Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

COMPLETED - Cinque Terre

Comments

• movingalonghome

I put the roller in a ziplock bag or wrap in damp towel between coats.

Denis

PaulB
  • Re rigger hairs. Most of my brushes will lose a few or many hairs when I workthem before painting with them. this seems to be normal regardless of style, quality or price or type of hair except nylon loses a lot. I use OMS to clean and work the brushes when new. I'm pretty rough with them and don't let up until at least one or two hairs come out. I pull on them a lot with a oms moist rag too. Then any hairs sticking out of place I don't like, I cut away with surgeons scissors. A few brushes just won't get that feeling I like or don't behave, I discard or cut the long part of the handle off and use for glue or "disposable after use" things.
    PaulB
  • SummerSummer -
    edited October 2017
    A couple of things that also come to mind which I tend to forget are to keep the ferrule away from anything really hot or even too warm because it melts the glue inside; and to "manhandle" the bristles before first use by feeling the bristles thoroughly with your fingers.  This will remove the hairs that are already loose. On one occasion, all the bristles came out of the ferrule at once when I did this.  Cheap brush!
    BOB73
  • Better to fall out before use than while painting wet in wet. I'm lucky my wife didn't discard me when my hair fell out prematurely!
    RenoirPaulBSummer
  • I wasn't so keen on the texure left by the roller when I tried using that with gesso.
    PaulB
  • I love this piece.  I wonder if @Wiken is watching.
    PaulB
  • I am watching and enjoying the progress.  You have already painted the side window of our room.  I'll point it out later. 
    PaulB
  • WIKEN said:
    I am watching and enjoying the progress.  You have already painted the side window of our room.  I'll point it out later. 
    Oh, that's great!

This is the most enjoyable painting to work on.  At first it was daunting, but now there is some progress, it's clear that all it takes is steady work, and it begins to come together.  Now when I paint some structure, it connects to existing structures, and more depth emerges.

Because of easel issues, i have it wedged in place and I'm working on it now while my leaf dries a bit.  I should have a nice progress update to show this weekend.
  • It will be worth the time, however long it takes.
  • Groovy man! I see what would be a composition problem for me. the two distinct colors of the sea come together exactly at the top of the tower making it look like it was contrived to draw the eye to the tower or the tower is supposed to be holding up the sea. I know you haven't finished that area yet and would catch it eventually when you back up a few feet for a look. I just wanted to sharpshoot your inner critic. Don't worry about the umbrellas, In the gallery they won't let people get close enough to see stripes on them anyway.
    PaulB
  • I've been hanging out to see this progress. It's looking good to me @PaulB.

Don't worry about the stripes on the umbrellas. I can't even see them in the photo on your easel above. 

I'd like to see you do the water in the harbor next so we get more context surrounding the buildings. This would also tie the lower half of the picture in with the sea at the top.

I must be patient. :)
    PaulB
  • Thanks @BOB73.  I see what you mean about the tower and the ocean.  The alignment is coincidental, and could be better.  But I have made it worse because I painted the ocean around the empty shape, and should have just painted over the darwing.  This would have eliminated the odd lines I created around the tower.  I'll fix that.  Thanks for reminding me.

But I'm not worried about the lines that exist in the photo.  I've not bought into the "draw the eye" stuff, and not being an artist means I can thumb my nose at it.
    BOB73
  • tassieguy said:
    I've been hanging out to see this progress. It's looking good to me @PaulB.

Don't worry about the stripes on the umbrellas. I can't even see them in the photo on your easel above. 

I'd like to see you do the water in the harbor next so we get more context surrounding the buildings. This would also tie the lower half of the picture in with the sea at the top.

I must be patient. :)
    Thanks @tassieguy.  The umbrellas are the first (of many) things I am just not going to paint.  Everything else I have got away with abstracting it, but not those.

The water in the harbor is something I'm thinking about doing soon.  My only concern is that being low on the panel, I'll lean my hands against it a lot.  But I agree, it would be nice to have that dark area to help with the boats, and harbor wall work.

I've divided it into five sections (light, yellowish, cloudy, dark, greenish).  Then there is the surface, where I have a base color and a surface ripple color.  I'm thinking of doing it like this.  First I block in the undercolor and blend the boundaries where needed.  Then I do this:

Here is a boundary between two regions, "light" (lower) and "greenish" (upper).  Then I extend the greenish into the light like this:

And then the reverse, extending the light into the greenish:

I think that will yield the right results, and is how I need to do it, but if anyone has a better technique, please tell me.

