Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Greetings from the area of the Great American Eclipse 2017, Missouri, USA

Okay, I just had to brag, it was stupendous, but, anyway,  I am new here, 71 years young and just taking up Oil painting for the second time.  The first was when I was 18.  I took lessons from a teacher down the road from my home in Lake Elsinore, California.  Don't know if I ever learned much from her, but she got me started.  The last painting I made was a sunflower somewhere in the erly 1980's, then I laid up my paints.  Two weeks ago I opened them up.  Wow, all except two tubes were pliable and usable.  So I went hog wild and purchased things I could not afford in my earlier years.  Two Easels, One I did not even know I won on a Goodwill auction, so purchased a second one on Ebay, new tubes of paints, canvas's, new mediums (Marks slow dry medium being one of them) and a new sunflower.  I thought I would try out some of the new (to me) manufacturers of Oil paints. The tubes I had from way back were Grumbacher's and I have to admit I have been extremely disappointed in the Chromium yellows I have opened in the past two weeks.  The tube I have left from the 1980's is thick, rich, with amazing coverage.  Nothing like the newest ones.  Of course none of them were a Grumbacher pre-tested yellow which I should probably go back to unless someone can recommend a different manufacturer with affordable prices.  

Anyway, I have never been a master, not even close, just enjoy putting colors on a canvas and having something close to what I see come out. I am in awe of the paintings I have seen here.