Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Painting while traveling

I am planning a trip to Italy next year to visit relatives and to paint. What do you recommend taking or sending over in order to use the Carder system. Also, getting your work back home. 
Riccardo

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited August 29
    Riccardo

Airlines will not allow any solvents to be carried. Nor will they allow any product with a flashpoint below 61 degrees. Print out Materials Safety Data Sheets for each product you carry to demonstrate compliance.

That being said there is great scope to cobble together a Carder outfit for air travel. Italy will have any product you need and can't carry. Here is the list of permissible Winsor and Newton products;

There should be no problem with Geneva paint as it is solvent free.

Make, borrow, buy or steal a pochade box with wet panel storage. Use ZipLock bags for wet brush transport containing some brush dip.

I would use Yupo, a polypropylene product instead of panels or canvas. You will need to satisfy yourself that Yupo meets your needs.

Denis

Bancroft414BarbaraSummer
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 29
    Riccardo

Forgot to mention, you will need Liquin to ensure your paint dries in a day or two.
    Buy this in Italy.

Denis

• Buy a Utrecht 5X7 pochade box. No tripods needed. Buy small tubes of red, yellow, blue brown and white. Quick drying medium and thinner can be bought where you are going. Homemade 5X7 panels. Brushes need to cut into smaller sizes to fit into the box. Use the ones that are not so good. Thinners can be kept in a bigger jar inside your backpack or a side bag.
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited August 29
    If it was me and I had a reliable translator I would buy my supplies there. That's one of the most fun things about traveling. Personally I don't care for the pochade boxes especially the small ones. Because they are so popular with great artists it gives me an inferiority complex that I don't like the things. I also don't care for them because I'd have to cut those beautiful long handles down. Also I don't like to limit my canvases to postcard size. I would paint on stretched canvas that can be rolled for shipping in tubes or panels packed in a wood slip box for shipping. For the actual field trips you would have to have a wet panel carrier but these are easy to make from local wood suppliers. Do they have Home Depot in Naples? Don't forget a good camera get photos of what you paint and it wouldn't hurt to have a photo of you painting. The toughest thing ahead is figuring out what Italian oils best represent the Geneva red Yellow and blue titwhite and burnt umber ought to be easy. If you plan to use Carder method including slow dry medium it would be better to get Geneva and ship them over to your destination in a couple pairs of shoes. He may not be able to get a license to ship them overseas but you don't need one.
  • Hey @BOB73 ; translator is in your cell phone...Google Translator. It would communicate vocally as well! We use that everyday in the office when we cannot make out a sentence of a non-English article! :p
    BOB73PaulBRenoir
  • Riccardo

Happened on this video today and thought you might get some tips.

Denis

• Riccardo, I tried to travel with oil paints in the states and was unable to get them past check in.  Fortunately I had a neighbor that worked at the airport and was able to get them to my family, otherwise due to being rushed I would not have had enough time to take care of them at the airport and been out a few hundred bucks.  
    KaustavSummer
  • Thanks for all your responses. I will be traveling to northeast Italy, in the Dolomites, where I have family. I speak Italian so conversing with possible supply sources will not be a problem. I have been there many times before but never to paint. Picture taking was always my thing. I have a French easel which I could take or ship over prior to going. What I am not sure of is the glass pallet (if not glass what)  and types of canvass to use or bring which would make shipping home easier.  What do you recommend about shipping pieces back to the States? I can leave my work with relatives until dry and have them ship it home to me.

• Hi @Riccardo, one way regarding canvas is to use unstreched canvas taped to a board, then when dry they can be rolled into a postal tube to be sent home.
    A wooden palette would be fine.
    Summer