Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How much do you spend on supplies and how often do you paint?

How much do you spend on supplies and how often do you paint?

Im trying to gauge how much Im in for. :)

Im going to be using geneva fine art paint and cheap blick canvases (to begin with).

Comments

• A better measurement is how much paint is used to do a painting on a canvas which is 20" x 24"
  • Painter8929

20 mls, for a thin even coverage, but you mix up probably double this on a palette. bout the same again for toning the canvas initially. Not all paint though, because the medium extends it out to this volume.

Denis

• I don't know exact quantities however the colours I would use the most are burnt umber, titanium white and UM blue.
    then cad yellow
    then cad red- minimal amounts
    Which is handy given the cads are the most expensive and BU and white the cheapest.
    I use Langridge paints as Geneva is not available in Australia.
  • Same here, @Boudicca. I buy my Langridge BU, UB and TW in 300 ml cartridges that you load into a gun like silicon cartridges. And as you say, the ones we need least of (the cadmiums) are the most expensive so fortunately I only need to buy small tubes of these.
    Kaustav
  • I don't think the question has been answered yet.  Here goes...

How much?

You mention Geneva paint and cheap canvases, so that means something like $180 for the essential palette, plus brushes, brush dip and canvases.  I would suggest $300 is the minimum to get started in this way, but that doesn't give you a studio setup.  You can build your own easel for under $50, and a palette, black cloth and proper lighting arrangement is also needed.  Perhaps $400 will get you going, with all the necessary elements.

In my case in the five months I've been painting, I have not exceeded $1200, and that includes some mistaken purchases, including now four palettes, a set of student grade paint I didn't like, a set of artist grade paint I didn't like, and finally Geneva.  I have too many brushes (and I only use one), too many wood panels, too much Dibond, and an easel I'm not entirely happy with.  But I don't think I'll need to spend any more for a year, and even then it will just be paint.

But like any other hobby, there is no upper limit on spending.

How often?
    When I can paint at all, I like to paint every day, for a couple of hours at least.
    RenoirBancroft414
  • The more you paint the better and faster you will get.
    Bancroft414
  • Not only did I surpass that $1200 mark (I bought a camera, premium canvasas and about five pads of canvas paper and way too many brushes) but now I'm paying storage fees as well. I had a number of home made studio appliances but these were old and abused as scrap wood when not in studio use. And these didn't warrant space paid for by the square inch but I can give you plans for a combination easel and sawhorse.
    Bancroft414Barbara
  • tassieguy said:
    Same here, @Boudicca. I buy my Langridge BU, UB and TW in 300 ml cartridges that you load into a gun like silicon cartridges. And as you say, the ones we need least of (the cadmiums) are the most expensive so fortunately I only need to buy small tubes of these.
    Hey @tassieguy, how much do the cartridges cost and how much $ do you think you save over the large tubes?
  • edited August 25
    I paint 3-4 days a week for about 2-4 hours each day since early June.  I have spent about $300 so far and that includes a $60 used easel, inexpensive brushes (lots of them -- I only use 3-4), the ingredients for making my own slow dry medium (venice turpentine is the most expensive and I've had to order it twice at $27/each), 18 level 2 canvases from Michael's craft store bought during sales with coupons (average price about $8/each), and W&N paint -- the mid-level quality.  With this investments I have completed 11 paintings ranging in size from 8x8 to 16x20 and have had to toss nearly as much paint as has wound up on the canvases (I tried saving it but it just gets gummy or otherwise unusable.)  I'm sure once I try the more expensive paint I will not want to paint with anything else but I'm unemployed at the present moment so I'm trying to be budget conscious during this period of learning. Plus I like the freedom to load up the palette with paint!!  Given the supplies (paint and canvases) I still have and the ones I have completed.... I think I am spending on average about $15-$20 per painting not including my time.  This estimate is likely on the low end of the cost/investment spectrum if you are using canvases (mine are definitely cheap - not gallery grade) -- I'm told canvas boards and wood boards are more affordable but I like the idea of canvases.
  • Wow thats expensive tree sap @Bancroft414. I thi k i paid $40 for enough to make many dozens of paintings with. Check out kama pigments website. A store in montreal
  • Cool!  Thanks @movealonghome!  I found mine on Amazon.  I will definitely look there!
  • Boudicca

Looks like good value for 300 ml high pigment oils at $66 BU, $47 TW and $66 UB.
    By comparison W&N for 200ml is $67 BU, $67 TW and $80ÜB.
    Thirty three percent more for around the same price.

Art Spectrum for 500 ml $50 BU, $63 TW AND $150 ÜB. 

