Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Critiquing Paintings. Please read

Artists gain a lot of benefit from both critiquing the work of others and having their work critiqued.
If you would like your painting critiqued please include:
size, medium, support, and any additional information you think would assist forum members in critiquing your work for example - just beginning and would like some comments about how the values in the painting have been executed or; my intent was to create a feeling of calm.

Whether you are new here or an old hand your input into the work of others is of value.
 Respectful and honest critiques can be of great benefit and help us all improve our work.

If you wish to share your work without critique's then let members know that this is a share only post and your approach will be respected. All posts are welcomed!! It's great to see new artists post their first DMP. Seeing them grow and the work improving. It is equally wonderful to see work that our seasoned forum members create. 

Happy Painting!!

Fatty

BOB73SummerMartin_J_CraneBoudiccaKaustavForgivenessMoksartRenoirIrishcajunJuliannaerg

Comments

• @Flatty I could not agree more.  FYI to everyone on this forum, always ALWAYS critique my work.  I cannot see what everyone else sees all the time.  I get so focused mentally in my art world that everything around me vanishes.  I get so used to seeing a portrait or whatever subject matter when I'm painting that I forget what is actually in front of me and not my translation (or version) of it on my canvas or linen.  You cannot improve as an artist without healthy criticism.  I constantly ask my parents to critique my work because I know they see something that I may overlook or forget about.  A fresh set of eyes is invaluable.
    PaulBdencalBoudiccaSummerRenoirConnieS
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 28
    Hello fellow members.  As I post paintings and sometimes just commentary, I invite critiques, and any light-hearted emotional reactions and humor from other members of any skill level.  Thank you.
    Summer

Here is a site that Denis recommended from another thread on this topic that I thought was interesting:  critique guidelines. http://m.wikihow.com/Critique-Artwork

dencalForgiveness
  • I am open to all types of feedback from anyone who cares to contribute and generally try to include all the basic information about a painting. I am especially interested in discussions of my compositions, perspective, depth and aesthetics.  I often ask the forum for very specific assistance regarding the treatment of technical aspects of the work.  I may not use all the advise I get but I appreciate every comment.  I am just an amateur with little experience and very specific goals.  I have made no secret of the fact that I started late and have specialized so that I can get good at one thing.  If I am ever satisfied I might branch out.  So far the forum has been one of the three legs on the stool.  The first being Mark, and the third being my own willingness to practice and fail sometimes.
    BOB73
  • I am open to all constructive critique. I have ample opportunity to improve as I am less than amateurish. It's important to remember where we were and how far we've come. It is nice to hear both sides of the critique: what's done well and what needs improvement. But we don't grow from platitudes and pablum. This is what I value most about this forum.
  • If I ever paint something I will be eager to hear from y'all. 
    RenoirSummer
  • i'll take critiqics anytime plz

• In a follow-through from posts on another thread I'd like to suggest that the critiques posted in this Forum, in general, are very often far too weak. There's too much ego stroking, too much mollycoddling and not enough actual criticism. I think the problem is the 'constructive' part of 'constructive criticism'. It means not being negative just to be negative and unhelpful, it does not mean don't say anything negative. I remember one drawing class I attended where the supervisor would pass from student to student saying their work was 'fine' or 'very good' and then move on. Once I stopped him and asked for a more detailed opinion. He then spent a good 15 minutes tearing my drawing apart. This supervisor was not doing his job properly. It doesn't help anyone to dismiss requests for critiques with platitudes. Just my opinion though - happy to acknowledge others opinions. 
    tgarneycbor47
  • @KevinGE , if you please, how then was your comment of "I call BS" any of the things you mention in the above comment?  "I call BS" is more nonsensical than "Fine". Critiquing art is an art in and of itself - In one of my classes, we critiqued each other's work - you stood in front of the class with your work and fellow students who wanted to add their perspective, were welcome to chime in and offer opinions.  It was mandatory to sandwich critiques with a positive statement - critique/offer suggestions and end with a positive statement - the other big no-no was to declare your opinion as fact "That work is sh.t"; "That is BS" etc...  It is best to keep your mouth shut if you want to declare a negative and not offer a helpful suggestion.  Does that make sense? 
  • A few years ago, I had done a painting where the background wasn't working. I knew it and it needed changing. I'll never forget this exchange since it helped me realize that even with a great painting, there's room for improvement. I had changed the background and there was some discussion on whether or not it was better than the original. A fellow artist, with many years of experience in painting, pushed me to be better, to not be afraid to change it, to scrape it and start over and keep pushing for excellence. 

