Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

COMPLETED - Cinque Terre

Comments

• PaulBPaulB mod
    Renoir said:
    if it means taking any time away from your painting time
    Oh no, posting only takes a couple of minutes, and if anything, it cuts into my staring-out-the-window time, when I'm taking a break anyway.

This backfired on me.  I was just giving @BOB73 a hard time, because this is the third time he's suggested in this thread that I choose painting over posting.
    BOB73
  • I guess I was thinking of how long it would take ME to do all that picture taking and posting,  probably as long as you spend painting on a weekend if I could do it at all.
    PaulBRenoir
  • You do great work Paul and I admire your patience. I'd probably go blind trying to paint something like that. 
    PaulBalsart
  • I'm amazed.. how have you not lost your mind? :open_mouth:
    PaulBRenoir
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Richard_P said:
    I'm amazed.. how have you not lost your mind? :open_mouth:
    Who says I haven't?
    RenoirFiluren
  • Oh no! Have you still got both ears?? ;)
    PaulBRenoirFiluren
  • Incredible, just incredible.
    PaulB
  • I think I would have lost my mind and my ears by this stage. But keep at it @PaulB. Nearly there.  :)
    PaulB
  • I don’t know how you could bear to part with this after all your hard work. 
    It’s truly a masterpiece and would be a family heirloom . 

PaulBSummer
  • I already know what I'm going to say when you finally finish this and I'm contemplating saying it now because I'm afraid you will not be able to read or write when it is done. 
    PaulBRenoirSummer
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Hilary said:
    I don’t know how you could bear to part with this after all your hard work. 
    Thank you @Hilary, I appreciate that, but I see it a little differently.  This is my DMP #4, and it has been a wonderful training exercise, I've learned a lot, and tried a lot of different things with this painting.  But I'm more happy about now having a better approach, a better appreciation for light and value, and knowing a little more about what work I want to do in the future.  For me, that's the good part.  The actual painting has no home here, and I'd much rather see it go out into the world.

I'm looking forward to starting a new painting, after a little break.  The next one will be better, and definitely smaller.
    BOB73
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    BOB73 said:
    I already know what I'm going to say when you finally finish this and I'm contemplating saying it now because I'm afraid you will not be able to read or write when it is done. 
    Save it @BOB73, it's only two weeks away.
    Renoir
  • Each step is even more breathtaking than the previous one. Stunning!
    PaulB
  • PaulB said:
    Hilary said:
    I don’t know how you could bear to part with this after all your hard work. 
    Thank you @Hilary, I appreciate that, but I see it a little differently.  This is my DMP #4, and it has been a wonderful training exercise, I've learned a lot, and tried a lot of different things with this painting.  But I'm more happy about now having a better approach, a better appreciation for light and value, and knowing a little more about what work I want to do in the future.  For me, that's the good part.  The actual painting has no home here, and I'd much rather see it go out into the world.

I'm looking forward to starting a new painting, after a little break.  The next one will be better, and definitely smaller.
    You have a good attitude.  Stefan Baumann would agree with you whole heartedly!  This is the attitude he teaches his students.  For some of us, it is very hard to put into practice.  Summer 
    PaulB
  • Oh Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!    this is looking even more fantastic!!!  So exciting!
    PaulBFiluren
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    @movealonghome, I want to paint landscapes, because still life doesn't interest me all that much.  But I just have a couple of months to fill before I take my class.  I could probably spend the time finishing the unfinished.
    [Deleted User]
  • Where'd all the critters come from?
    [Deleted User]PaulBRenoirBOB73
  • What? life still doesn't interest you? I was afraid something like this would happen to you. Call 911 and get a crisis hotline counselor on.
    PaulB
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    9 days left.  No problem.

The 14 boats in the lower left of the picture are complete, and are the ones that are half covered in grass, so I need those to be dry before the final grass goes in.  They don't have an awful lot of detail, and I'm relying on the grass covering up the sins.  Some of the grass work begins tomorrow.  Harbor surface work starts now, with very thin paint.

I'm finding the boats very difficult, and I can only paint about 5 of them in an evening.  I think it's because they are tiny, but being foreground items, they need detail, which takes time, because they are just a jumble of brightly colored shapes, and some of those lines need to be right.  The colors also have very few opportunities for reuse.  So in an evening, I do 5 boats, then the palette needs to be cleaned.

All the thick paint is done, the result of careful planning, so it has more time to dry.  I'll need to jack up the painting about an inch in the easel to expose the very bottom, so I can paint the grass.  I have a piece of wood ready for that.

29 boats are incomplete (I count the yellow kayaks as 1), and I know from prior boat-work that they won't come alive until I put the dark shadows beneath them, and surface ripples all around.  Faith in the process.

There are about 20 square inches of detail work remaining, and almost no white panel showing through.  The remaining figures and ground details are quite quick and fun to do. I'll do those last, and also, I don't really care if I add them all.  I'm not looking to paint crowds, but about another 40 figures or so would be good.

Something else I need to do is fuss around with a dark glaze, to add little shadows and texture here and there.  That's quite enjoyable, it's like adding the final highlights to the eyes, and it creates depth out of nothing.

