Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Tinted primer: Carder Brown

I got myself a bucket of "Carder Brown" paint, for priming wood panels.  This was mixed in the store from acrylic primer with a tint added.  No longer will I prime twice then stain.

It's actually a little lighter in value than I wanted, being two values lighter than the Geneva glass palette, but it doesn't really matter, and I'll just darken the next one.

Comments

• I hope you will let us know how or if the oil paint you place on top sinks in and to what degree.  If some or all of the colors become dead, flat, and lose their luster and you have to oil out and repaint certain colors--or all of them.  I'm still working out these issues myself with the several methods I have tried for preparing substrates for painting so far.  I'm certainly going to use a method in the future that requires less work.  Good luck with this.  Summer
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited September 2
    @Summer, yes, I'll report back.

I just primed/stained 17 panels, so once they receive two coats and dry, I'll begin working with them.  Almost everything I've done so far has been on white primer, so I'm assuming this will behave the same.
    Summer
  • And I thought 6 at a time was a lot of work!  Hmm.
  • ....17???
    I got a bit carried away.
    Boudicca
  • Did you paint the walls with it too? :)
    PaulB
  • Richard_P said:
    Did you paint the walls with it too? :)
    I did not, but thinking about it, what better color for a studio wall?
    Weatherford
  • Thus is quite ingenious. Very curious tonsee how it turns out? 
  • Update: I primed two panels, each with two coats brushed on in orthogonal directions.

Here you see:

Left: veneered particle board.
    Right: Masonite, or what I thought was Masonite - thinner, smoother and tougher than the particle board
    Background: Dibond

I think this primer is thicker, or more likely I used a bit too much, but the fake "tooth" I was going for was not achieved and levelling occurred.  The color is not quite dark enough, but it is neutral and is good enough, not just because I have 0.99 gallons left.

I might try a third sparing coat to see if that helps.
    RenoirBancroft414dencal
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 7
    PaulB said:
    I got myself a bucket of "Carder Brown" paint, for priming wood panels.  This was mixed in the store from acrylic primer with a tint added.  No longer will I prime twice then stain.

It's actually a little lighter in value than I wanted, being two values lighter than the Geneva glass palette, but it doesn't really matter, and I'll just darken the next one.
    Also, we can add oil colors right from the tube into the last white primer layer mix.  Van Gogh liked to add grey or pink to the last primer layer.  I prefer Carder Brown too.   :)