Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

painting posting - Alaskan Brown Bears

Been in a slump so went back to painting animals. I went to the Denver Museum and photographed dioramas. Is that wrong? Anyways... any comments welcome and thank you for taking a gander.
dencalCastillo[Deleted User]cynthiagwilsonRonnaedwardChristelgfishMark_CardermycGarytjsrgrelenaGraciellaVangiemariebMarcusKeith_A1luisfranciscoCaravaggiohdavinumblank

Comments

• I love it..and I can't think of a better way to paint bears. You can be up close and personal without having to be up close and personal!

I really enjoy your animal paintings, Sue.
    tjs
  • thank you, Sue! (I love your name, hehe)
    Harrellmarieb
  • As always Sue. Perfection!!!
    sue_deutscher
  • Sue you have done it again, well done, very good! You certianly are very productive!
    sue_deutscher
  • What a great idea and a great painting. I love it!
    sue_deutscher
  • Love the wonderful brush strokes....great painting! ^:)^
    sue_deutscher
  • ;;) :x =D> :3 adorable!!! ;)
    sue_deutscher
  • Well done Sue! :-bd
    sue_deutscher
  • Bears are very beautiful and you were bravissima to include them in the background! :-bd
  • Stunning! Really beautiful, and a great idea to photograph stuffed bears.
    sue_deutscher
  • Very nice, Sue. Do you have a good zoo near you like in Denver? I couple of artists here go to the Phoenix Zoo, photograph animals and then a proper landscape either their own photos or off the internet to place the anilas in. Only trick it to make sure the light is coming from the same direction. Being an artist you can adjust the colors as needed and with Mark's limited palette you will stay in harmony. Just a thought, worth exactly what it cost me to give it. :)
    marieb
  • ha ha, John, AZPainter, what it cost you to give it. Love it. I live a couple of miles from the zoo and have actually heard the lions roar on Sunday morning when it is peacefully quiet, no traffic, etc. I've taken tons of photos there. It's a great resource.
  • That's great. :) I sort of thought you might have used that resource. I would think anyone who did wildlife and such would do something like that quite often. I knew Gary Swanson and he had traveled all over the world photographing animals and he once said the animals in the wild are often less cooperative than ones in the zoo. It seems in some cases the animals in the wild sometime identify a camera with a long lens much the same as a gun and will often run away if they see the photographer. So Gary would do his best to photograph them in the wild, but he said he often shot as many details of trees, ledges and plains areas, say the savannah in Africa as he did the animals and he would then add the animals from zoo's and other places where he could approach closer and safer and the animals were accustomed to cameras and the like. I've found photographing people in the wild of bars and on the street just as "iffy."
    :D
  • edited April 2013
    I'd sure love to photograph on the Savannah. Here is one I did from a zoo trip:
    Gary
  • Excellent painting, I feel like I`m there
    sue_deutscher
  • Love the bears but honestly I like the lion even more!
    sue_deutscher
  • SusieQSusieQ -
    edited April 2013
    sue. love the bears. I.ve been to Alaska twice but the only bears I saw were either stuffed in the hotel or musuem or at the Zoo. Did see some Moose in real though. The first time a mither and baby came right through parking lot of hotel. And the others were along the roads. Of coyrse they had them in zoo too and the Alaska wildlife refuge had bears and moose and a lot of others native to Alaska. The other amazing thing was the red Salmon.
    Anyway I love your painting of bears. Maybe someday i will be able to paint some of my pictures if i can get to where I feel good enough to try.
    sue_deutscher
  • I went to Alaska and was fishing on the Kenai. I was peeing on a little island with my waders at half mast. Out of the bushes about 20 feet away across a little rivulet .... Mr Grizzly. You can't run with waders down. I flew. In the boat. He was gone. Whew.
    Garysue_deutscherSusieQ
  • SusieQSusieQ -
    edited April 2013
    Kingston. I was at Kenai. took a day tour out in a boat to see a glacier. Had dinner on the boat. My son loved the boats when they came in for the day with fish. Huge fish. Did you catch any or did the bear get them.
  • My son lives outside Seward, AK and the salmon run a stream at the back of his property. The browns feed along the stream and when they come they claim the area. He has a fire pit and sitting area along the stream but when the feeding is on the campfire is out. lol I have been on the Kenai a number of times, beautiful is lacking in definition. :)
  • edited April 2013
    We rowed away. there were other guys fishing in the area they seemed unfazed. I went to Alaska to fish and take photos. The place is so beautiful I hardly took a photo. I was too busy trying to keep my jaw off my chest.