Critique is great. Wording it correctly and with some tact is nice too. :)
    JuliannatassieguyRenoir
  • edited September 9
    Julianna said:
    @KevinGE , if you please, how then was your comment of "I call BS" any of the things you mention in the above comment?  "I call BS" is more nonsensical than "Fine". Critiquing art is an art in and of itself - In one of my classes, we critiqued each other's work - you stood in front of the class with your work and fellow students who wanted to add their perspective, were welcome to chime in and offer opinions.  It was mandatory to sandwich critiques with a positive statement - critique/offer suggestions and end with a positive statement - the other big no-no was to declare your opinion as fact "That work is sh.t"; "That is BS" etc...  It is best to keep your mouth shut if you want to declare a negative and not offer a helpful suggestion.  Does that make sense? 

@Julianna, you comments do make sense but my 'BS' comment was not in reference to the painting but to the claim that it was the first painting this person had ever painted. A point he later conceded. So that exchange isn't really relevant here. I get though that it's good to add positive points along with negatives. It can come across as a bit tepid and doesn't always get the job done but it is a valid approach. Language is about communication - too often 'tact' is just sanctimonious grandstanding and not communication. This is particularly true here, too often people are claiming to critique when their real intensions seems to be to just advertise how nice they are. At least that's my view. This is of no value to artists seeking constructive criticism.
    BOB73anweshaJuliannaopnwyderRenoirerg
  • @KevinGE Each painter is free to ask for critique or not and to ask that it be thorough or gentle. To what end is an excoriating 'critique'? I would posit that it would be the 'critiquer' who would thus risk being the 'sanctimonious grandstander'.  
    Many of us are amateurs or have not engaged in our art for years. How would 'gotchya' technique be beneficial to them? The risk is that they would then cease engaging in their art altogether. I love this forum for that very reason. I have found that if a member chooses to comment, they usually focus on a specific aspect of the art and that is beneficial to all. 
    Peace
    PaulBergtassieguymichalis
  • @Renoir, your comment on "....would thus risk being the 'sanctimonious grandstander'. " is exactly my point  - but I'm talking about those that overly praise whereas I think you're talking about what you perceive as negative criticism. I also take on board your comment about the website being mainly for amateurs - but actually I suspect very many, especially those that frequently post, are not truly amateurs. I do like the idea of asking for grades of criticism, not sure its entirely valid (gentle criticism???), but it is a reasonable thing to ask for and we can indeed act in that spirit. However, art criticism is not: 'do y'all love me', it has a formal meaning and in art is delivered in a formal way. That way isn't to just heap praise on an artist and there is a positive reason for this - because it makes for more interesting reading and hence better art. This website could be just about ego stroking but do you all, amateur and pro, really want that? Show of hands, everyone who just wants to be told that their work is 'absolutely, fabulously good by a wonderful artiste', flag this post as 'off topic'. Those that have insight and want to improve and want help flag it as 'LOL'. Because y'know, no work of art is ever perfect. A guy often on here in the past - Kingston, wrote a scathing critic about one of my paintings, did I take offense, no, because he was right and I wanted to learn. We need more of that!    
    tassieguyjarube
  • I guess those who would welcome a "scathing critique" would be able to note that on their posts. I agree that I don't particularly want a Facebook type situation where counting likes and awesomes becomes the aim of the game however I think it is important to be encouraging of people, especially those who are learning the DMP method.
    tassieguyRenoirFlattyJulianna
  • I think it is important to be encouraging of people, especially those who are learning the DMP method. Oh. You already said that. Nuff said!
    Bancroft414
  • Encouraging, yes, I agree, no argument from me on that
    PaulB
  • Please give feedback to any work I post. I usually can see weakness and mistakes, but I use the forum to get confirmation that problems need to be addressed and not just the artists curse effecting my judgement.
    PaulBRenoirBancroft414
  • tgarney said:
    Please give feedback to any work I post. I usually can see weakness and mistakes, but I use the forum to get confirmation that problems need to be addressed and not just the artists curse effecting my judgement.
    That's a very good way to think about it.
    Renoir
  • Hello All! I learn a great deal from this forum and welcome feedback on my WIP posts.  I usually post what I know still needs to be addressed and typically invite additional observations and suggestions.  I am definitely at the early stage of my learning curve. I'm not particularly thin-skinned. And I may or may not agree with your opinion about what my painting still needs or doesn't need -- as it sometimes happens posts have varied regarding elements that are working or not working.  I welcome it all as food for thought.  Cheers!
    Flatty
  • Many an art book I have read tell you to show your paintings to family and friends,so you can get feedback on how good or not so good your paintings are, but!, to me this is bad advice, are family and close friends going to tell you the truth,I'm afraid not. When someone asks me to do a painting for them, they ask me for a price and I sincerely tell them to wait till you see the painting before we discuss a price and if you don't think I have captured the person or the scene in the photo then truthfully tell me because I can always use the canvas again, you are not doing me or you any favours to say you like it when you don't and then pay for it, I know someone who paid an other artist for a painting of Bob Dylan, paid for it, but wasn't happy with it  so there are people who would do this, I always get a surprised look when I make this statement and I repeat this in the finale viewing. That's why I for one like this forum for hopefully honest feedback,last week I posted a painting and got feedback on mistakes made which I took on board, I am not making any excuses but some photos of paintings posted have lost some quality, but overall the critique is spot on, keep up the good work......   
    PaulBRenoirmichalisBancroft414
  • @michalis , that sounds like a challenge ;)
    michalis
  • KevinGE said:
    @michalis , that sounds like a challenge ;)
    LOL! For some people painting seems to be a real struggle! Too much drama...and I don't mean to offend no-one but painting is destined to make us relax and relieve our spirits from the stressful way of every day life, not to add extra anxiety. 

