Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Newest oil painting: "Naoai"

edited August 28 in Post Your Paintings
​"Naoai" - original oil painting on 45cm x 33cm linen canvas

This is an oil painting of Naoai, a maiko (apprentice geisha) from the Kamishichiken district of Kyoto, Japan.  I live about 10 minutes by bike from this district and it is definitely my favorite geisha district in Kyoto.

Available at: http://philcouture.com/  or email: mail@philcouture.com

RenoirWIKENtassieguyRichard_PmovealonghomeFlattyKaustavMartin_J_CranevinumblankSummerForgivenessanweshaBoudiccaArtistMartin1ElizamjkeaneyHilaryWillisKschabenmichalis

Comments

• The face is remarkable. So well done. I love the face and how details are subjugated as the eye gets farther away from the face. 
    Renoir
  • edited August 28
    hey @PhilCouture      Could you please introduce yourself and tell us how this relates to DMP?  I see you have been on this forum off and on for some time, you post beautiful work and link to your websites.  Are you trying to sell your paintings to us?  Are you looking for feedback?  How does this relate to DMP?  Are you in the process of experimenting, using Geneva oils?

SummerPaulBcadia
  • Beautiful!   Brushwork, texture, values, composition, colour ... all delightful.
  • Nice site. Wish your pictures were bigger though.
  • Excellent brushwork. I like your loose approach on areas other than the face. i love the shadows that you created...very Sargentlike.
  • Phil Couture  Thank you for showing us this recent painting of yours.  It shows just the right amount of blending in the face countered with beautifully abstracted parts of the rest of the painting.  A real fit for this forum.  I found a recent Google Images search of you and your paintings to be truly amazing for someone as young as yourself.  Continued good fortune with your career.  Summer   
  • Thank you Phil Couture, it's always a real pleasure to see your work! All the best in the future.
  • Wow! amazing work and subjects..
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    Julianna said:
    hey @PhilCouture      Could you please introduce yourself and tell us how this relates to DMP?  I see you have been on this forum off and on for some time, you post beautiful work and link to your websites.  Are you trying to sell your paintings to us?  Are you looking for feedback?  How does this relate to DMP?  Are you in the process of experimenting, using Geneva oils?

I feel the need to address your concerns 
    first and foremost Phill has been a member since 2013. Introductions once established are not and should not be expected. I don't believe posting your site is a no no but I'll check. 
    We all want to see DMP methods posted however it's not required to post paintings as long as it relates to painting realism. 

I can can assure you Phill does not need this forum to sell his art. 

I hope this clears thins up for you

Flatty

BOB73Forgiveness
  • @Flatty - Thanks for clarifying. So are 'impressionistic' realism paintings ok? I suppose something on the line of Seurat, Sargent, Toulouse-Lautrec? Thank you in advance for your input!
  • I looked back at some comments @PhilCouture made in the past and found this one to be particularly informing and insightful:

Thank you for the wonderful comments! Robert, I am primarily self-taught and my training includes many many many hours of copying paintings done by Sargent, Velasquez, Waterhouse, etc as well as copying plates from Charles Bargue's book (extremely beneficial for developing your hand-eye relationship). Also, drawing and painting from life is essential as well as visiting as many museums to study the Great Masters in person. Alla prima is my preferred method of painting, but sometimes, I do enjoy layering. When I am not painting on wood, I prefer using oil primed linen, as the range of effects are excellent. I'm still learning and experimenting and always trying to get better! Thanks again for the kind words!
    SummerBOB73Forgiveness
  • I noticed Phil's work last year. I was visiting the site long before joining as a member. He does amazing realism and his compositions are fantastic. You college trained artists know the technique he employs to make the face the focal point by reducing the detail in surrounding elements, it has a name but I can't think of it just now. @Flatty Thanks for stepping in and thanks again for stepping up. 
    Forgiveness
  • I noticed Phil's work earlier this year and went through his past postings from the beginning here. Always impressed!
  • edited October 13
    Congrats to @PhilCouture, 3rd place in the August 2017 Boldbrush awards, for “Naoai”

http://faso.com/boldbrush/winners/200
  • So beautiful, so delicate , such luminosity. 
    It’s a great example of what Mark talks about when explaining subtly. 
  • That's wonderful news about Phil Couture. He deserves to win. His paintings are exquisite!
    anwesha