Boudicca
  • Are you going to switch to Langridge or Art Spectrum then Denis? ;)
  • If I could go back and start over all I would buy would be 3 brushes, a set of Geneva paints, a small bottle of Chelsea Lavender brush cleaner and some freezer paper to use as a disposable pallet. Build the easel shown in the video Mark has on his site. With the money you save invest in Good Quality Linen Canvas. I have made so many missteps getting started I can't list them all. But, I guess we all have to go through this process to learn what works and what doesn't.  
    Bancroft414Barbara
  • Right now I am wondering about this pallet:

http://www.dickblick.com/items/03481-1026

And this easel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OSHHEN2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB&psc=1

Should I get better quality while Im at it?

Also, any news on the Geneva easel on mark's youtube? The video was in 2015 and he says he will start selling them in Summer '17. Im guessing its going to cost a pretty penny.
  • tassieguy said:
    Same here, @Boudicca. I buy my Langridge BU, UB and TW in 300 ml cartridges that you load into a gun like silicon cartridges. And as you say, the ones we need least of (the cadmiums) are the most expensive so fortunately I only need to buy small tubes of these.
    Is this you at work Rob?

Bancroft414tassieguyBoudicca
  • PaulB said:
    I don't think the question has been answered yet.  Here goes...

How much?

You mention Geneva paint and cheap canvases, so that means something like $180 for the essential palette, plus brushes, brush dip and canvases.  I would suggest $300 is the minimum to get started in this way, but that doesn't give you a studio setup.  You can build your own easel for under $50, and a palette, black cloth and proper lighting arrangement is also needed.  Perhaps $400 will get you going, with all the necessary elements.

In my case in the five months I've been painting, I have not exceeded $1200, and that includes some mistaken purchases, including now four palettes, a set of student grade paint I didn't like, a set of artist grade paint I didn't like, and finally Geneva.  I have too many brushes (and I only use one), too many wood panels, too much Dibond, and an easel I'm not entirely happy with.  But I don't think I'll need to spend any more for a year, and even then it will just be paint.

But like any other hobby, there is no upper limit on spending.

How often?
    When I can paint at all, I like to paint every day, for a couple of hours at least.

How much do you spend on paint per month?
  • tgarney said:
    If I could go back and start over all I would buy would be 3 brushes, a set of Geneva paints, a small bottle of Chelsea Lavender brush cleaner and some freezer paper to use as a disposable pallet. Build the easel shown in the video Mark has on his site. With the money you save invest in Good Quality Linen Canvas. I have made so many missteps getting started I can't list them all. But, I guess we all have to go through this process to learn what works and what doesn't.  
    Would you say for a beginner that cheap canvases are not that much of a mistake? Seems like it wouldnt matter given the fact that my first paintings arent going to be so great anyway. Ill just be getting used to the brushes and techniques.
  • It depends.. cheap canvas can be rough and cause a lot of drag on brushes. Linen looks more natural than canvas which some people prefer.

As for me, I prefer painting on boards as I don't like the texture of canvas (or the bounce if not fixed to a rigid surface).
    Bancroft414
  • edited August 25
    Would you say for a beginner that cheap canvases are not that much of a mistake? Seems like it wouldnt matter given the fact that my first paintings arent going to be so great anyway. Ill just be getting used to the brushes and techniques.
    What I like about cheap canvases has nothing to do with texture nor even price point.  -- Its the feeling of NO PRESSURE, as in "who cares if this turns out well or not, the canvas was only $5-10!"  Also, I figure if I can learn and grow and become a decent painter whilst painting on crappy inconsistent canvases, then I will be even better when I finally switch over!
  • Would you say for a beginner that cheap canvases are not that much of a mistake? Seems like it wouldnt matter given the fact that my first paintings arent going to be so great anyway. Ill just be getting used to the brushes and techniques.
    What I like about cheap canvases has nothing to do with texture nor even price point.  -- Its the feeling of NO PRESSURE, as in "who cares if this turns out well or not, the canvas was only $5-10!"  Also, I figure if I can learn and grow and become a decent painter whilst painting on crappy inconsistent canvases, then I will be even better when I finally switch over!
    Great point!
  • How much do you spend on paint per month?
    I don't know yet.  I am still on my first set of Geneva paint (which has a $180 cost) after three months, so it's under $60 per month.  I won't really know until I've gone through a few sets.
  • Might as well just order rosemary brushes too. They're inexpensive and high quality. A few kolinsky sables and a few filberts. Mark recommends using a lot but I get the impression most people just use a few per painting. The kolinsky sables are very nice. Ive only used the 0 size but am going to order some bigger ones

