Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Adding a green to the palette?

Hello I was wondering if anyone has added a green to their palette, and if there are any recommendations for a green to add that is directly opposite red?  Normally with Mark Carders palette you add blue and yellow of you need to tone down a reddish colour, but I experimented with some pthalo green I had left over from the non limited palette days, and this seemed to work quite nicely, however I suspect the pthalo is slightly bluish in comparison to the true green that is opposite red.  Alternatively if I shouldn't add green and just stick to blue and yellow - perhaps I should hear it :) 

Comments

• I haven't felt the need of a green in addition to mix a yellow and blue. I have three tubes of sap green two of pthalo blues. So far I failed to use any of those (tried very hard though).
    You can use sap green for trees to finish those unused tubes. Mix red, yellow, blue, orange for various conditions. But this is a useless color.

Phalo is more unnatural green. Pthalo green is more useful for sea green water sometimes if you have real bright blue-green color. Other areas could be road signs (mixed with white) and artificial lighting effects on faces, rooms etc. I don't see any other cases where I could use a Pthalo.
    Flatty
  • edited September 13
    @jamesa444uk, I sometimes use viridian when I need a very pure green. It can be warmed with red/yellow or cooled with blue. However, most of the time I just use the standard DMP black mixed with yellow which gives a green bright enough for most landscape purposes.
  • If you need an opaque (and natural) green then Yellow Oxide (PY42) mixed with a Pthalo Green (PG7 or PG36 - Yellow shade) works really well. Ultramarine with Cadmium Yellow isn't as opaque as Ultramarine is semi-transparent.
  • I'm sticking to the limited palette.  Green is a derivative color, so I don't need it, and I can mix (almost) any green I want from blue and yellow.  Using green paint limits that a little.  I do have cadmium red and phthalo blue for cases where I do need that certain color, but I don't generally use them.

Furthermore, mixing colors is easy with the limited palette.  Introducing phthalo colors makes for unpredictable mixing qualities.  For example, if I want my color to be more blue, I can only add so much phthalo before it overpowers the color, and makes it hard to clean the brush.

It all boils down to the fact that you are trying to achieve a color mix, and it doesn't matter how you get there.  Green paint is just a potentially convenient starting point, but what it saves me is touching my brush into both blue and yellow, not much of a win.  You still have to mix the color you want, because the one in the tube is never it.
    tassieguyRenoirRosanne
  • I agree that green is a derivative colour, but sometimes, I guess I am lazy. I added a Williamsburg Italian Terre Verte for emergencies (OK, I admit, I use, and make, a LOT of green ;) ).  While I don't always use it, it's nice to have.
  • Am I the only one who uses black and yellow to get greens?  My most beautiful greens are from this combination.  Color charts are extremely helpful with matters such as this.  The black and yellow surprised me.  
    Summer
  • edited October 6
    Yup, that's my basic green, @Julianna. I can warm it with red or cool it with blue and lighten it with white as needed. Very occasionally I will use a touch of viridian. 
    Julianna
  • Viridian. It's a magic color. Most viridian are Pthalo labeled as viridian. But the real deal about 30 for a small tube. It is truly magic.
    Julianna
  • SummerSummer -
    edited November 3
    If you really want to take a walk on the dark side, and use black from tubes, I enjoyed this little walkabout:

For me, I just need to know what is in the black tubes so I can control warm and cool and drying times.  And I like to know about their properties, are they colors or hues.

Juliannadencal
  • blue and yellow or black and yellow will get you what you need. save pthalos for cars or other un-natural colors. If you use a lot of greens you may want to make green batches from limited palette and save them in jars. that's OK too.

• How how can you not love viridian. This is the real deal not pthalo. 
    Mixed with aliarian and white. Look at that violet. Wow. 
    This is the old color very emerald. 
    Julianna
  • edited November 6
    what brand viridian do you use?  Lukas?   I just tried it with my w&n viridian - your colors are more beautiful.
  • @Julianna  I use the Lukas real viridian about $75 for 200 ml tube
    Julianna
  • I love viridian. I have the real McCoy. I do a lot of landscapes with different greens and, while I can get most of them with black and yellow or blue and yellow, viridian helps me reach the more vibrant greens. Also, if you mix it with a dark crimson such as quinacridone you get a really deep black. But I wouldn't use it for that. Cheaper to use BU and UB.
    Julianna
  • that is very interesting @tassieguy @Kingston   I don't believe I have ever known about the wonders of viridian.  Thank you
  • tassieguy said:
    I love viridian. I have the real McCoy. I do a lot of landscapes with different greens and, while I can get most of them with black and yellow or blue and yellow, viridian helps me reach the more vibrant greens. Also, if you mix it with a dark crimson such as quinacridone you get a really deep black. But I wouldn't use it for that. Cheaper to use BU and UB.
    Which brand Viridian do you use @tassieguy?
  • I have a small tube of Windsor and Newton. I only ever use a tiny amount as it is quite expensive. Most times I can get by without it. Art Spectrum has a colour they call viridian "hue" but I don't think it's real viridian. Langridge doesn't have it but it looks like their phthalo green would come close.
    Boudicca
  • tassieguy said:
    I have a small tube of Windsor and Newton. I only ever use a tiny amount as it is quite expensive. Most times I can get by without it. Art Spectrum has a colour they call viridian "hue" but I don't think it's real viridian. Langridge doesn't have it but it looks like their phthalo green would come close.
    I went to my local art shop and I found an AS Viridian, I asked if it was real Viridian and they couldn’t tell me!! I checked the pigment code- (PG18) so it’s the real deal at $37, there was also AS Viridian hue which I gave a miss. So AS do make it, maybe just not stocked at your store. The only W&N at my store is the water mixable line.
  • Cheers, @Boudicca.

If the pigment code says so then I guess the AS is the real McCoy. It's supposed to be hydrated chromium(III) oxide which I understand is (PG18). But that's too technical  for me. :)
    Julianna
  • Let us know how you find the viridian, @Boudicca. I think it's gorgeous. But, then, I'm a greenie.
    BoudiccaJulianna