Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Comments on recent painting experience

dencaldencal -
edited July 17 in Painting
Folks

Impasto medium by Winsor & Newton is a delight to use with their wm oils with SDM. 
Makes a nice gloopy paste without changing color. A thick lump can be formed into soft peaks.
I had about 5ml left over green on my palette to which I added about 5ml of impasto medium. Mixes easily and quickly. The surface loses the oily sheen to become a matt lustre, but the shiny lustre returned on drying.
I mixed this sample 24 hrs ago and it's not quite touch dry. I suspect that the Oleopasto variety and tube artists color would dry glossy in this time frame.

I used some ZestIt solvent to adjust flow consistency off the brush. It works as advertised as a solvent without odor. Better still it dries, more slowly than the turps varieties I've used and evaporates to leave a durable paint surface. Quite effective as a brush cleaner too. Have not tried ZestIt with clove, linseed, stand and VT yet.

Finally i have have been lucky to discover an excellent brush cleaner and brush conditioner.
These products are probably not available where you live, but look out for the key ingredient of hydrogen peroxide (HP). Many products use HP along with water and a detergent.

Both of these products removes any paint residue, oily remnants or gummy buildup on the brush fibers.
Worked through about fifty of my brushes with a small amount of product with a warm water rinse and towel dry. All are now soft pliable and so clean.

Denis

edavisonSummerBoudicca

Comments

• SummerSummer -
    edited July 17
    Just thought I'd mention that I use hydrogen peroxide several time a week for this and that around the house.  Now I can use it in my studio too.  Great. 
  • I saw Zest it at the Patchings art festival I went to yesterday. I did smell it and it smelled pleasant and not solvent like, but of course with OMS I know that doesn't always mean much. I was wondering whether to buy some but I have read some threads on WetCanvas about the d-limone in it that made me unsure about how safe it was..
  • Hmm.. Hydrogen Peroxide is a bit restricted here, I tried sodium carbonate peroxyhydate:

In the UK Sodium percarbonate, also known as Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate, or oxygen bleach powder is a free-flowing, white powder. It is an addition compound of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. Percarbonate has an active available oxygen content (13%) which is equivalent to 27.5% Hydrogen peroxide. It breaks down to oxygen, water and sodium carbonate upon decomposition. It is an environmentally safe bleaching agent. Sodium Percarbonate / oxygen bleach offers many of the same functional benefits as liquid hydrogen peroxide. It dissolves into water rapidly to release oxygen and provides powerful cleaning, bleaching, stain removal and deodorizing capabilities in addition to being effective at killing bacteria, fungus, viruses and algae. It has the added advantage of having no odour.

But I can't say it seemed to do much on the one brush I tried.. :/

• Richard_P

The cleaning products I use is only 3% to 5% Hydrogen Peroxide.
    Remember that I'm also using wm paint with SDM which may be a lot more soluble.

Denis

• I tried it on a clean but stained brush, did you try it on ones that had paint on them?
  • Hey Denis why do you use water mixable paints? Just wondering what you like about them (I've never used them...)
  • I think Denis finds the price cheaper than other comparable non-water mixable paints. I prefer Cobra's over Winsor & Newton Artisans, more pigment load, creamier and still inexpensive.
  • movingalonghome

WM oils gives me a better opportunity to avoid solvents and at a lower cost.

Here is what W&N say about them

• These magnificent paints are designed to look and work just like traditional oil paint, but they're a bit special. You can use them without hazardous solvents - they're happy being thinned down and cleaned up with water. They're especially good for artists who share a workspace or don't want solvents in school or at home. We make Artisan Water Mixable Oil Colour in 40 vibrant tones with a thick, buttery consistency so you can use them in a variety of ways. We've added a selection of special thinners, oils and mediums to this range, too.

WMs are compatible with Mark's SDM, keeps for years in air tight storage, no thickening of titanium white and easy clean up. 
    From time to time I share a workspace with other students and artists in various studios, WMs mean I don't contribute to the distress of asthma or migraine sensitivities.
    I can rely on the quality and availability of W&N without the hazard and expense of traditional oil paint.

What's not to like  B)

Denis

Summeranwesha