Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Texas

Hope you are all ok with Hurricane Harvey. Stay safe all..
BoudiccaRenoirBancroft414

Comments

• Yes, to all the Texans, we are thinking of you.
    Bancroft414
  • Hope all are safe. 
    Bancroft414
  • No but I sliced a donut to make a tunafish sandwich.
    Bancroft414Barbara
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited August 27
    This is a bad storm. It's just sitting there not moving forward where it will lose steam and dry out. While it's there the tail keeps sucking moisture out of the gulf and spewing it out all over S.E. Texas. The winds near the eye have weakened but not enough to quit spawning tornados all the way from San Antonio to Louisiana and as far north as Lufkin. Some times the rain fall is so hard and loud on the roof it drowns out the thunder. The projection is for it to be this way until Thursday. Sat Night 11:37PM
  • Don't go out without a big hat..
    BOB73BoudiccaSummertassieguy
  • Thanks, need one. But don't know how well it would hold up under this rain fall. There's a gallon in every drop. My old fire helmet would be a better choice I think. 
  • I suppose the old good thing is less chance of fires in this storm..
  • You would think. Fires flourish in the windy conditions rain or no rain. Power Outages and flooding can shut down the water utilities and we have to draw water from pools or other sources. Which is what we did several times with the last two storms, Rita and Ike. We were lucky enough not to have house and apartment fires in several other storms but we made hundreds of water rescues. I called the station a few times yesterday and today but no one home so I guess they're busy.
  • As of 10 P.M. Sunday Night we've had 18 inches of rain in the last 24 hrs. Harvey has made a U-turn and headed back to the gulf. There's a new Jetstream that may nudge it further east and there is dry air coming from the plains that might help too. Where I work is isolated by water and they don't expect to call us back in till Wednesday or Thursday. 
    ForgivenessBoudiccaanwesha
  • Thank you for your updates @BOB73.
    BoudiccaSummer
  • The latest news doesn't sound good. Hope you are all ok!
  • Sharks? Apparently hoaxes about flooding Texas abound but a woman gave birth in a parking lot on the edge of flood waters. There aren't any sharks (so far) but people are finding alligators in their yards which is pretty common around the Bayou City (Houston). THe Rain gauge broke but they estimate we've had 28-33 inches since Friday when the first rain bands from Harvey hit the area. The distance between my house to the junction of two creeks is usually 900 meters and is now 700. The main bridge is underwater (usually about 20 ft above the water). The rate of rainfall is still hampering the flood from draining away but supposedly isn't adding but that doesn't take into account the flood waters draining away from higher ground to our north which will eventually add to the flooding here. All access roads are blocked but we have everything we need for about a week more. If worse comes to worst we have a canoe. In the words of Chief Dan George speaking of the Cherokees "We will endeavor to persevere." 2:50 P.M. Monday 8/28/2017.
  • Thank you BOB73. This seems difficult still, hopefully the rain will stop soon. Encouraging words from Chief Dan George.
  • The rain stopped and we could see the sun just before sundown Aug 29th. It's raining again now 1:30 AM Wednesday Aug 30th. The two big creeks that converge near here crested around noon on Tuesday and are receding but so agonizingly slow. I expect we'll still be waiting this time next week to use the bridge. There's one road out, a narrow 2 lane and will have hub deep water in places for at least another day or two but it is passable. They've instituted a 10PM curfew and warned looters they'll be shot on sight. Alligators too. There just aren't enough resources to capture and relocate the gators. Sad. You may have seen scenes of ordinary folks in their recreational watercaft helping to rescue or evacuate the soggy residents. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you for every one you see there are hundreds more happening at the same time. Two neighborhoods and part of mine have been evacuating over the last three days and there are more boats out here than a Million Dollar fishing rodeo. Help is coming in to Texas from all quarters including New York fire and police detachments with a huge convoy of supplies and equipment and the Connecticut National Guard both arrived about 8PM last night. Every Church and convention center including Toyota Center and NRG stadium (bigger than the Astrodome) has been converted to a shelter. Many of the Hospitals in the Houston medical center had to evacuate as did many Government buildings but The cities' and counties' employees have been doing heroic (some working three or four days straight with little rest and few meals) feats of keeping things going. one Houston Police officer on his way too his assignment was trapped in a flash flood and drowned in his patrol car. Utility plant operators keep the drinking water going and dump truck drivers are transporting flood victims through high water to high ground without being home for days. I think we'll be OK now. There's nothing like a disaster to bring out the best in people. Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts they really helped. I hope none of you ever have a similar experience. 
    RenoirSummeranweshaForgiveness
  • Hey @BOB73 I've been keeping up with the news coming out of Houston, terrible situation. Thanks for keeping us updated with your posts and we are all thinking of you.
    Our main problem where I am is bushfires in the summer- that's when we are praying for rain!
    We have Hurricanes too- call them cyclones here- but they occur much further north from where I am.
    Stay safe mate.
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited August 30
    Thanks, @Boudicca When I was still fighting fires I would see Your fires in "Fire Engineering" magazine and thank my lucky stars I never had to face the intensity of those. Ours are bad enough but with the high humidity and low winds helping keep them contained.
  • I read that Harvey might reform. Boy, that cyclone loves Texas so much it doesn't want to leave. Stay safe y'all.
    BOB73
  • It sounds like the response has been amazing. I saw a clip of a slow/stopped line of vehicles on the highway, towing boats: just regular Americans coming in to do what they can. We don't like the disaster, but the outpouring of selfless assistance is heartening.
    Are you in Houston proper or outside the city? So you still have power, and some type of access out? The photos we're seeing are astounding. Stay safe.
  • Stay safe and hang in there @BOB73

