Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

WIP - Cinque Terre

Comments

• edited October 2017
    The shrubbery looks great, @PaulB. I'm always amazed at how much one has to tone down greens to get them to look natural - they are always grayer than they seem when you first look at them. The greens on your palette look just like the batch of greens I mixed for my current painting.

When you get around to it can you give us another wide shot of the whole canvas so we can get a feel for how far you've got and see the detail shots in context?

Rob
    PaulBJulianna
  • This little piggy went to the parapet,

kaustavM
  • Coming out amazingly! Waiting for the final photograph.
  • @tassieguy Thanks, here is a wide shot.  It's not a good shot because I'm in a room lit for painting, which is to say I have angle lamps pointed right at the panel.  If I step back and try to photograph the whole thing, I get reflections because the panel is large.  If the panel were smaller, I could arrange a light/camera setup that would work.  For a good photo, it will have to wait until I take it outside in sunlight with a camera I do not yet own.

@Boudicca You're right, that bench does look pig-like.  Not sure I can do much about it.  Here's why:

@kaustavM Thanks. You might be waiting a while...

Juliannajrbgolfs
  • @PaulB   the shrubbery looks fantastic!
    PaulB
  • Day 34 (142 hours)

Some days are better than others.  I added this little cafeteria dungeon extension thing.  I still have some noise to add in there to the tables, and I think I need to lighten those roof supports, and make them look less like tree branches.  

Moving on to the restaurant above, all was going well.  The roof now looks better, and thereare cables and things added up there.  Some seating and tables are in, more to go.  The stonework below is okay, but probably needs some touching up.

Then I tried that rock face on the far right.  Oh dear.  I don't really know what went wrong there.  I'm going to paint around it for now, and return to it later.  What is there now is attempt #3, having wiped off the previous two.  There's something about that rock texture I can't get right, not sure what it is yet.

Next up is another shrubbery.
    SummerBoudiccajrbgolfs
  • Day 37 (149 hours)

Unhappy update: last night the Artristic Easel failed me again.  This time the tripod is at fault.  The screw mechanism that locks the head in place just broke/snapped, while painting.  This caused the head and painting to just drop forwards until the head hit hard against the tripod legs, leaning forwards as does a pastel easel.  This threw the balance such that the whole thing then fell forwards onto me, brush in one hand, palette knife in the other.

I did manage to catch the whole thing after it all hit me, so nothing hit the floor, but the lamp (again) took a hit.  There is now a large smudge in the wet paint area where my hand went up, and a 15cm gouge across the middle that goes all the way down to the Dibond and through 5 of the painted houses.  I think the lamp did that.

So this is the end of the Artristic easel.  It was warped from the beginning so as to not be able to grab a canvas on all four sides.  It cannot hold panels at all without adding padding and tolerating a lot of rattling.  And it just proved it cannot hold the weight of a large Dibond panel, or at least the tripod cannot.  It could be that I just got a bad one with several problems and I was unlucky, but it does imply quality issues.  I've had it with this thing, I'm evaluating proper easels.

Once I stop being angry I have several hours of repair to do on the painting, including re-priming a line across the middle.  Then again I have no easel, so this project is on hold.  Back to little panels...
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited October 2017
    @PaulB

I'd offer to share your travail if it would help.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  I, too, must be more alert to these things.

Summer
    PaulB
  • Paulb

So sorry to hear of this tragic collapse. 

Denis

PaulB
  • @PaulB Ugh! I am so sorry to hear this!!! Did you get injured in the process? I guess this proves that using substandard/broken equipment/supplies is never a good idea. I hope you can recover well. This is an incredible painting.

PaulB
  • Boudicca said:
    Buggeration! @PaulB.
    Eloquently put.  I only wish I had been filming the painting, something I have been considering.  Wouldn't that have made excellent comedy footage?

