Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

WIP - Cinque Terre

Comments

• MikeDerby said:
    I love this thread.  I literally laughed out loud at the tennis ball.  The painting is outstanding.  All the work that is being done lately is so personal.  How would any of us ever sell something?
    Thanks.  I'm enjoying this being one of the lighter threads.  My struggles are not real, and the chatter is motivating.
  • @PaulB   I think you are too hard on yourself.  The umbrellas will read fine when you get the rest in.  I think with something this scale, you may tend to lose sight and get frustrated - have you seen "Tim's Vemeer"?  This kind of reminds me of that - Tim woke up each day and dreaded painting a certain item and it seemed endless and he was so glad to move to the next part of the painting.  I imagine that is something you may feel with this monstrous project but you will have something you are very proud of in the end.  Thank you for posting your progress and keeping us updated!  I am very much enjoying this!
    PaulB
  • keep going @PaulB ; this is developing very nicely, one day I hope to undertake something of this magnitude
    PaulB
  • @Julianna Shall we call this "Paul's Cinque"?
    JuliannaPaulB
  • Richard_P said:
    @Julianna Shall we call this "Paul's Cinque"?
    More of a Kitchen Cinque.
    BoudiccaRenoir
  • I was wondering if  a fine-tooth comb used like a stencil might work for the awnings. Never tried it myself, just a thought.
    PaulB
  • Julianna said:
    ... I think with something this scale, you may tend to lose sight and get frustrated ...
    Thanks @Julianna, but I need to say: I love doing this big thing, I don't want it to finish, and I have all the persistence it takes.  I complain for the fun of it.  I will keep posting updates until someone tells me to stop, or it is finished.

There should be a betting pool on the completion date...
    JuliannaRenoir
  • alsart said:
    keep going @PaulB ; this is developing very nicely, one day I hope to undertake something of this magnitude
    Thanks @alsart.  Make sure you don't have plans for a year, would be my advice.
    Julianna
  • BOB73 said:
    I was wondering if  a fine-tooth comb used like a stencil might work for the awnings. Never tried it myself, just a thought.
    Might work.  Or I could spit a mouthful of paint through a comb.  Or I could just paint it white.  One of those.
    BOB73Renoir
  • edited September 2017
    It's looking great, @PaulB.  The finished work is going to be fabulous.

BTW, have you looked at @EstherH's work. I can imagine her doing this type of painting. 

Julianna
  • Impressive and very interesting project! A lot of possibilities to abstract I imagine.
  • tassieguy said:
    BTW, have you looked at @EstherH's work. I can imagine her doing this type of painting. 
    @tassieguy yes, I have studied @EstherH's "ROOFS" painting, it's wonderful.  It's a collage of different roof textures, and in between, little vignettes of private spaces.  It's lovely.  Wisely, she included about 300 fewer figures than I will.
    Julianna
  • Filuren said:
    Impressive and very interesting project! A lot of possibilities to abstract I imagine.
    @Filuren thanks.  Yes, there is lots to abstract.  Furniture on balconies and figures, mostly, because of my brush size, eyesight and patience.
  • Day 20 (84 hours in)

Did some cleanup of the drawing in the upper left (not shown) allowing another house to be painted.

Then I spent three hours messing with this fortification.

I have now rendered the upper level, but I have a lot of lamps, railings and telescopes to add, in addition to ten figures, but I ran out of steam tonight.  I also clearly need to straighten up the walls and top of that tower.

I'll try to stick to daylight photos, it's so difficult to get a good indoor, nighttime photo.

BoudiccaJuliannaRenoirjrbgolfs
  • The fine brush wirk is great is it a 00 size?
  • alsart said:
    The fine brush wirk is great is it a 00 size?
    It is a 00 rigger brush, my favorite.
  • Loving watching this come along.
  • 00 - that's going to be my tool of choice for my leave work tonight and a steady hand thanks @PaulB
  • alsart said:
    00 - that's going to be my tool of choice for my leave work tonight and a steady hand thanks @PaulB
    It's great if you have some detail to paint, like me, but for the apple painting, you need something bigger.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2017
    @PaulB ; Does the brand of your 00 rigger make a difference to you as well as the material it is made of?  You may have said earlier that it was a Rosemary and Co. product.  I looked but I'm confused.  Does 2/0 mean 00 in Rosemary speak?  Noticed that they have "spotters" that look interesting.  Thanks.  The photos of your work space are really helpful and pretty cool.  Still experimenting with aluminum and will post updates at a later time.  Wonder if we will be using varnish or resin to preserve them in the end.  Summer 
    PaulB
  • Summer said:
    @PaulB ; Does the brand of your 00 rigger make a difference to you as well as the material it is made of?  You may have said earlier that it was a Rosemary and Co. product.  I looked but I'm confused.  Does 2/0 mean 00 in Rosemary speak?  Noticed that they have "spotters" that look interesting.  Thanks.  The photos of your work space are really helpful and pretty cool.  Still experimenting with aluminum and will post updates at a later time.  Wonder if we will be using varnish or resin to preserve them in the end.  Summer 
    Hi @Summer, I just checked - it looks like I misspoke.  I have a size 0 Rosemary & Co Series 771 Sable blend rigger.  It costs £2.30 ($3?).  I have a bunch of them, but I'm still on my first one, which I bought in February before I discovered DMP.

