Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Seen a good movie lately?

I was thinking of renting a movie for tonight and got to thinking about biographies of painters. I had no Idea thaere were so many.

Here's a list:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls050623346/

Which is your favorite?

dencalBoudiccaSummer

Comments

• There's a three part series on Youtube that's quite good. Here's the first installment.. the others should follow;

BOB73KaustavSummer
  • BOB73

WOW. Only seen a few of these.

Denis
  • I also enjoyed the film 'Renoir' on Netflix.
    Summer
  • edited August 24
    The last great one I watched was Persona by Ingmar Bergman.

Also a Danish film called Land of Mine.

Also a Dutch film called Borgman. And another Dutch one called Spoorloos.

Oh and a Korean film titled I Saw the Devil. That one might be the craziest movie I've ever seen.

All are A++ quality but none are about the lives of dead artists.
    BOB73anweshaSummer
  • edited August 25
    Latest one I watched was on Canadian Group of Seven artist Lauwren Harris, it is short film, but very powerful! I enjoyed it, on Vimeo.
    BOB73Summer
  • BOB73 said:

I had no Idea thaere were so many.

Me neither!
    BOB73
  • I tried a couple of times to get "The Girl with the Pearl Earing" on DVR. Both times failed but I'll get it one way or another. The last one I watched was about Turner played by Timothy Spall. There were some good scenes of how a painter lives and works in 19th century England. They made him out to be quite a "scallywag". Don't know how close to accurate the Hollywood productions are but they are usually fun at least. I really enjoyed "Pollock" a few years ago (Ed Harris) particularly his brief interactions with Peggy Guggenheim. I share at least one thing in common with him, we both loved Gene Krupa's drumming. It's been decades since I saw "Agony and the Ecstasy" or "Lust for Life" but I liked those two too.
  • @movealonghome ; well they aren't about artists but the certainly convey all the psychosis, bad-tempered mischief, unrequited love, insanity and mystique surrounding a lot of noted artists.   
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 25
    BOB73 said:
    ...they certainly convey all the psychosis, bad-tempered mischief, unrequited love, insanity and mystique surrounding a lot of noted artists.   
    Most likely we will be portrayed as having one or more of these attributes whether they are true or not.  The only solution is to author your own book(s) about yourself, script your own movie about your life; and create a few press releases all before you die.  Then when THE truth comes out, haha, the public will be confused and not know what to believe.  The only hard part will be having to decide how we want to be remembered: saint or sinner or a mixture of both.  Autobiographies.   Authorized biographies anyone?  Just thinking.  (Again?)  Summer 
    BOB73
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 25
    BOB73

I was disappointed in Girl with a Pearl Earring. Vermeer was cast as a studio bound mouse, bullied and harassed by five females. The film lacks any credible characterisation, drama or tension, is riddled with technical errors and only rescued with a great performance by Johannson. Family jealousies and squabbles were the main themes, rather than Vermeers art and inspiration.

Denis

BOB73SummerBancroft414
  • Looking forward to watching these.  Thanks everyone.  Summer
    BOB73
  • I agree dencal. I think part of the problem is there are so few surviving sources around vermeer's life, practice and family. They basically had to make it all up..
    Summer
  • edited August 25
    @barbara  found this series in 2014. I was going through a havoc in life at that time. It gave me the courage to withstand any sort of distress. I knew their stories since childhood but it was like a much needed re-cap. Some of the actors are my personal favorites.
    Plus, I re-started realist oil painting after two years of modern art, pastel, acrylic and watercolor study. Decided to concentrate more and more on oil. That Impressionists series is the starting point of whatever you see here from me today. I got to know about techniques Scumbling, full usage of brush, impressionist grip of brush and Dry Brush from this series. :)

I have seen a lot of artists biographies. Particularly influential were:
    1. Pollock
    2. Lust for Life (film), a 1956 film based on the novel, starring Kirk Douglas
    3. The Agony and the Ecstasy (film), a 1965 film starring Charlton Heston
    4. Frida 2002 film
    5. Modigliani
    6. Rembrandt (1936 film), a 1936 film about the painter, starring Charles Laughton. This movie also influenced India's most revered artist MF Hussain in his youth. 
    I would ask all of you to see this film apart from that Impressionist series. Don't look for modern sensibilities and technicalities of movie making. It will take you closer to Rembrandt.

BOB73SummerForgiveness
  • BOB73 said:
    I tried a couple of times to get "The Girl with the Pearl Earing" on DVR. Both times failed but I'll get it one way or another. The last one I watched was about Turner played by Timothy Spall. There were some good scenes of how a painter lives and works in 19th century England. They made him out to be quite a "scallywag". Don't know how close to accurate the Hollywood productions are but they are usually fun at least. I really enjoyed "Pollock" a few years ago (Ed Harris) particularly his brief interactions with Peggy Guggenheim. I share at least one thing in common with him, we both loved Gene Krupa's drumming. It's been decades since I saw "Agony and the Ecstasy" or "Lust for Life" but I liked those two too.
    I just watched the Pollock movie, it was disturbing  how mentally tortured he was and how he seemed compelled to abuse people, he obviously needed treatment. I found myself both  loathing him and feeling pity for him. I think it was an honest and sensitive portrayal.
    KaustavBOB73
  • dencal said:
    BOB73

I was disappointed in Girl with a Pearl Earring. Vermeer was cast as a studio bound mouse, bullied and harassed by five females. The film lacks any credible characterisation, drama or tension, is riddled with technical errors and only rescued with a great performance by Johannson. Family jealousies and squabbles were the main themes, rather than Vermeers art and inspiration.

Denis

While I agree with this critique it is still worth watching, the cinematography is beautiful and Johanson's acting is subtle and captivating (unlike many of her subsequent works - sadly)
    dencal
  • Quite honestly Kirk Douglas as Vincent Van Gogh in the movie Lust for Life was an eye opener. Not only was it a great movie, it was somewhat historically accurate and gave great insight into the life of one of the most revered master painters.  
    BOB73KaustavRenoir
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 30
    I make it a habit of reading Wikipedia for the true story alongside watching some of these historical period dramas and I have to say the movie industry is out of control but at the same time very entertaining.  There is very little I believe as true enough to bet on it anyway.
    BOB73
  • I got to see "The girl with the pearl earing" Last night but it was interrupted by one flood or tornado warning after another. Any I got through the first 17 min before the power went out. power came back on in a little while but I was asleep by then. Love those soused pig faces. I love period movies when they are well done. @Bancroft414, you were right, well photographed. I would give kudos to the set decorator and designer too. Scarlett looked good, I would have painted her Too.
    Summer