A note: I live in northeastern PA and have black bears on my property. They are very afraid of of people. I treat them with great caution but they're not scary like brown bears. Better to paint them from a diorama.
  • Yea, I agree, we have had black bears too. My son was driving one rainy night and we were about 40 minutes from home and all at once a big black bear was there sitting right in road. Luckily there was no other traffic and he served but grazed the back of the bear which threw us in a spin and we were head on going into guardrail and I though that was it because I knew it was a sharp drop on onther side of giard rail and I really didn't think it would hold us but it bounced us back and we did a complete spin and ended up back in directioon we were headed but we didn't know how much damage there was and before he even got control On Star came on saying they detected a crash and wanted to know if we were ok. They called the poloce and stayed on line with us until police arrived. The turned their car so their headlight was on ours and we could check out damage. Luckily only the front was messed up and it appeared drivable so we drove back with them following us in case there was trobule. Cost about 4 thousand to get repaired but we were all ok, i think I was the worst, I ended up black and blue but ok.
    We have lots of deers, turkeys just about evey week or so, racoons, One of those came up on our porch and was on the window sill looking in. scared my youngest son half to death when he turned and saw these eyes loking at him. But it is very hard to get pictures of them.
    Gfish- I have been to Seward twice, Love it. It is so beautiful there. My son had work in Anchorage so we stayed there but loved driving down the Seward highway. This last time we actually saw a Beluga whale but by the time we got stopped to try and get a picture it was long gone.
  • I really like the bears they are beautiful
  • Just 3 pics from last Aug. First is fishing for salmon in Resurrection Bay in my son's boat. Seward is in the distance. Second, I rented a plane and flew up to the Haring Ice Field and am descending towards Seward and the bay. Third are some salmon near the end of their run in the stream on my sons property. They have about another 500 yards to get to Bear Lake and breed. They are getting in bad shape by this point. It is truely a great place to go.
  • Great pics Bubba G! Like to see the bend in the rod in the first pic....hope that's your rod and it had dinner on the other end! :)
  • SusieQSusieQ -
    edited April 2013
    gfish
    I was in Seward last August or the last week in August and 1st of September. These remind me of my time in Seward but it was a rainy cold day the day we were there or days. the first day we were scheduled for a day cruise and they cancelled it because of weather. So we spent the day sight seeing and driving around and the ocean was so beautiful. And the eagles in the trees.
  • SusieQ, did you go to Exit Glacier? My son owns ExitGlacierGuides.com and does glacier tours at Exit and another across the bay. One more pick I got a couple years ago. I have had humpback whales within 25 yards of my son's fishing boat which is a 15' inflatable with a 30 hp motor. Pretty dynamic.
  • gfishgfish -
    edited April 2013
    Gary, that is my rod but I was trolling using a diver to about 30 feet where the silver salmon were so not dinner in that pic. Did have one later but it is a fish story because I did not take a pic. No pic, no one believes you when it comes to fishing. :))
    Gary
  • SusieQSusieQ -
    edited April 2013
    yES, WE DID GO TO EXIT GLACIER.. BOTH TIMES. EXCEPT THIS LAST TIME I WAS NOT ABLE TO WALK THAT MUCH. i MESSED MY LEFT ANKLE UP A FEW YEARS AGO AND IT NEVER HEALED CORRECTLY. sO IT GETS PRETTY WEAK AT TIMES WHEN i DO TOO MUCH WALKING SO i STAYED AT THE VISITOR CENTER AND LET THE YOUNGER ONES DO THE WALKING. tHE FIRST TIME i WENT IN 2006 i HIKED OUT TO THE GLACIER.
    mY OLDEST SON HAD TO WORK 4 DAYS IN aNCHORAGE SO WHILE HE WAS WORKING WE WENT TO PlACES AROUND ANCHORAGE, TH ZOO. THE MUSEUM. TOOK A TROLLEY TOUR OF aNCHORAGE, wENT TO THE WILDLIFE CENTER. sON TOOK REST OF NEXT WEEK AND WE DROVE NORTH AN WENT A FEW DAYS TO sEWARD AND MESSED AROUNG THERE. wENT TO PORTAGE GLACIER. took the day cruise out in Resurection bay and had dinner on boat. Yhe first time it was a sunny day and nice. this last time it was raining and cold and the water was choppy so agin I let the younger ones enjoy while I watched from inside in the warmth where i could still see the warwe and the wildlife. We did see a whale spouting but could not get good pictures. But it is so beautiful in Alaska. I don't think I would like it in winter except for beautiful pictures. We get enough snow here for me. too much that is. I can't take the cold as well anymore. My son said he would like to go back and do a fishing day.
  • Gfish. o love your whale picture. Did you paint it?
  • I did not paint it. The pic is not that good.
  • Sue love the painting , and great to see you have made the gallery on the home page , well done and much deserved .
    sue_deutscher
  • eres extraordinaria con tu trabajo me gusto mucho mucho mucho =D> =D> =D>
    sue_deutscher