Here is my 7 month old 771, with it's brand new replacement.  It has lost bristles over the months, but it is still ideal for me.  Note that it's really the only brush I use.

Because I have only been painting for a few months, I have not really compared different brush manufacturers.  I have not compared bristles, handles or anything really.  But if a rigger can last 7 months (and counting) for only £2.30, then I say that R & Co make great brushes.  Before finding DMP, I didn't exactly treat this brush very well, leaving it in turpentine overnight, as well as letting it dry out and splay.  Luckily it recovered from all that and forgave me.  I have a lot of their other brushes, but have not used them.

I have not tried the spotters, I've been very happy with riggers.  I particularly like the way I can draw long straight(ish) lines.

I'll post "studio" pictures soon, perhaps I'll learn some tips from that.

I have a large pile (70+) of primed wood panels to practice on, of all kinds of materials.  My favorite has to be the aluminum panels though, but I only have three paintings on aluminum, two of them unfinished.  I have a tin of Rustoleum (thanks @dencal) to try on a panel soon.  Not sure if varnish or resin is what I'l do, I'm six months away from varnishing anything on aluminum.  I'll follow your lead, I look forward to seeing what you learn from your experiments.  I'm also hoping for a better solution to cutting aluminum, as my current sharp knife approach feels inferior, and dangerous.
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2017
    @PaulB ; Thanks for the info. about the brushes.  Just placed an order.  About the cutting of the aluminum.  So far, I've been getting pre-cut sheets.  But I will be getting larger sheets and cutting them down with the help of my husband later on.  He thinks that I will need a handle for some hacksaw blades we already have in the shop.  And, some kind of custom jig to hold a single edge steady at the time of each cut.  He already has some bastard sized rasps on hand that look good for smoothing the edges.  Sounds pretty safe to me if I'm wearing shop gloves.  Are you thinking along these lines?  Do the thicknesses of your aluminum sheets vary?  This hacksaw would work for aluminum 3/32nds of an inch or more.  Summer   

PaulB
  • @Summer I'm thinking about using a router to cut the Dibond, once I understand what is involved.  I want the freedom to make any panel size I want.  So far I've got three large panels, each cut into thirds.  I want to make smaller ones.  So far, all are 3mm.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2017
    @PaulB ; From the horse's mouth:  If you have trouble finding a metal-cutting tip for your router, one alternative would be to use a Roto-zip tool.  I'll post updates.  Thanks.  Summer
    PaulB
  • That was a question not a recommendation. The cutters work well on Single thickness sheet metal but you're using a composite I'm not familiar with. I think almost anything would be better than a hacksaw as they have wavy blades and leave a lot of shavings. 
    PaulB
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2017
    @PaulB ; I thought this was enlightening.  Excerpts of this were mentioned in a previous post but I don't believe this video has been seen here yet, though you may have seen it already.  Acrylic vs. oil debate again.  I like the simpler tools.  Summer

PaulB
  • Folks

Amanda makes heavy work of a simple job. Check this quick and easy cut using the same technique.

Denis

SummerPaulB
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited September 2017
    @BOB73 I'm not sure if shears would work well.  I imagine the foam core getting crushed, yielding curved edges.  But I have not tried this.