PaulBBoudicca
  • The right brushes for the job makes a big difference
  • edited August 26
    As Denis indicates above, the savings you make buying big tubes/cartridges can be substantial.  However, the main reason I buy the big cartridges of TW, BW and UB is so I don't run out. But saving a little money is also a consideration. BU and TW is used to stain canvases and BU is used with UB to make black as well as in so many other colours. I paint daily and do big paintings so I use a lot of paint and having to re-order small tubes all the time is a nuisance so it's just easier to buy it in bulk. But I guess it depends on how much you paint. If your a Sunday painter or do only small paintings now and again you can probably get by with the smaller tubes.
    PaulBBoudicca
  • Well it is easy to see why we were all willing to "buy-in" to the limited palette. 
    Speaking of palette I got 2 14x24" palettes for about  8.00 each from storewharehouse.com they are made for display shelving and come in a variety of sizes. They are pretty clear 1/8" tempered. shipping was more costly than the glass. about $39 all together. I guess I'll have to get a new table too. Maybe a thrift shop but nothing comes in till I get the house fixed. About brushes, I think had forgotten haw many I already had when I started buying from the supply list. But the wisdom for so many is you don't have to spend time wiping and cleaning between colors and things don't get muddied so much. I wonder how much more fixing will be needed after Harvey? Remember the formula I posted for the hurricane rum drink? To that add vodka, Galliano and more orange juice and you can have a Hurricane Harvey-wallbanger.
    PaulBdencalBarbara
  • PaulB said:
    How much do you spend on paint per month?
    I don't know yet.  I am still on my first set of Geneva paint (which has a $180 cost) after three months, so it's under $60 per month.  I won't really know until I've gone through a few sets.
    What size canvases do you use and how many paintings do you do per month?
  • What size canvases do you use and how many paintings do you do per month?
    No canvas, wood panels 6"x6", 8"x12", 12"x12", currently Dibond 48"x32".  Two or three a month.
  • 2 to 3 of the 48 x 32s? Or do you mix and match?
  • @painter8929 ; I considered answering your question.  Wish I could, but my husband would probably divorce me if he knew.  And, I would be shocked if I knew.  :)
    RenoirBOB73
  • Summer said:
    @painter8929 ; I considered answering your question.  Wish I could, but my husband would probably divorce me if he knew.  And, I would be shocked if I knew.  :)
    I would divorce myself.
    SummerRenoir
  • @Summer @Boudicca Tooooo funny!!! I've been selective in my purchases: a larger online purchase and several 'little' under $50 ones when I go to the local arts & crafts store. They have don't have a lot for oil paints, but they do have enough to make a weekly visit LOL! Fortunately, my husband is fine with it so far, as long as I keep up with the laundry and dishes...

Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 28
    @Painter8929 ; There is some good advice in this thread about purchasing studio equipment and art supplies.  For us, any money left over after the bills are paid is mine and I consider that my budget for art supplies.  My husband agrees.  But nobody's keeping count.  We still don't know how much that is, and I'm sure we would both be amazed at how much we actually spent building the studio and keeping it in stock.  Making art supplies a part of the monthly budget is the best thing we ever did to get rid of the anxieties, guilt, and frustration.  I still am cost conscious and do comparative shopping, but I could do better.  And, the fact that I don't do better, therein lies the key.  It just isn't worth my peace of mind worrying about.  I hope that you find some great bargains and a level of peace at the same time, but not at the cost of your health and possibly a worried frame of mind when you are creating art.  Some aspects of art-making needs to be wasteful, sloppy and non-scientific.  You may be interested in knowing that this approach has resulted in there always being a little money left over each month that compounds itself for future art purchases.  Good luck to you.  Summer   
    Renoir
  • What I've spent on my art supplies is insignificant compared to what I used to spend my "disposable" income on ie: renting movies, pay-for-view boxing, Fishing, hunting, drive thru food, woodworking, buying fire truck models, pizza, traveling to visit with the in-laws, lotto tickets and HATS. When I get back to painting I expect to complete a 16"X20" canvas every week. I expect I'll average one tube a month (same as three tubes in 70-80 days) or maybe more until I learn how to get the right color in the fewest steps with out wasting piles of paint (which can be remaindered anyway). I'm not sure why you're asking. are you trying to set a budget or trying to determine how much to charge for a painting? I either case there are lots of previous discussions.
    Summer
  • 2 to 3 of the 48 x 32s? Or do you mix and match?
    This is starting to feel weird.  Check my "Post Your Paintings" threads for details.
    BoudiccaBOB73