Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What do you think of this photo?

I'm thinking of painting this one next. It has potential, but at the same time I feel like I should have some strategy going in to make it a success. It's quite different than what I've painted so far.

What do you see as strengths or flaws of this image that I need to be aware of? Also any suggestions in regard to what might be a fun canvas size? The crop is square

Comments

• edited September 25
    Trees behind looks amazingly dark! Seeing it naturally you will discover all these colors. You can make a trade off between the two photos.

• I think I'd make the closest foliage richer in colour and the background foliage bluer and greyer. In your photo, @movealong, the foliage is pretty much all the same dark value so it's difficult to establish depth. Varying the foliage as suggested might help in that regard.
  • movingalonghome

Well ... it has good light/dark balance and good warm/cool balance. The tree trunk texture is interesting and the mysterious darks makes that texture prominent as the focus of the image.

The photo lacks movement and a narrative. There is only a foreground and a background.
    Not good material for a painting but a good painting exercise.

Denis

• Well, to be brutally honest I think there is a danger that a painting of this will look just like a painting of a photo; and without a clear focal point or other internal dynamic I'm struggling to see how it could work compositionally. I think part of the problem for me is the trees in the background, that are all leaning over due to lens distortion - once I see something like that I can never unsee it. I tried some cropping to see if I could find something that interested me within the photo but came up blank. Sorry, that's all a bit negative.

Is that where you found your pine cone?
  • @Roxy haha no the pinecone randomly appeared in my classroom last year - I couldn't believe how big it was.

Thanks for commenting everyone - I think I'll just paint something different and better. Not sure what yet but I might experiment a bit. Do a small study of a single object to test out some colours and then do another bigger painting.