@Summer Yes, that's is the video I used to cut my panel in just the same way.  Next time I try this, I'm not going to bend the panel, but just keep cutting.  By bending the panel, I created a sharp ridge on the back side on both pieces, which was a pain to remove with a file.
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2017
    @PaulB ; Just saying that I will be cutting both single thickness aluminum and composite core.  And, @BOB73 I agree about the wobbly hacksaw, thus the jig.  Still a lot of overkill in my mind about how to proceed but will filter out all the crap when I get right down to doing it--haha.  Feel like I want to entertain everything, meanwhile.  I should have started using Dibond when I learned that @EstherH was using it a year or so ago.  I wonder if she still is.  Would love to get her thoughts about this thread.    Hmm.  Thanks Paul, Bob, and Denis for your input today.  Love it!  Summer
    dencalPaulB
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2017
    @PaulB ; I just visited Esther's website and it looks like she is painting exclusively on aluminum now.  I believe she began experimenting with it in 2014.  Here is her address if you want to take a look:   http://www.estherhuser.com/  I don't know how she prepares the panels.  It could be any number of ways.  I'll keep looking through her old posts for any information she may have provided.  I was able to discover a few posts where drawing on and shipping Dibond were discussed which I will quote at a later date.  Summer
  • Thank you for sharing this process/progress. You're inspiring me! I love the angles that aren't quite square. Typical for one of those charming sea towns.
    PaulB
  • Day 22 (90 hours in)

Another building done.  The most interesting/fun part of painting these buildings is all the junk on the balconies.  Fiddling with all that unrecognizable nonsense is enjoyable.  And I think it works.

Some rocks and awnings.  I'm happy with how the rocks came out.  I think the water value is too high where it meets the rocks, and I should lower it.

Here I'm trying to put stone texture on the fort.  Not sure if this needs more work or not.  But this one is for all you critter hunters.  Once you see the Guinea Pig, you can't not see it.

I'm keeping some on-panel stats:

alsartSummeranweshaBarbara
  • Good progress - I like the stats 
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2017
    lol  Thanks for the confirmation, @PaulB and @Boudicca, I thought I was seeing things again!  Very clever, both of you!  :)
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited September 2017
    YUP. Some things just can't be un-seen. Very good progress. I like the pelicans too but they look like they're about to make the guy on the beach their lunch.
    Summer
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited September 2017
    dencal said:
    Folks

Amanda makes heavy work of a simple job. Check this quick and easy cut using the same technique.

Denis

I need to report that I just used this technique to snap off a 12" x 32" panel from one of my 32" x 48" panels, then snapped it further into two 12" x 16" panels.  I made two cuts because I didn't feel the first one was made with even pressure.

This technique is easy, and it left no sharp edges at all.  Amazing.  Thanks @dencal.
    SummerRoxydencal
  • Day 23 (93 hours in)

Another building, some abstract colored shapes, figures.

I need better lighting, especially with winter approaching.  I want another 5000K lamp on a tall stand.  I've been using a single angle-poise lamp, and it's not enough.  I presume I need it tall, and behind me, and to the left.  I don't have a shadow box, so I don't need such a precise setup.

SummerJulianna
  • @PaulB ; Holy Cow - I knew the size but this photo really puts it into perspective!  What a tremendous undertaking and you're doing a fabulous job.  I am very much enjoying your progress posts of "Paul's Cinque".  I also love it that you are enjoying it so much - being able to spend time oil painting is a gift.  I love your set up.
    PaulB
  • Julianna said:
    @PaulB ; Holy Cow - I knew the size but this photo really puts it into perspective!  What a tremendous undertaking and you're doing a fabulous job.  I am very much enjoying your progress posts of "Paul's Cinque".  I also love it that you are enjoying it so much - being able to spend time oil painting is a gift.  I love your set up.
    Thanks @Julianna.

Yes, it's 1,536 square inches of anxiety, and I've already done all the easy parts.  If my makeshift panel holder attachment gives out, it will drop like a guillotine on my feet.  When finished, it will be too big for any wall here, and won't fit in my car.

It's fun though, and probably the most colorful thing I'll ever paint - I've already needed Cadmium Red and Phthalo Blue.
    Julianna
  • I can't wait to use cad red, sounds delicious.

PaulB
  • It's not cadilac red Bob.. 
    PaulB
  • Day 24 (96 hours in)

Another building, some roofs, some canopies (not shown).  The drawing also got more detailed in the areas over on the far right, which is going to be next after the skyline is complete..

Painting tiny figures is hard.

Guy up on the guinea pig:

Angry couple on the Guinea pig:

Guy getting away from the crowd:

Locals mocking the tourists:  Hairstyle on left went a bit wild.

Nieanawiejrbgolfs
  • @PaulB , I love all the little details. I imagine when its finished you could look at it for hours and still find something new.
  • Nieanawie said:
    @PaulB , I love all the little details. I imagine when its finished you could look at it for hours and still find something new.
    Thank you, and yes, that's the hope.  Or alternately find more mistakes to fix...
  • edited September 2017
    It's looking great, @PaulB. Can you give us a cropped shot of the whole canvas so I can place all those little details.

This is going to be marvelous when finished.

• Where's Wally in Cinque Terre..
    I think you could put yourself in there somewhere, sipping a banana daiquiri under an umbrella 
    PaulB