Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

WIP - Cinque Terre

18910111214»

Comments

• Spilt/spit coffee on my tax return laughing.
    Boudicca
  • this thread is getting even more amazing. LOL Love this group! Go PAUL!! Here's my contribution. I am sure you can all hear the appropriate voice. 
    PaulBBoudiccaRenoir
  • Thanks for the support folks.  @Boudicca and @JessicaArt that's hilarious.

I'm cruising along now, and here comes another full weekend with no plans other than getting my elbows wet.  I'm hoping to make a major dent in all this remaining white area.  In the bottom left third, I'm ready to start adding in all those foreground grasses and leaves.  Black is the area that I will not be revisiting again = done.

Meanwhile, the boats are being painted, and I've only just begun really, but it is really testing my faith in the method.  Without details, subtlety or water surface ripples, this looks terrible.

I'll be trying to turn this pig's ear into a silk purse.
    SummerBOB73Renoir
  • Your control over colour is amazing. Go Paul go!!
    PaulB
  • Don't feel bad about taking a year, I jut about have one of those on my easel. I have been pretty slow this year trying to significantly improve my technique, which is going slow. But what you have accomplished so far is great! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

PaulB
  • PaulB said:

I'll be trying to turn this pig's ear into a silk purse.
    Nice cats! :)

;)
    PaulB
  • have faith! I am sure it will work out. Cant wait to see these progress. 

PaulB
  • remind me of paddle boards - 
    PaulB
  • Good Luck to you!!!
    PaulB
  • Absolutely breathtaking Paul! Simply stunning! I am so excited for you that you are going to make it on time, as you had some worries you wouldn't,  and it's all coming together so well. Thank you so very much for sharing your progress on this masterpiece. Your natural disposition for planning, accuracy, and precision renders this project perfect! Because no one else has the temperment to stay the course!

PaulBFilurenBOB73
  • Would still love to know where this masterpiece will end up. Hopefully where gazillions of people will get to feast their eyes on it and marvel at the incredible detail.
    You can ‘go for a long walk ‘ in this painting 
    FilurenRenoir
  • Hilary said:
    Would still love to know where this masterpiece will end up. Hopefully where gazillions of people will get to feast their eyes on it and marvel at the incredible detail.
    @Hilary, I'm not sure that I'll find out where.  With luck it will sell.
    Renoir
  • Day 169 (655 hours).

34 figures completed,  13 boats completed.  The frame is being constructed.  Varnish tested on other paintings.  Today I'll be adding more colored shapes onto boats (but not details yet), and working on that church tower and the buildings to the left of it.

2018-04-08:

2018-04-15:

15 days remaining, including two full weekends, and no slack in the schedule.  The deadline is for photography, there are an additional nineteen days for tweaking, drying and retouch varnishing.  Back to work.

jarubeBoudiccaRenoirBOB73
  • Just keeps getting better and better, and I'm certain you'll make the deadline. I'm sure you've done the maths, but this averages nearly 4hrs per day over the 169 days. I am in awe.
    PaulBRenoir
  • Just phenomenal!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing this journey with us, @PaulB.
    PaulB
  • Keep going and don't worry about giving us updates.
  • BOB73 said:
    Keep going and don't worry about giving us updates.
    @BOB73, it takes two minutes to write a post and include photos I already take every day.  It's a nice short break.

Or do you instead mean you're tired of seeing updates?
  • You know better than that @PaulB ; This is 14 pages long and I've enjoyed every word and image. We all have learned a lot from this experience. When I log in, I look first to see if this thread has had recent comments/updates. Then I look for your blog.
    RenoirPaulB
  • 4 hours a day? Man that's a lot to keep up. I imagine a lot of pro painters don't even workthat much
  • PaulB said:
    BOB73 said:
    Keep going and don't worry about giving us updates.
    @BOB73, it takes two minutes to write a post and include photos I already take every day.  It's a nice short break.

Or do you instead mean you're tired of seeing updates?

