Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Does Mark's colour mixing video apply to 6 colours?

symzasymza -
edited September 1 in Color Mixing
Might be an obvious one but can someone let me know if I can use Mark's video to practice mixing paints other than Geneva paints. For example, I want to practice with 6 paints (2 biases of each primary). How can I adapt the method to get mixes with those?

Thanks!
Link to the video:

Comments

• Just mix your own biases ahead of time with Geneva paints.  red, warm red, cool red.  yellow, warm yellow, cool yellow.  blue, warm blue, cool blue.  Very good idea. 
    BoudiccaEliza
  • Not sure what you mean Summer.
  • Yes the method works with all paints and however many colors you want. The video shows that you can get to nearly all colors in nature with a limited pallet of 4 colors plus white. Here's the video that talks about the advantages of a limited palette. 

• SummerSummer -
    edited September 1
    @symza ; Not sure of what you mean either.  The thing about Geneva paints is that they are pure colors as much as they can be.  That is that the primaries are not biased towards warm or cool so we can safely mix warm or cool colors from the Geneva paint colors using basic color theory.  Now, you can mix other brands with Geneva paints without any problems if you know what you are doing.  You mentioned warm and cool.  If you are using other brands to specifically mix warm or cool, you have to know what the biases are ahead of time in every tube of non-Geneva paint to maintain control.  That is a lot of extra work for me when I do this.  Hope this makes sense.  Summer  
    Eliza
  • Please note that I asked about paints 'other' than geneva brand ... geneva options are one red, one yellow, one blue ... I am asking about mixing other brands paints (non geneva) with 2 biases of each primary. Lemon yellow, cad yellow, aliz crimson, cad red, Ultra blue, Pthalo Blue. Hope this is clearer. :)
  • Yes the method works with other brands of paint. I use Windsor & Newton and some other cheapie brands too. Many use Langridge (probably spelled it wrong) most of us that don't use Geneva mix our paints with Marks formula of slow-dry-medium for leveling and smoothness as well as slow dry properties. Note that cad red and Phthalo blue are very strong tints. You should always try to get to your color with the other biases first then add the "power" colors judiciously to adjust from there.
    symza
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2
    If the question is can you use Mark's instruction videos with other brands, the answer is yes.  Thanks @BOB73.  I was just pointing out that you have to consider the purity of other brands when you start mixing for warm and cool.  Thanks for your question.
    symzaEliza
  • edited September 2
    Same principle can be followed. Because there is no other principle in subtraction color mixing.

Andrew Tischler's is split primary palette+other 2-3 handy colors but he also explains mixing split primary colors then changing the order of split colors in mixing; separate mixing demos of cool primaries (like Mark's) and warm primaries.

Here is something from Walcott Fine Art
    on basic primary

on split primary

symzaBoudiccaRenoir
  • @symza ; this might be a good time to remind everyone that Mark Carder's Method or the DMP method is something he developed for beginners to LEARN the fundamentals of painting with oils and painting realism, mostly wet in wet ala prima style. It was so good that seasoned painters figured this method would help them improve and further develop their own ways of doing things. If you are still learning how to mix paints it would be beneficial to stick to the method until you have some experience and can quickly mix any color you want (within the limitations of the limited palette). It's likely that having too many colors on the palette might slow down the learning process. 
    PaulBRenoirRoxyRosanne