BOB73
  • Thank you so much for the updates, @BOB73. I'm glad you're safe and sound. I've been watching the news and sending prayers. The fires in BC and Alberta have sure kept our fire fighting community busy. And now I hear that our northern province of Saskatchewan has some raging fires and highways have been closed down. 
    We leave for a week in New York early tomorrow morning and then hop on a ship for a 13 cruise around the cape and down the St. Lawrence. I'm wondering if the storm will migrate up the coast. Could be a rocky sail.
    BOB73Renoir
  • Folks

BBC World Service last night interviewed some Houston residents.
    A high rise dweller said he was worried that the owner may want to increase the rent as they all now have water frontage.

Denis
    BOB73RenoirBoudiccaForgiveness
  • Yeah the tax assessor/collector has the same view. Lake front property LOL. But he won't take off for the trees you lose. Outside the air is filled with the sound of helicopters and chainsaws. I hope it's the guy whose tree limbs we're hitting the power lines and knocking out our electricity. There are still quite a few boats operating a few blocks away. The water has gone back about 20 yards from its high point yesterday but still a lot of homes nearby under water. 
  • Thanks again for updates BOB73. Just recently hurricane was predicted where I live, but passed by us, thank goodness, and you are right, nothing like a disaster or crisis that bring people together so well! Keep well, hope this is all finished soon for recovery period.
  • Checking in to see that you and yours are okay, @BOB73
  • We are fine. we are still limited to one access road and you can't get to any of the main highways anyway. The stores are out of everything but shampoo. The helicopters are still circling nearby looking for survivors. We were very lucky. When we moved into this area in 1977 my wife and I argued over two models of houses. I wanted the one with more work space in the garage, she wanted the Mediterranean. She won. The bigger garage has two feet of water now. Where I work is still flooded  and we aren't going back until next Tuesday. So many heartbreaking stories from Houston and surrounding area but a lot of uplifting stories too. Thanks again for your concern.
    Boudicca
  • edited August 31
    What are people doing for food and water?
    shampoo isn't going to cut it, unless you're making bubble and squeak.
  • The stores were nearly empty Friday before the rains really started. People here know how to prepare. A bad thunderstorm that comes without warning can leave you without power or water and isolate you for days. They've been through this before. We haven't consumed the food we stocked for the last storm yet. I can make bread on my gas grill or in the fireplace from flour and water. Ever had ramen noodles and chili? We store water in plastic storage boxes. They hold 20-30 gallons. We fill the garbage cans (35 gallon size) with water for flushing toilets and watering the plants or fires God forbid. I've got enough batteries to light up a Walmart store. but don't need them. We have old fashioned lamps that use kerosene or tiki torch fuel and you can use them to heat up a can of beans too. 
    Boudicca
  • @BOB73 Very resourceful. Smart to think that if you're in hurricane or tornado alley that it's important to stock up on resources. A few years ago we contemplated moving to Fort Worth for a job and were astounded that few homes had tornado shelters or basements due to the hard, clay, soil. How are you getting access to the internet? Do you have ways to charge your phone/computer?

