Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New WIP- An Gorta Mor

This new painting is about the generosity and compassion of the Choctaw Nation during  An Gorta Mor (The Great Hunger) in Ireland.

Article http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40304645

Set up

PaulBKaustavRoxySummerForgivenessJulianna

Comments

• What a great story, @Boudicca. And what a great set up for another still life. It sure was a cruel time for Ireland.
    Boudicca
  • Great setup! Love the objects and the three dimensional feel with the shadows and values. Looking forward to this one!!
    Boudicca
  • Looking forward to seeing this grow - I like this style and maybe one day I can attempt one 
    Boudicca
  • Yay!!!!   I am so excited to see this progress!!!  
    PaulBBoudicca
  • Still in research mode, interesting video about the process of the Kindred Spirits sculpture

Summer
  • What type of light are you using (please mention the specifics). I need a bright 5000k light which will work as my studio and still life light.
  • @kaustav this is what I use in my studio

What i I have noticed is that over time(maybe 12 months) the light gets dimmer. I have recently put a new one in. 
    Kaustav
  • Thanks. What I am getting is 6500K (home lights). 5000k is either not available or very expensive

• After research, finalised set up. I've painted the praying mantis a more realistic green and the little lizard has been painted to resemble a blue tailed skink(long story). Most  items have a symbolic meaning related to the Irish famine and the Choctaw people. This 'flu has knocked me around a bit and slowed me down, hopefully I can get some painting done now.

Summererg
  • Such an interesting project and so challenging. 
    Believe it or not , I had never heard of this monument in Cork , and I visit Cork on a regular basis. A beautiful part of the country. 
    Next time I go , I'll visit the monument. It looks gorgeous in the photo , and especially when lit up. 
    I had of course heard about the donation to Ireland from the Choctaw people. It's a very touching story. I've always been fascinated by their culture , and for some reason very drawn to them. 
    It was indeed an appalling time in Ireland. 
    Well done on embarking on yet another gargantuan challenge @Boudicca.  
    I'm going to follow your progress with interest. I know you'll do a terrific job with it. 
    I hope your flu has gone. It's so debilitating, and takes a while to recover completely , so take care of yourself and get back on track gradually. 

Boudicca
  • Hi @Hilary, this flu is a bugger, seems to come back for a second bite!
    I visited the famine museum in Skibbereen in 2009 and although I had an intellectual understanding of what had happened from reading various historical texts and stories from my family, the full extent of the horror didn't really hit me till I visited there. I have just finished Tim Pat Coogan's The Famine Plot and it's even more of an eye opener- highly recommended but not for the faint hearted.

• Lots of orange juice and multi-vitimins (wash 'em down with whiskey) that will help get you back to painting. An 18 oz ribeye steak wouldn't hurt either. Medical advice aside, I appreciate your devotion to your family and countrymen in all  your research and other work to get things right.
    Boudicca
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 22
    I love that your work is meaningful in that it involves so many people and events.  That means that the art you create now is going to live a long long time into the future and you will be remembered fondly. 
    Boudicca
  • Just the set up for this has been a bit of a journey.  This is the final one. I won’t be painting this till I get back from Uluru. 
    I went with Mark’s advice to paint what you love so after some more research and finding a couple more items to include- portrait of a Choctaw woman, old cigarette card of seed potatoes and making a replica of a relief ticket I’m happy. 

Richard_PSummerPaulBJulianna
  • edited November 13
    It sounds like this is going to be a pleasure for you to paint.  Painting script and words.  Good-onya!  This is by far the best version of what you were trying to set up.  The previous one was way too busy.  This one is much cleaner and has better lines of direction that bring the eyes down the composition.  The bone at the bottom push the eyes left, which for cultures who read left to right will make them circle back around into the piece.  It also has good color harmony as well.  If the grasshopper on top isn't integral to your spiritual connection to the piece you might consider editing it out.  It's not the same color family (is that a real thing?).  From a harmony standpoint it creates an eye magnet in a less than harmonic way.
  • wow @tonybluegoat    you sure do have a lot of advice for only just completing your first acrylic painting - @Boudicca is brilliant with oils and composition - I just think it is amusing that you speak as a mentor - don't get me wrong, opinions are opinions, but you are speaking from a chair of authority.  Were you a teacher at some time?  I was actually hoping to see @Boudicca had a chance to work some more on her masterpieces.  @Boudicca have you had a chance to pick up your beautiful paints again?  I miss your updates!
  • Thanks @tonybluegoat you are right about the colour of the grasshopper, it will probably go in as it has a political meaning however it will be a more toned down colour.
    @Julianna- my plan was to start this when I got back from Uluru - however while we were away my dog took the kangaroo pelvis bone off the set up and chewed it ha ha- little bits of bone all over the studio floor when I got back.  I have another similar pelvic bone which I just have to track down.
  • yikes!  You're probably lucky you still have a dog after eating that pelvis bone!  That is funny that he/she liked it so much to rip it off your set up!  My maltese just gets into my lipstick (it's organic and smells nice)   The color does not suit her.  I am looking forward to your updates and glad you are well.
  • Julianna said:
    yikes!  You're probably lucky you still have a dog after eating that pelvis bone!  That is funny that he/she liked it so much to rip it off your set up!  My maltese just gets into my lipstick (it's organic and smells nice)   The color does not suit her.  I am looking forward to your updates and glad you are well.
    OMG @Julianna..that’s like some sort of horror movie. You could take her out trick or treating with you LOL...
  • Very Nice set up. Maybe a softer shadow. Just a little bit a little bit. 
  • Julianna said:
    wow @tonybluegoat    you sure do have a lot of advice for only just completing your first acrylic painting - @Boudicca is brilliant with oils and composition - I just think it is amusing that you speak as a mentor - don't get me wrong, opinions are opinions, but you are speaking from a chair of authority.  Were you a teacher at some time?  I was actually hoping to see @Boudicca had a chance to work some more on her masterpieces.  @Boudicca have you had a chance to pick up your beautiful paints again?  I miss your updates!
    You paint very well.  Thank you for your comment.