For someone that earns his/her living from art (pro) I understand some kind of critique-pressure and stress but most of us here are amateurs who are trying to express and enjoy ourselves through painting :) No?
    BOB73Julianna
  • @Michalis, you do raise a good point- why are people here. There do seem to be two communities: those that are looking for feedback and those who seem to want to give it. Some of that seems to be healthy, some not. To say "amateurs who are trying to express and enjoy ourselves through painting" is fine - but seems a bit shallow. Isn't art more than that? So why limit ourselves to that?
  • KevinGE - I do not mean that someone have to paint for the shake of painting and without purpose. Personally I paint, trying to improve myself but I will never get depressed after a critique which I perceive to be bad or by a ''rude'' comment. Enjoying and expressing ourselves is shallow...??
  • @Michalis, yes, in a world of mass migration, war, poverty, nuclear proliferation etc...., enjoying and expressing ourselves is indeed shallow. How could you see it any other way? That's not saying it's bad and you can do as you like, but still.....

• KevinGE said:
    @Michalis, yes, in a world of mass migration, war, poverty, nuclear proliferation etc...., enjoying and expressing ourselves is indeed shallow. How could you see it any other way? That's not saying it's bad and you can do as you like, but still.....

Οκ, thinking from this point of view I cannot disagree with you...on the other hand even if we paint in a much deeper way we are still painting while in the very same moment other people dying for the reasons you mention above...

And while we are discussing on this forum many people strive for survival. Should not we discuss?