Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Now I know why linen canvas is so expensive

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited July 23
    Boudicca

Such a useful plant giving us linen, paper, food seeds and linseed oil.

Interesting video. Thanks for posting.

Denis

• Aw Shucks, Discovery Communications has blocked the video in the U.S. and other countries for copyright infringement. I would love it if someone could enlighten me about the flowers that @dencal planted here. Is this what linen is made of? I thought it came from Irish or Belgian sheep's wool. Seriously, I did.
    Kaustav
  • edited July 23
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-xs7HZc4Q

try this link @BOB73

copy and paste it straight into your browser. i'm curious to know if that works

it's flax ;) eat 1tbsp freshly ground flax a day! one of the best additions you can make to your diet!
  • SummerSummer -
    edited July 23
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-xs7HZc4Q

it's flax ;) eat 1tbsp freshly ground flax a day! one of the best additions you can make to your diet!
    I was just about to say the same thing--haha.  I do too and have for many years.  They really thicken up a shake in a hurry--2 tablespoons.    Summer
  • Sorry, both links are not working here in the US.  I do know there are mills in many countries producing this product.  Still, it would have been nice to watch the video.  Thanks for trying @Boudicca and @movealonghome.  Summer
  • Thanks @movealonghome & @Summer that didn't work. So that flower is from flax and flax is a food so if I feed it to silk worms they might produce a product better than silk or linen?
    Summer
  • Folks

try this link 

Denis

• Summer

This is a plain vanilla YouTube link. Can't understand why it's not running.

I'll investigate.

Denis

• It didn't work in the U.S. and it doesn't work in Texas either.
    IrishcajunNanaBean
  • All of them work fine for me here in the UK
  • Folks

i suspect a company in the US has bought a license and broadcast rights for this very popular series.
    To maximise income they have restricted the viewing to television stations who purchase the series.

Suggest US Carderites do a Google search or YouTube search for "How do they do that". There are dozens of episodes, you might want to include "Claessens" in your search string.

Odd, I scanned all the episodes (Hulu) and couldn't find this particular program, but it is fiindable in You Tube here in Oz.

Good luck.

Denis

SummerBOB73
  • Fascinating. Thanks for posting.
  • Can anyone describe how the Claessens 13 feels different to other linen / canvas / board surfaces? :)
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited July 29
    I edited my previous comment Removed it really please disregard if you read them I was actually referring to a different brand. Hey I'm old and allowed a mistake or two.
  • I've been using Claessens 13 for a long time but now I'm finding that I don't like painting portraits on it.  It seems to have too many bumps that I don't like.  Some months ago I painted a portrait (the one of me) on Fredrix Pro Series Belgian Linen Acrylic Primed.  I really liked it.  It just seems smoother.  I  still like the Claessens and will use it for future paintings though.  This is my second roll and it just seems different from the first roll.  I don't know what the deal is with that.
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    I pulled Claessens from our Supply List recommendations.  I had a bad roll that was primed with a foundation oil paint with too high of an oil to pigment ratio. Which caused my stain to crack under my painting months after it was completed.  NEVER seen that before, but it was enough for me to stop using it!
    Boudicca
  • I pulled Claessens from our Supply List recommendations.  I had a bad roll that was primed with a foundation oil paint with too high of an oil to pigment ratio. Which caused my stain to crack under my painting months after it was completed.  NEVER seen that before, but it was enough for me to stop using it!
    Thanks for the warning. 
  • I should edit my above post.  I may not use it for portraits in the future but will for other paintings.  I still have a roll to use up.
    Thanks for that info Mark.  That's a little worrisome. 
  • I have never bought Claessens unprimed linen in large rolls because of the likelihood of damage therefore waste at the beginning and the ends of the rolls and the risk of finding slubs.  And now, if the priming that Mark experienced came from the manufacturer, I certainly won't be buying them primed.  Egads, I've seen rolls advertised as triple-primed.  Don't remember if they were acrylic or oil primed.  Glad I didn't try those.  Since I love this fabric for painting on so much, I'm thinking there must be a workaround.  The art boards I have custom made, 24 x 24 mostly, are flawless Claessens linen sized with rabbit skin glue and oil primed and sanded several layers so I'm going to continue with them because the Claessens priming doesn't come from the manufacturer.  I will also continue to buy Claessens linen fabric if I can check every inch of it myself--which won't be the large rolls.  Do I have my head on straight regarding this issue?  What are some of you guys going to do now?  Centurion, for sure.    Love to know.  Summer
  • dencaldencal -
    edited July 29
    Folks

Claessens linen canvas

This video posted by Boudicca above is sponsored by Jackson's Art Supplies.
    The reason it cannot be viewed in the US is that the music used in the production is copyright restricted.

Denis

• dencal said:
    Folks

Claessens linen canvas

This video posted by Boudicca above is sponsored by Jackson's Art Supplies.
    The reason it cannot be viewed in the US is that the music used in the production is copyright restricted.

Denis

Thanks Denis, I think I found this on the Sydney Art Store website. I wasn't intending to promote any particular brand of linen canvas, it was the process that was of interest to me. 
    dencal
  • I pulled Claessens from our Supply List recommendations.  I had a bad roll that was primed with a foundation oil paint with too high of an oil to pigment ratio. Which caused my stain to crack under my painting months after it was completed.  NEVER seen that before, but it was enough for me to stop using it!
    I hope you contacted them and gave them your 2 cents worth!! Or more!!