward the next steps.

• werbywerby -
    edited October 18
    still doing some corrections on the tile floor and the whitewashed wall. I am able to start blocking in and pre glazing some of the areas. The painting on the right will gradually continue to loose detail. It helped a lot to add the details earlier in the right hanging painting so highlighting areas makes more sense. 

• Hmm.. so you are not just glazing, but going to refine the details too?

I'd be interested to know how long you have spent on the painting so far :)
  • Richard_P said:
    Hmm.. so you are not just glazing, but going to refine the details too?

I'd be interested to know how long you have spent on the painting so far :)
    About 20 hours a week for going on 3 weeks. 

It is and odd painting and not like some of his portraits which seems to be a good deal more glazing. This seems to be more like blocking, glazing, detailing and repeating. A couple hundred years of fading and no good prints since the painting has been missing for 27 years is also adding to the difficult. The Girl with the Red Hat was easier because I work across the street from the original.
  • Thanks for letting me know. Seems like you still have a lot to do. I don't work in glazes, so it's interesting to hear about how artists that do use it work :)

werby said:
    The Girl with the Red Hat was easier because I work across the street from the original.
    Lucky!! :)
  • Impressive to me. Thanks for sharing.