Wait, @Boudicca, you are bouncing along a dirt road, but still able to interact here?  Impressive connectivity.
    Julianna
  • No, we’re leaving on Saturday morning, 6am. Doing prep at the moment, 30 litres of water, first aid kit, and all the other stuff. 
    I wish you had filmed that, would have been hilarious. Paul B starring in Cinque Terror. 
    PaulBJulianna
  • Renoir said:
    @PaulB Ugh! I am so sorry to hear this!!! Did you get injured in the process? I guess this proves that using substandard/broken equipment/supplies is never a good idea. I hope you can recover well. This is an incredible painting.
    Thanks @Renoir, no injuries - I hope I didn't give that impression.  Just a surprise followed by some slapstick.  It just changes my project until an easel shows up.
    Renoir
  • Oh no! Sorry to hear about this.. :(
    PaulB
  • @PaulB would it  be easier / safer to set this up on a table easel slanted at 45 degrees - I mostly work that way with albeit smaller canvas but I find the facility to rotate the canvas to my sitting or standing position helpful
    on a flat horizontal set up I find that I was contorting my body and twisting all the time and just adding stress to my body - just a thought 
    PaulB
  • Boudicca said:
    I wish you had filmed that, would have been hilarious. Paul B starring in Cinque Terror. 
    At least I didn't drop the brush.  This project might be cursed, a lot has happened...
  • alsart said:
    @PaulB would it  be easier / safer to set this up on a table easel slanted at 45 degrees - I mostly work that way with albeit smaller canvas but I find the facility to rotate the canvas to my sitting or standing position helpful
    on a flat horizontal set up I find that I was contorting my body and twisting all the time and just adding stress to my body - just a thought 
    This thing is too big for a table-top easel, it's 4 feet wide and quite heavy.  What I need is something that grabs the panel, and presents it vertically.  Anything other than vertical will only encourage me to lean on it, and it also makes lighting more complex.

When I work on small panels, I sometimes hold it in one hand and paint with the other, and rotate it a lot, just like you describe.  I can't work horizontally.
  • 4 feet, wow did not realize the size and monumental task you have taken on, this is a wall not a canvas @PaulB
    RenoirJuliannaPaulB
  • I jest with the below ($150), but its something like that you could rig up with some DIY - I seen your basement painting so you got the tools,..

PaulBKschabenRosanne
  • Dang glad you didn't get hurt. 
    PaulB
  • alsart said:
    I jest with the below ($150), but its something like that you could rig up with some DIY - I seen your basement painting so you got the tools,..

That looks like an industrial strength version of my setup, and cheaper too.

@dencal, this seems right up your alley...
    Renoir
  • SummerSummer -
    edited October 2017
    @PaulB ;

I just had a thought about how to secure the aluminum panel that you are working on to a structure for painting.  Would it be possible to convert your worktable into an easel?  Having built a studio and an easel myself with the help of my husband, an idea like this doesn't seem as far-fetched as it would have a few years ago.  Without having to add anything to your floor or wall space, you could add three metal supports, two vertical and one horizontal, to the table already in your studio about a quarter of the way in, the shape of a large staple.  You'd only have to secure these three pieces to the table and they could be made removable.  Your aluminum panel would be secured to this framework temporarily with clamps, maybe two channels top and bottom, or other devices.  Just a thought.

P.S.  Maybe @Bob73 ; could explain this better.

Summer
    PaulB
  • @PaulB I'm just glad you didn't get hurt.  Your comment to @Boudicca had me belly laughing because I was thinking the same thing!  "Dang, she's bumping around the outback and still gets internet and is still so helpful"!   lol    Anyway, perhaps the universe thought you needed a break, you'll paint some smaller panels and the Cinque will be all the better for it!
    PaulBBoudicca
  • Summer said:
    @PaulB ;

I just had a thought about how to secure the aluminum panel that you are working on to a structure for painting.  Would it be possible to convert your worktable into an easel?  Having built a studio and an easel myself with the help of my husband, an idea like this doesn't seem as far-fetched as it would have a few years ago.  Without having to add anything to your floor space, you could add three metal supports, two vertical and one horizontal, to the table already in your studio about a quarter of the way in, the shape of a large staple.  You'd only have to secure these three pieces to the table and they could be made removable.  Your aluminum panel would be secured to this framework temporarily with clamps, maybe two channels top and bottom, or other devices.  Just a thought.

P.S.  Maybe @Bob73 ; could explain this better.

Summer
    Thanks @Summer, you might be right, but I am not handy at all, and won't be making any attempts at building anything.  New easel already on order.
    Summer
  • Julianna said:
    Anyway, perhaps the universe thought you needed a break, you'll paint some smaller panels and the Cinque will be all the better for it!
    Dang, painting is my break.  Three smaller panels already in progress.  Cinque will be back soon, once I've strapped it to a more sturdy frame.
  • Yikes. I've never been attacked by a painting before. Good thing the aluminium is relatively light.
    PaulB
  • edited October 2017
    @PaulB, you could use really strong mounting tape to stick the aluminium panel to a wall so it's vertical. When you're finished you would then use a blade of some sort behind the mounting tape to get it off the wall. Depends on whether you have the wall space and can adjust your lighting.

I so want to see this one finished. :)
  • tassieguy said:
    @PaulB, you could use really strong mounting tape to stick the aluminium panel to a wall so it's vertical. When you're finished you would then use a blade of some sort behind the mounting tape to get it off the wall. Depends on whether you have the wall space and can adjust your lighting.