@tassieguy, with your rhinoceros painting, did you have a layered approach to the ocean surface, or did you just place a mix of the right colors in the right proportion to each other, in small brushstrokes?  I can't imagine you painted that one in squares, but perhaps you did.
    edavison
  • edited November 2017
    I think your approach is sound, @PaulB. Although I did Triceratops in sections I did each section of the water as you have outlined above - base colour then surface reflections of rock and sky on top.  I painted the base colour in thin, dry paint and was able to put the next layer ( ripples with reflections of sky etc) down without disturbing the base layer even though it was not really dry. 
    PaulBBOB73
  • Good approach with the light and green. Your reason to delay the harbour water is also sound.
    PaulB
  • I have watched this develop with fascination.  Its so good I can hardly believe it.  I love your comment that you are not an artist so you can thumb your nose at it, whatever it is.  Its called artistic license after all.  So I hesitate to offer any suggestions because its already better than I could do, but I will ask a question, can you paint in the lagoon with some drier added so you won't worry about your hand later?

PaulB
  • MikeDerby said:
    can you paint in the lagoon with some drier added so you won't worry about your hand later?

Thanks @MikeDerby.  Yes I can do that, I hadn't even considered using a drier.
  • Day 45 (179 hours)

Painted the harbo[u]r.  It looks dark because I painted the darker of the ripple colors, and it's only just blocked in.  This will be lightened up after I paint a million ripples, and add the rocks on the left, and the shallow water color surrounding them, not to mention 60+ boats.  It looks black on the left, but it's actually a dark brown/green.  It was all color-checked.  This was easily 40ml of paint used today.  Oh, and I sank the boat again.

Most of the recent work is on the right side with two stone towers and the restaurant above the rightmost one.  I've painted three restaurants now.

Now a short break while this dries.  I have several other paintings going, all of which need attention.  Managed to get paint on my face today, that's new.
    Juliannajrbgolfs[Deleted User]Bancroft414
  • I managed not to get paint on my face one day. That was new. The harbour looks good, even at the block-in stage. I do like your red umbrellas with the green roof. 
    PaulBJuliannaBancroft414
  • When you have completed this painting, will you "step into it" and rent an apartment? It is so realistic and with some parts painted and other parts empty it gives me almost a surrealistic feeling! Great work !
    JuliannaKschaben
  • Filuren said:
    When you have completed this painting, will you "step into it" and rent an apartment? It is so realistic and with some parts painted and other parts empty it gives me almost a surrealistic feeling! Great work !
    Thank you.  I certainly don't feel the need to go there any more.
    BoudiccaJulianna
  • Roxy said:
    I do like your red umbrellas with the green roof. 
    It took (me) using cad red and phthalo blue to get those colors, and having done that, it's become a focal point.  Once I paint the square in the middle, I think it will take over.
    JuliannaRoxy
  • Wow, really starting to take shape now! I love the look of the water in the harbor but I know you still have a bit to do there. Keep at it. :)
    PaulBJuliannaRenoir
  • @PaulB   I am now feeling like I am on Facebook and missing posts.  I have not seen your past week's worth of updates and thought you were just working or waiting for your easel to feel more steady.  I think I am on here frequently and try to stay in touch with what is going on so I apologize for not ever seeing your latest posts or responding.   I don't know how I have missed these updates.  That water is really bringing everything together!  I can't wait to see this when it is done. 
    PaulB
  • I’m following this with great interest @PaulB Could I ask you what brushes you’re using to get such fine detail ? 
    This painting will be be as mesmerising as Rob’s trees ! 
    Two very patient and meticulous artists ! 
    I love watching this progress. 
    PaulBFilurenRenoir
  • Hilary said:
    Could I ask you what brushes you’re using to get such fine detail ?
    Thanks @Hilary.  It's a Rosemary & Co Rigger brush.  I think it's size 0, but all the lettering has rubbed off of it, and half the bristles have fallen out.  I never expected a $4 brush to last 9 months, but it has more life in it yet.
    Renoir
  • Two years ago, me and my girlfriend stayed in Rio Maggiore for a week. We took the train and walked back home and as I recall it, when we came along the walking path, we could see this city, which name has disappeared in my mind. But, when I see your painting evolving in this fantastic manner, it is with a chill down my spine, because we saw this city from this angle.
    PaulB
  • Filuren said:
    ... we could see this city, which name has disappeared in my mind. 
    Vernazza.  It's a gorgeous place, and @WIKEN took a beautiful photograph.  From satellite photos I can see the path that you are mentioning, from where the photo was taken.
    Renoir
  • Quite wonderful how this is coming along!
    PaulBBancroft414
  • Do you have a spot on the wall open for this one?
    This isn't going on the wall, it's too big and the walls are already too full.  The fun is in painting it.

