Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Tasmania Announces a $100,000 Landscape Painting Prize. Rob. Are you Receiving? Over.

Folks

Arts: Meet the shoe salesman-turned-hotelier funding the world's richest landscape art prize

The owner of one of Hobart's oldest hotels is personally funding a new art award with a $100,000 prize, and says he's been warned it is "a really dreadful investment".

Read the full story 
http://ab.co/2vfpCwP

Comments

• Oh boy, here we go!
    Summer
  • Thanks, Denis, reading this was wonderful.  (I know I'm living in the wrong place.)  :)
    dencal
  • It's yours Rob! You are being called! You quite belong, without a doubt!
    Summer
  • Thans'k @Dencal .Looks like the finalists have been chosen and one judge has made up his mind that landscapes for this prize must depart from the traditional. Of the works selected and shown in the article only one had any resemblance in any way to a landscape painting. Except one looked like it was earth dug-up from a landscape and gloued to a ssupport. My front yard would yield a more interesting composition. They might as well rename it Hadley Contest for art that doesn't imitate life. Sorry for being a fuddy-duddy that's who I am. I love Kaustav's abstacts and I liked Pollock and Dali. I just think it is dishonest and insulting for an artist to enter his art in a genre-specific contest when the art doesn't represent the genre.     @tassiguy I think you'll have to wait till next year for this one. BTW I subscribed to a website that was supposed to track and annouce art events (contests) it turned out to be self promotion for art fair organisers where they buy up all the spaces and rent them to you. But if I hear about a contest I will post it for you.
    dencalSummerForgivenessedavison
  • BOB73

Here is a regular online list of competitions in International Artist.

Australian art mags list all the local, regional, state and national comps each issue. Have a look at yours.

Denis
    SummerForgiveness
  • Thank's Denis I figured you or a few of the others would have something like that. Have you entered any of the contests in your region?
  • BOB73

No entries from me yet. I must say the chance of $100k would make the effort worthwhile.

Denis

BOB73Weatherford
  • edited July 14
    Thanks for posting this, Denis. I did consider entering this comp but the theme made me think my painting would not be suitable so I entered it in the Lloyd Rees Prize instead. Now I see people have entered and won places in the finals with stuff that has nothing to do with the theme that I can see. Oh, well - next year I'll enter both. There's also the Glover Prize and the Wynn Prize as well as all the smaller local comps. It's a good way to sell work even if you don't win.
    dencalBOB73
  • Folks

The winning landscape painting for the 2017 Hadley Prize

Here is a link to the story http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-14/aboriginal-artist-wins-hadleys-art-prize-for-landscape/8709840

I struggle to see any beauty or vitality here.

Denis
    Summermovealonghomemichalis
  • There are some good thing about this picture but if that's the sort of thing they're after then there's no point in me entering this competition. And I don't see how this painting relates to the theme.
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited July 14
    Folks, Confession Time:  I have done pieces like this in my lifetime, the early days.  My only excuse was that I did them when I wanted to give my brain a rest and I had a lot of pent up emotion and drugs and anti-social behavior were not an option.  I thought they were good in terms of design.  I think that is all they are, designs representing the emotional state of the artist.  They all sold like hot cakes so it was more than tempting to have continued along that path.  Secretly, I loved realism.  That is were I am now because of Mark and David Carder.  I'm never going back.  I envy realist artist's who never ventured....  Just saying.  I'd love to know if anyone else on DMP has traveled both roads.  I hope this answers the question about why this guy does what he does.  Summer  
    dencal
  • @tassieguy, I think your work might be regarded better than some of this winner's competitors. I think you should enter.

on another note, after my comments of the 13th I felt a little bad about my negativity but after seeing the winning entry, I think I was spot on (where did that expression come from).

• Thanks, BOB73. I think you were right in what you said. Some of the stuff just leaves me shrugging and shaking my head.
    Roxy
  • I actually really like it, it's interesting, and has movement..
  • Yes it has a spirit to it and it would fit with a number of decors maybe even mine but it's not a "landscape" There is art that resemble souvenirs from a scatologists' convention but those aren't landscapes but unfortunately are held in high regard in some fractions of the art world.
  • The winning entry was painted by an Aboriginal artist Peter Munkuri, and I guess to western eyes Aboriginal art does not necessarily fit into our ideas of what landscape should look like. A lot of landscape stories are handed down to certain tribe members as a responsibility to keep and carry on. Many of the paintings tell where important seasonal food sources and waterholes, meeting places, ceremonial areas etc are. Australian Aboriginal culture is the oldest living continuous culture on the planet earth- currently dated to pproximately 50-60,000 years, comprising of at least 350 distinct language groups (pre-colonisation), with complex systems of law, trade, land management, ceremony and artistic expression.

The third painting is of the Wandjina, found painted in caves in the Kimberley region of Western Australia, beautiful mystical beings. It has been the responsibility of designated tribal members to maintain and protect these paintings for thousands of years.

I am not Aboriginal, I pay respect to Aboriginal Elders past and present and acknowledge the Wadjuk Noongar people on whose traditional lands I live and work.
    SummertassieguyWeatherfordBancroft414
  • edited July 17
    Thanks, Boudicca. I agree that it can be difficult for those of us steeped in the western tradition of landscape painting to fully appreciate indigenous Australian landscape art. You explanation helps us make a bit more sense of the work and I can see now that it does actually relate to the theme.
    BoudiccaBancroft414
  • Even I (with the jaded eye) admit the aboriginal art is art and the first is obviously (in my eye) representative of geographical features.
  • BOB73 said:
    Even I (with the jaded eye) admit the aboriginal art is art and the first is obviously (in my eye) representative of geographical features.
    Hi @BOB73, another way of seeing aboriginal art is to go google earth at look at the heart of Australia then look at some Aboriginal art. People have  speculatedthat Aboriginal people must have been able to astral travel to be able to gain the overhead perspective that is represented in many of their paintings.

V

I hope this isn't coming across as a lecture, sometimes we need to see beyond our way of seeing in order to be able to read the art of other cultures, otherwise it doesn't seem to make sense.
    SummerWeatherfordBancroft414
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited July 18
    Far be it for me to disparage art created by the people that invented art. I agree with you and sometimes my comments don't actually represent my intentions. I try to keep an open mind about things in general. There are just enough unexplained things in the world to leave me wondering and not completely dismiss a concept whether folklore, religion, literary legend or old wives tales. But it is hard to imagine bigfoot circling the Himalayas in a flying saucer. A wookie maybe...
    SummerForgivenessBoudicca
  • I think that the news reports mis-listed the competition. It was for a landscape that depicted the HISTORY of the landscape - not just a landscape. When I realise that (it was said by the curator in the video), then the landscapes made more sense to me. And helped me understand the differences in the paintings.

Fascinating and wonderful!!

BOB73Bancroft414