It doesn't matter if it's sticky/wet in 9 days (it will be), but it has additional 19 days before I need to handle it and deliver it.  I'm hoping that's enough to get touch dry plus a single thin coat of gloss retouch varnish, which I know dries overnight, but I'll give that a few days to firm up.  Luckily the weather is getting warm, which will help.

The frame is almost ready, I have a nameplate for the front, I have now gathered all the info for the back of it.  Must remember to sign it.  Back to work.
    BoudiccaJuliannaFilurenRenoir
  • @PaulB ;  Remember that some easels are like pets--they just jump on you!  Summer
    PaulBBOB73Renoir
  • @PaulB ; I just had a sobering thought. What if this is such a success, you receive requests to do something like it again and again and again.  Are you ready for that???  I'm thinking the world would be a better place if you agreed.  The boats in the harbor clinched it for me!  I think this is your calling.  Summer
    PaulBBOB73RenoirIrishcajun
  • PaulB

Might be a good idea to start using Liquin Fine Detail to speed your drying and completion.

Denis

PaulBFilurenBOB73
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Thank you @dencal, I agree.  I started introducing Liquin a week ago, and the whole thing is shiny with it now, and the room stinks.  All my glazing is Liquin also.

Liquin is also forcing me to clean the palette every day, because it dries.
  • The boats are terrific. You seem to have such a steady hand for doing those highlighted curves! :)
    PaulB
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Thanks @Richard_P.  Those curves are a rigger brush specialty.
  • When I try it doesn't look so.. graceful. Mind you after your 10,000 hours I'm sure you've got a bit better than me ;)
    PaulB
  • Has anyone else  spotted the nudists yet?
    PaulBRenoir
  • I'm just shocked to know I was surrounded by vampires, while in that town.  None of the humans, if they are really humans, is casting a shadow. ;)

As far as the nudists, there were a few topless individuals of the female variety on the beach and the rocks, but after seeing most of them, you needed emergency eye wash and a delete button for your brain!
    FilurenPaulB
  • It is a wonderful painting! A real adventure!  Reminds me of Brueghels (the younger) Tower of Babylon which has the same amount of details. Your sense of the waters color and reflections are just amazing and I said before; I can just gaze away!
    PaulBRenoir
  • The water surface...Wow! O.O
    PaulBdencalRenoir
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    @WIKEN, thank you!  You've discovered something I forgot.  I was going to add in shadows using a glaze, but I guess I didn't do it.  I'll get on it...
    Renoir
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Filuren said:
    our sense of the waters color and reflections are just amazing and I said before; I can just gaze away!
    Thank you @Filuren, I'd love to take some credit for this, but I'm just copying a scene and checking colors.  I didn't even realize the harbor contained reflections of the buildings until someone pointed it out.  It's the power of color checking.
    Filuren
  • BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    take deep breaths, rest well, eat well, dream well.  You're doing awesome!
    PaulBFiluren
  • Your water is becoming 3 dimensional. I would become demented trying to paint it.
    PaulB
  • Oh my god the boats, detail, water, shadow, the depth.... I'm actually getting misty eyed with this incredible depth and detail.  This has opened my eyes to see how a painting is 'built' and an even better appreciation of the skill involved.
    PaulB
  • Not to mention the actual WORK eh, @Renoir ?

Renoir
  • @BOB73 oh my gosh, yes! It really does require a very unique type of person to even be able to do a project of this magnitude and then to do it well! I'm so glad Paul has happily shared his journey with us.
  • Wow!!!!!!!! I don't what exactly will happen at the show but something will happen for sure..this painting is impossible to be ignored.
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Thank you everyone, the encouragement has been essential.  Just a few days left now.  My evenings and elbows are full of paint, it's fun.  Especially at this stage.

WIKEN said:
    Squisito!!
    Gezundheit.

Julianna said:
    ... take deep breaths ...
    Already high on clove oil.

BOB73 said:
    ... become demented trying to paint it.
    Yep, that's the effect it's having.

Renoir said:
    ... misty eyed ...
    Same here, I think it's eyestrain.  :)

... show up at the show opening ...
    Thanks.  All I need is a homesick italian with a checkbook.

Renoir said:
    ... project of this magnitude ...
    It just takes someone who is afraid to cut a composite panel into a smaller piece.

Bobitaly said:
    I don't what exactly will happen at the show ...
    Me neither.  I might even attend.
    Renoir
  • @PaulB I don't want to put pressure on you so I will not insist to go anyway, u know better than anyone if u are able to go this time or not, but if it's not now it's later...my comment will be true anyway :)
    PaulB
  • I like the water in the new one more :)
    PaulB
  • OHHHH MYYY ......... many expletives said with a sharp breath...as I'm not around a lot it has taken some time to read the fullness of this thread...and talk about "WORTH IT"... that last post of the full painting made me swear out loud !!!..only with slow looking could I tell it isn't a photo...better than a photo...richer, deeper, more real...with feelings...I hope this piece is deeply appreciated at your show...
    RenoirBOB73Filuren