• @PaulB Oh my goodness, you have made great progress. Filling in the water seems to make it all fall into place. It took my breath away to see this! I wish I had the tenacity you possess!
    PaulB
  • Oh, I'm aching to see this finished. C'mon, @PaulB , pull out all stops. It's going to be a masterpiece.
    PaulBBancroft414
  • Renoir said:
    Filling in the water seems to make it all fall into place.
    Thank you @Renoir.  I agree.  I'm finding that every element that goes in allows me to work on the adjacent element much more easily.  So now the water is in, the beach area becomes a good idea, and those rocks lower right are possible, etc.

It's very much like doing a jigsaw (@WIKEN you could sell this photo to a jigsaw company).  It's one thing to correctly place a single piece in two-dimensional space, but it's much more satisfying and motivating to connect parts together.
    Julianna
  • Yeah we are all anxious but take your time. 
  • tassieguy said:
    C'mon, @PaulB , pull out all stops.
    Sorry @tassieguy, this is me already pulling out all the stops.  I'll include a countdown, days left, because I'm sticking to my one year estimate.  Therefore, 231 days remaining, but I really think I'll beat that.  I think I might have the record for the longest execution of DMP #3.

I can't really work on this every day, because I start wanting to do something else, something simple, like a leaf (although that didn't work out as planned) to break up the effort, and let it dry out.
    Julianna
  • edited November 2017
    Even if it takes you 10 years, I love how you are enjoying the process.  It's not the end game - it's the moment and joy of creating.  (P.S. I still don't understand why this thread isn't showing up on my post your paintings feed)  I missed several of your updates.  

P.P.S.  and now, it is showing up.  
    PaulBRenoir
  • edited November 2017
    This is just amazing to me. The rich color, detail, and the size of it compared to the source. My husband wanted to know if you use a magnifying glass to see the details.
    PaulB
  • Kschaben said:
    This is just amazing to me. The rich color, detail, and the size of it compared to the source. My husband wanted to know if you use a magnifying glass to see the details.
    Yes I do, for the fiddly bits.

• I got this one, makes me look like a Storm Trooper

PaulBBancroft414
  • Cool ! I thought you might have to unless you had another superpower to add to your superpower of observation I just read about on another post.
    JuliannaPaulBBoudicca
  • Good stuff @PaulB.   I admire your skills and patience to pull this one off.   The progress looks amazing.
  • mchewett said:
    Good stuff @PaulB.   I admire your skills and patience to pull this one off.   The progress looks amazing.
    Thank you, that means a lot coming from you.

I like it, it's full of lessons for me, and one long learning experience.  Good thing I don't have someone waiting for it (228 days left @tassieguy).
  • @Kschaben Failing eyesight is the reason for the magnifier.

I noticed when I was painting the beach area that if I lean in close, beyond the point where my eyes will focus these days, all I see is a fuzzy abstract version, much like standing back.
  • edited November 2017
    Yes I have the same priblem. It was you noticing that one member was left handed by his hand wtitting. That truly was a sherlock moment. 
    All kidding aside you are amazing and your humility, kindness and generosity with your assistance  is also. That is not flattery just what I perseve.
     I just got new glass but they are bifocals and such a pain to use. I think I will get something  like you have, What strength do you use? I see them from 1x to 10 X and 20 X.
    @PaulB

PaulBBancroft414
  • @Kschaben Thank you for finding a positive side to my nitpicking, fault-finding nature.

I had bifocals for a week, but not any more.  It was like a broken leg waiting to happen for me.  The magnifier I purchased (I went for the cheapest one, under $20) came with a 2.5x lens.  They sell a pack of three different magnifications, but I find I don't need it, and I just use the 2.5x.

It also only helps if I'm doing fiddly work with a tiny brush.  Any other configuration, and the magnifier is just in the way.  Try drinking tea while wearing the magnifier, and all kinds of fun ensue.
    EstherHForgivenessBOB73Bancroft414
  • I can image, That is funny. I figured my blurred vision could help as everyone talks about squinting. But with the detail you are,working with it would be a must. Glad your here. Thanks again.
    PaulB
  • This is going to be amazing Paul! Beautiful colors... I love this little village...
    PaulB
  • Would it help @PaulB if we all chipped in and did a little bit each ?  :)
    If there were an award for tackling a gargantuan , epic endeavour you’d win hands down. 
    Your incomparable powers of observation will be put to good use here ! 
    I love those little red umbrellas! 
    When this painting is completed , it’s going to take the viewer hours to look at it and appreciate each detail. 
    You could sell this to a very upmarket Italian restaurant! 
    Charge gazillions and take a month’s vacation in Italy ! 
    Bancroft414