Oh quite the contrary, we all want you to successfully complete this painting, we love your updates, but don't worry about posting for us it if means taking any time away from your painting time :-)  This is great! and you're in the homestretch!
    BobitalyPaulB
  • 4 hours a day? Man that's a lot to keep up. I imagine a lot of pro painters don't even workthat much
    It's under 4 as an average.  One or two longs days on the weekend, then a couple of hours in the week.  It's not that gruelling.  Yet.
  • Renoir said:
    if it means taking any time away from your painting time
    Oh no, posting only takes a couple of minutes, and if anything, it cuts into my staring-out-the-window time, when I'm taking a break anyway.

This backfired on me.  I was just giving @BOB73 a hard time, because this is the third time he's suggested in this thread that I choose painting over posting.
    BOB73
  • I guess I was thinking of how long it would take ME to do all that picture taking and posting,  probably as long as you spend painting on a weekend if I could do it at all.
    PaulBRenoir
  • You do great work Paul and I admire your patience. I'd probably go blind trying to paint something like that. 
    PaulBalsart
  • I'm amazed.. how have you not lost your mind? :open_mouth:
    PaulBRenoir
  • Richard_P said:
    I'm amazed.. how have you not lost your mind? :open_mouth:
    Who says I haven't?
    Renoir
  • Oh no! Have you still got both ears?? ;)
    PaulBRenoir
  • Incredible, just incredible.
    PaulB
  • I think I would have lost my mind and my ears by this stage. But keep at it @PaulB. Nearly there.  :)
    PaulB
  • I don’t know how you could bear to part with this after all your hard work. 
    It’s truly a masterpiece and would be a family heirloom . 

PaulBSummer
  • I already know what I'm going to say when you finally finish this and I'm contemplating saying it now because I'm afraid you will not be able to read or write when it is done. 
    PaulBRenoirSummer
  • Hilary said:
    I don’t know how you could bear to part with this after all your hard work. 
    Thank you @Hilary, I appreciate that, but I see it a little differently.  This is my DMP #4, and it has been a wonderful training exercise, I've learned a lot, and tried a lot of different things with this painting.  But I'm more happy about now having a better approach, a better appreciation for light and value, and knowing a little more about what work I want to do in the future.  For me, that's the good part.  The actual painting has no home here, and I'd much rather see it go out into the world.

I'm looking forward to starting a new painting, after a little break.  The next one will be better, and definitely smaller.
    BOB73
  • BOB73 said:
    I already know what I'm going to say when you finally finish this and I'm contemplating saying it now because I'm afraid you will not be able to read or write when it is done. 
    Save it @BOB73, it's only two weeks away.
    Renoir
  • Each step is even more breathtaking than the previous one. Stunning!
    PaulB
  • PaulB said:
    Hilary said:
    I don’t know how you could bear to part with this after all your hard work. 
    Thank you @Hilary, I appreciate that, but I see it a little differently.  This is my DMP #4, and it has been a wonderful training exercise, I've learned a lot, and tried a lot of different things with this painting.  But I'm more happy about now having a better approach, a better appreciation for light and value, and knowing a little more about what work I want to do in the future.  For me, that's the good part.  The actual painting has no home here, and I'd much rather see it go out into the world.

I'm looking forward to starting a new painting, after a little break.  The next one will be better, and definitely smaller.
    You have a good attitude.  Stefan Baumann would agree with you whole heartedly!  This is the attitude he teaches his students.  For some of us, it is very hard to put into practice.  Summer 
    PaulB
  • Oh Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!    this is looking even more fantastic!!!  So exciting!
    PaulB
  • What are you hoping to focus on or learn next? I'm thinking of setting up a shadow box for still lifes. I think doing a bunch of that is a good way to gaurantee I will learn lots with my next series of paintings as well as do something very different
    PaulB
  • @movealonghome, I want to paint landscapes, because still life doesn't interest me all that much.  But I just have a couple of months to fill before I take my class.  I could probably spend the time finishing the unfinished.
    movealonghome
  • Where'd all the critters come from?
    movealonghomePaulBRenoir