I so want to see this one finished. :)
    That's a good idea.  I thought of a sturdy shelf, then just velcro the top against the wall.  But you're right, that does require wall space, and I don't have any of that.  Floor space I do have, certainly enough for a serious easel.

I also want to see it finished, but I'm not done learning yet.  Plenty of challenges left in this one, including all the violence.
  • You're onto something - new fashion trend alert!    https://shopvida.com/search?q=cinque+terre&x=0&y=0    You could sell prints of your painting when you are done!
    dencalPaulB
  • Julianna said:
    You're onto something - new fashion trend alert!    https://shopvida.com/search?q=cinque+terre&x=0&y=0    You could sell prints of your painting when you are done!
    That's crazy.  Send me a shoe, I'll paint a building on it.
  • If you want to see an interesting approach to building a wall mounted easel, check out Andrew Tischler's video.....
    dencalRichard_PRenoirKschaben
  • Oh, that's very clever!
  • Get yourself some two by fours 2x4s and watch those videos I sent before. Either that or mount the thing on a wall with some mirror mounting clips.
  • So sorry about the damage to you painting. at first i thought you said it had a big  tear all the way across you canvas,but now it sounds like it scraped the paint off all the way across. either way not good but one defiantly better than the other. Glad you are OK. Hey that easel video sounds like a great idea. Hope you up and running soon.

• So sorry to hear about this @PaulB  
    Rotten , rotten luck. But you’ll turn things around and you’ll have your stunning painting back before too long. 
  • Day 38 (152 hours)

Happy update: The painting is repaired.

Jamming the easel in place with a wrench, and fixing it so it no longer moves, I fixed the big gouge.  I didn't re-prime it, as I thought I would, I just blocked in the mark with oils, then when that dried a little, blended it in with the various roof/wall/window features it cut across.  It looks okay, and from a distance you can't see the problem, although if someone fixed my car this well, I would not be happy with it.  Luckily the gouge did not run right through a light colored patch such as sky or sea, the colors and complexity hid most of the problem.  I had to mix about 9 colors just to fill in one line.

The harder part was fixing the wet area that I smudged badly with my hand.  Mark talks about the color white milking up all the darks, and I got to experience that, because smacking a painting with your hand has the same effect, if there is wet white paint there.  For this I had to wipe what I could (not much), then fix from dark to light.  The result is okay, but not nearly as clean and subtle as the first attempt was.  It would probably have been better if I had wiped and blocked in the whole affected area in black, then painted from scratch again.  That would have taken longer, but probably yielded a more pleasing result.

The gouge went from the orange house at the top left to the red house bottom right.  The hand smudge was on the (wet) red house, and it all smeared upwards into the shrubbery.  The patio furniture in the red house was where all the white came from.  Some of this has dried all flat, as you can see.  Should be a nice surprise once it's all varnished.

I still have some touch-up to do, but overall, another good lesson for me.

New easel ordered and being constructed.  Three other paintings now in progress, which is making a nice break.  There is a landscape, a detail oriented painting, and I'm copying a (not very) old master.
    Bancroft414JuliannaRenoir
  • This is getting better and better....awesome!
  • I cannot see the damage nor the repair.  Well done!
    Renoir
  • I cannot see the damage nor the repair.  Well done!
    Thanks - the power of mixing almost the right color.  You can see it in the light, and if you know where to look.

Julianna
  • Thanks for the detailed update on how to handle such things.
    PaulB
  • Great news @PaulB ;
    So happy for you. 
    This is one painting you’re never ever going to forget !!!!
    PaulB
  • Hilary said:
    This is one painting you’re never ever going to forget !!!!
    ... or finish, it seems!  Ha.  Thanks @Hilary.
    Bancroft414Willis
  • Summer said:
    Thanks for the detailed update on how to handle such things.
    Thanks @Summer, but I don't think I can say how to do this, just how *I* did this, which is either good enough, or someone will tell me how to do it better.
  • You did good!  I can just imagine the expletives at the time of the accident--at least if you are anything like me.  I think it was important that you shared the fact that you had an accident with us.  It is rarely talked about--that kind of nitty gritty, I mean.   :)   I don't see any videos on YouTube while an accident is happening.  Rare info, and I appreciate it.  
    Bancroft414
  • It's coming along nicely, @PaulB. Glad you were able to repair the damage. How do you think it ill take to finish now?
  • tassieguy said:
    It's coming along nicely, @PaulB. Glad you were able to repair the damage. How do you think it ill take to finish now?
    I think it will take a year, which means July 1.  I'm not exactly focussing on getting this finished, it being a giant learning experience for me, with other paintings being done in parallel, and of course I don't have your enviable 8h a day schedule.  I think a year is a good estimate.
    Summer