• We were lucky enough to not lose power although it did go out for several minutes a few times. When it's out there's no internet or anything. Didddnt mention while prepping we freeze water and  fill all the space in the freezer. When it's full it won't start thawing for about two days. Then when the temperature in the refrigerator get's too high we put the frozen water in there and it acts Like an old fashioned Ice Box. We charge our phones in the car and we also have a solar charger but it takes forever and doesn't work at all with the kind of overcast cloud cover we had. Since you mentioned tornadoes it reminded since we remodeled, we don't have steel bathtubs any more. Now I have to figure something out!!!!! Thanks
    Renoir
  • Do you have an underground bunker for your art studio / supplies, too? :)
    RenoirBOB73
  • When you dig down 3' or more you find water or oil lol. If you have a swimming pool and pump out the water the pool will float out of the ground. Very few basements till you get as far north as Missouri. Almost impossible to buy land in Texas where the original owner didn't retain mineral rights so if I dig a water well and hit oil, he will own the oil and I'll get the shaft.
    Summer
  • @BOB73 I was under the impression that the ground itself is rock hard when you get maybe 6-8" down and it costs a lot to put in an underground shelter. Around here, you can rent your own Bobcat and dig holes easily for maybe a few hundred dollars to rent. I thought the quote for 'tornado shelter' was over $20k?
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited September 1
    That's true of other parts of Texas but not here. Most under ground structures have sumps and water pumps to evacuate the water. When they work on the underground pipelines 6-10 feet down they have to have pumps to keep the excavation from filling with water. There's a 16" pipeline that brings crude oil from Oklahoma to Houston area refineries that runs through my back yard there used to be a mile marker over it for the fly-over inspectors. It took me 10 years talking to the pipeline company to move 3x6' sign 209 ft to the nearest street crossing. We're in the piney woods and tornado funnels don't like to touch down in heavily wooded areas. When they do, they don't stay long. They like open spaces like the coastal plains two or three miles south of us. You can buy a lot of steel bath tubs for $20k.
    Renoir
  • I am a bit worried about Mark - does he live in Texas?
  • Mark lives in Austin, Texas. @BOB73 will have an idea of what it's like there although I think it's about 150 miles west? of the main crisis
  • Austin got some rain. about 4-5 inches, enough to cause some street flooding but Austin was largely unaffected. Mark was however in danger of being run over by Houston Area SUV's fleeing Harvey.
    BoudiccaSummerForgivenessBancroft414
  • They would never get him if he hides behind one of his special easels..
    BoudiccaBOB73SummerForgiveness
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited September 2
    You don't know Texas drivers.
    SummerForgiveness
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2
    @BOB73 ; Haha and you don't know one of Mark's easels!  :)
    Forgiveness
  • Just too funny!!! Ha, ha, ha!!!
    PaulB
  • Two of our access roads have been open since early Friday but you still have to share one lane with oncoming traffic unless you're in a truck. High water comes almost to the middle of the road. My daughter has been washing clothes for her friend that was flooded out. Two days and they still aren't done. They couldn't save any furniture or bedding but they left their drawers with clothes stacked on the dining table. the water came within inches of the table. The water left 3 inches of mud and debris on the floor. We have a facebook message from an acquaintance with video from a drone flyover of our neighborhood. If we can figure out how to get it on here I'll share it with you. Things are getting back to normal for those of us fortunate not to be directly affected. Still no white bread but I have white/wheat. I hate eating healthy. 
    Summer
  • Have been watching the news reports...so sorry Texans have to endure Mother Nature's wrath.  Sending prayers.  So many acts of heroism...Hope white bread is on its way soon, Bob....  ;-) 

Richard_PKRYSBOB73