Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What I do with leftover paint.

edited August 31 in General Discussion
As a way to not be so miserly with laying out paint on my palette I starting using the leftover paint to make little abstract paintings.
After I have completed a painting I scrape of the remainder of the paint a smear it onto a small 5"x7" canvas panel. Some of the paint is dried into a film, I use that as well. Once the panel is covered I look to see if anything emerges then work with that.
I then put them into little inexpensive frames.
Here are a couple of my favourites.

just adding- I'm not expecting any critiquing on these as they are obviously not realism.

War on Waste

What Lies Beneath

They are are very highly textured and completely different to the paintings that the paint was originally used for.
also a way of doubling output!
RenoirdencalSummertassieguyKaustavRoxyJulianna

Comments

• @Boudicca I love this.  I had some pretty, light sgaded of salmon, bud green, aqua, pale pink, and grey brown . I made a stylized floral abstract and I love it. I have a hard time 'wasting' things 
  • They're wonderful, @Boudicca - better than some of the abstract landscapes that were finalists in some recent competitions.  And what a great way to use leftover paint.
    PaulBBOB73Forgiveness
  • edited August 31
    All of them are extreme and beautifully painted. Composition is also excellent.I used to paint abstracts that way then I found my own way. Excellent use of colors and it is good for you to explore this amazing technique.
    BOB73Forgiveness
  • Thankyou @Renoir @tassieguy and @Kaustav
    Kaustav, I find it seems to use a different part of my creative brain to do these little abstracts, and because they are small and using up paint that would be wasted I feel freer to experiment.
    RenoirForgiveness
  • A great way to vent and let your frustrations loose too. These are similar to my finished paintings but I wasn't going for abstract. I see birds in there, was that intentional or am I just interpreting?
    ForgivenessBoudicca
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 1
    @Boudicca ; Did you feel a need to add any extra oil to the thicker layers of paint in these masterpieces?  The impasto layers?  I'm even adding extra oil to the second and third bites of my salads these days.  Fat over lean is too much on my mind.   :) 
  • BOB73 said:
    A great way to vent and let your frustrations loose too. These are similar to my finished paintings but I wasn't going for abstract. I see birds in there, was that intentional or am I just interpreting?
    That's the beaty of abstract, was it intentional or is it your interpretation?
    RenoirForgivenessBOB73

• Summer said:
    @Boudicca ; Did you feel a need to add any extra oil to the thicker layers of paint in these masterpieces?  The impasto layers?  Please excuse the question, I know it's excessive.  I'm even adding extra oil to the second and third bites of my salads these days.   :) 
    Nope,  I just scrape that paint off the palette and slap it on the canvas. I guess you are referring to the fat over lean scenario? I'm not too concerned about archival issues with these, I'm not selling them. As I said in my first post, I even scrape off the dried paint and use that, however I put the wet paint down first and layer the dried paint over that, makes for some interesting textures.
    SummerRenoirJulianna
  • Probably not necessary anyway.  I hope that you will keep photos of them as they are now to preserve how beautiful they are.  :)
    Forgiveness
  • These are fantastic! as these work for you, I believe that's the whole idea! Beautiful abstracts!
    Boudicca
  • also there is the option of mixing them altogether and saving in a jar to tone canvass with.
    all the colors mixed together will produce a dirty gray
    Boudicca