Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Color Checker Against Monitor. Please Help!!

I have a color checker but i cannot match whites at all! the paint on my color checker is ALWAYS way too dark. it will be straight titanium white and STILL look VERY dark in comparison to something on the monitor. Please help!!

Comments

• Have you adjusted the brightness on your monitor to match the white? There's a whole lot of information about calibrating monitors which you can find by googling. 
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 5
    akerman

The brightness, saturation and contrast ratio of the monitor will defeat any color/value matching using paint. But please proceed, I would love to see it work.

The best you can do is an eyeball match making the necessary brightness adjustments as you go.

Denis

• Boudicca said:
    Have you adjusted the brightness on your monitor to match the white? There's a whole lot of information about calibrating monitors which you can find by googling. 
    my monitor doesnt go down that low
  • edited August 5
    The monitor emits light. The paint just reflects light.  Therefore you are never going to be able to match the monitor. Best to paint from a print or from life.  However,  some painters become very adept at working from a monitor. Michael J Smith for example.
  • Computer monitors are lighted from behind.  Your color checker is lighted from "in front."  When you point your color checker at your monitor, it will always seem to be in silhouette (darker).
  • Colour e-ink technology is still too primitive, but in the future it could be ideal for colour matching without printing.
  • I use my spatula with a dab of color and bring it right up to the screen, avoid any glare and light reflection, check my colors frequently and make adjustments as necessary along the way. It's as easy as using a photo once used to this, no differences. And then again I have many years experience matching color and plein air experience.