Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New WIP- An Gorta Mor

This new painting is about the generosity and compassion of the Choctaw Nation during  An Gorta Mor (The Great Hunger) in Ireland.

Article http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40304645

Set up

PaulBKaustavRoxySummerForgivenessJulianna

Comments

• What a great story, @Boudicca. And what a great set up for another still life. It sure was a cruel time for Ireland.
    Boudicca
  • Great setup! Love the objects and the three dimensional feel with the shadows and values. Looking forward to this one!!
    Boudicca
  • Looking forward to seeing this grow - I like this style and maybe one day I can attempt one 
    Boudicca
  • Yay!!!!   I am so excited to see this progress!!!  
    PaulBBoudicca
  • Still in research mode, interesting video about the process of the Kindred Spirits sculpture

Summer
  • What type of light are you using (please mention the specifics). I need a bright 5000k light which will work as my studio and still life light.
  • @kaustav this is what I use in my studio

What i I have noticed is that over time(maybe 12 months) the light gets dimmer. I have recently put a new one in. 
    Kaustav
  • Thanks. What I am getting is 6500K (home lights). 5000k is either not available or very expensive

• After research, finalised set up. I've painted the praying mantis a more realistic green and the little lizard has been painted to resemble a blue tailed skink(long story). Most  items have a symbolic meaning related to the Irish famine and the Choctaw people. This 'flu has knocked me around a bit and slowed me down, hopefully I can get some painting done now.

Summererg
  • Such an interesting project and so challenging. 
    Believe it or not , I had never heard of this monument in Cork , and I visit Cork on a regular basis. A beautiful part of the country. 
    Next time I go , I'll visit the monument. It looks gorgeous in the photo , and especially when lit up. 
    I had of course heard about the donation to Ireland from the Choctaw people. It's a very touching story. I've always been fascinated by their culture , and for some reason very drawn to them. 
    It was indeed an appalling time in Ireland. 
    Well done on embarking on yet another gargantuan challenge @Boudicca.  
    I'm going to follow your progress with interest. I know you'll do a terrific job with it. 
    I hope your flu has gone. It's so debilitating, and takes a while to recover completely , so take care of yourself and get back on track gradually. 

Boudicca
  • Hi @Hilary, this flu is a bugger, seems to come back for a second bite!
    I visited the famine museum in Skibbereen in 2009 and although I had an intellectual understanding of what had happened from reading various historical texts and stories from my family, the full extent of the horror didn't really hit me till I visited there. I have just finished Tim Pat Coogan's The Famine Plot and it's even more of an eye opener- highly recommended but not for the faint hearted.

• Lots of orange juice and multi-vitimins (wash 'em down with whiskey) that will help get you back to painting. An 18 oz ribeye steak wouldn't hurt either. Medical advice aside, I appreciate your devotion to your family and countrymen in all  your research and other work to get things right.
    Boudicca
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 22
    I love that your work is meaningful in that it involves so many people and events.  That means that the art you create now is going to live a long long time into the future and you will be remembered fondly. 
    Boudicca
  • Just the set up for this has been a bit of a journey.  This is the final one. I won’t be painting this till I get back from Uluru. 
    I went with Mark’s advice to paint what you love so after some more research and finding a couple more items to include- portrait of a Choctaw woman, old cigarette card of seed potatoes and making a replica of a relief ticket I’m happy. 

Richard_PSummerPaulBJulianna