Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Teachers Day Special

I am not too fond of school teachers. All my favorite ones worked in offices and taught mathematics, science and other subjects.

But this is my tribute to the teachers who influenced me to take art very seriously. One leads to the other. John Constable and Monet - biggest influences.

Mark Carder and Stefan Baumann. Both follow similar theory. One for studio and one for outdoors.

BoudiccaSummerrautchetananweshaForgivenessBancroft414Renoir

Comments

• I enjoy Stefan too, judging by one of his YouTube comments, he holds Mark in high regard.
  • Boudicca said:
    I enjoy Stefan too, judging by one of his YouTube comments, he holds Mark in high regard.
    Can you please let me know which video/topic it was?
  • The Monet influence is evident (obvious) in your work.
    SummerRenoir
  • @BOB73 yeah  Bob. I wanted to paint outdoors since I was 16 but somehow it never happened. All of these except one were genuine outdoor painters. All pioneers in their own ways, Constable - one of the pioneers of outdoor painting; Monet and all others - pioneers of producing finished artworks outdoors; Baumann- first to paint in the US national parks. Most surprising thing is that Mark who is a studio artist cleared all my doubts and opened my eyes!
    BOB73
  • Kaustav said:
    Boudicca said:
    I enjoy Stefan too, judging by one of his YouTube comments, he holds Mark in high regard.
    Can you please let me know which video/topic it was?
    Hi @Kaustav, I, for the life of me can't remember which one. But it was in the comments section and it went something along the lines of:
    hi Stefan you and Mark Carder should make a video together
    Stefan- I would love to make a video with Mark

That's kind of the gist of it. I remember thinking how cool that would be. 
    Kaustav
  • @Boudicca ; it would certainly be an experience to remember. Both follow a similar approach but for different things. Maybe Mark can go outdoors and Stefan painting a still life composed by Mark!  :p
    BoudiccaSummer
  • I think if you see this guy's work with landscapes and illustration you would be impressed:
    Image result for paintings by Charles Fritz
    This is Charles Fritz. He followed the journals of the 1803-1806 Lewis and Clark expedition going to the locations to paint many of the 88 scenes described in the journals. L&C expedition didn't have an artist with them at the time. John Constable would have made an excellent choice. Landscape painting in America hadn't really become popular then. But when L&C stories of the wondrous views in the west were told they sparked the adventure in great numbers of people including artists. Paintings of the west started appearing in the 1830's including those areas that would become national parks. Of course Fritz didn't come along till the 1990s but I really like his works. They are among the first that didn't have that romanticism feel to them that early landscape artists all had (Albert Bierstadt for example). Baumann has a little of that influence too and so does Charles Russell but Russell's paintings smell like gun powder and horse pis sweat.
    anweshaForgivenessKaustavRenoir
  • BOB73 said:
    The Monet influence is evident (obvious) in your work.
    @BOB73 ; I used to paint like the impressionists a few years ago but nowadays I stopped painting with dabs of paint. Charles Fritz: How difficult it was in those days. Obviously, they didn't know it. Before very late 19th century the world was a very different place. Could you please mention the timeline in which these paintings were produced. These are not written anywhere.

• @Kaustav.  Charles Fritz is actually a modern day plein-air painter who decided to go out to the actual locations were certain events happened (during 1803-06 Lewis & Clark expedition) he had copies of the actual journals and notes and letters of others on the expedition who described the events and locations. Fritz was a student of the Hudson River School (not a school but an organization of artists started in 1830-40). Like John Constable, they were landscape artists who were changing the genre from Romanticism to Realism refusing to be influenced by European artists they influenced each other and developed the modern landscape. In late 1980s and 1990s Fritz started out to make 10 paintings to represent the expedition and did 88 total. A little googling will get you some fantastic views and articles. These are historical illustrations but beautifully rendered in the actual location of the events. Most are in prominent museums including two National Park Museums. http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/5aa/5aa338.htm   also here is a list of Hudson River artists. I'm sure you will recognize some of the names. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hudson_River_School_artists