Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Mike Derby Portrait Blog

14567810»

Comments

• MikeDerby

What about using an additive to the alkyd stain? Clear gesso, marble dust, Art Spectrum Clear Coloufix.

Denis

• Thank you @dencal and @Forgiveness .  I bought this paper as a lark to use for sketches and experiments and was hoping it would be less work to prepare.  Additives are a good idea and I will look into that canvas book.
  • I have not been painting lately.  I have a crazy schedule and quarter end was hard this time.  I did spend some time correcting errors and applying some suggestions to the family painting, which looks a little better each time I refine it.  Maybe by next year it will be presentable.  :)
    I have been watching videos of course and one of the series I really like is the Tom Keating on Painters show that ran in the early 80's.  He used a word which seems to describe an intangible I have been thinking about a lot lately.  "Prismatic."
    Last year I was experimenting with marble dust and still use it.  I used the fine grit on one painting and thought it was too coarse.  But when I painted over it the result just seemed to have a little something extra.  It was no better painted than anything else I could do at the time, but it read better and was pleasing in a way I could not describe. I have noticed the same thing about paintings where I purposely added texture to the surface. I think the little specs of marble dust and the texture made it prismatic in a subtle way that the eye and brain can process without our conscience awareness.
    You probably already knew all of this but it has taken me awhile to catch on.  I used to try so hard to keep things flat and smooth so the photos would be good and absent glare.  I have dropped that approach.
    I hope you are all doing well and pushing brushes.
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited October 11
    MikeDerby said:
    I think the little specs of marble dust and the texture made it prismatic in a subtle way that the eye and brain can process without our conscience awareness.
    Is this effect something like adding a very fine "glittery" result?  The same way mica in stone looks?  Does it show up on photographs?

MikeDerby said:
    I hope you are all doing well and pushing brushes.
    No sir, we pull them.  They last longer.  :)
  • I was worried you might have been caught up with the floods of Florence. I'm glad to see you back. I can't wait to try the marble dust.
  • @paulb its not glittery but it bends the light, thats my only guess.  The paint texture does show on photos but the dust generally does not.  Funny but we work so hard to paint it well and most of the charm is lost to a digital image.
    My brushes get a lot of abuse.  push pull twist twirl jab dab and etc.  I am trying to make things happen so no rules.  I do buy a lot of brushes.
    @Bob73 we are in the middle of our second hurricane in a month.  The last one dropped 12 inches in 48 hours.  My neice got 33 inches.  This one came in like a lion and went out like a lamb.
    I hope you get to paint something soon.
  • Makes you appreciate living on a hill even if it's a little one like mine.
  • Stay safe Mike! Hope you get back into painting soon :)
  • Hope there's no damage at your place, @MikeDerby. Stay safe.  :)
  • Thanks Rob. We are fine but many others were hit pretty hard.  Down east North Carolina had a lot of flooding and now the Florida pan handle is a shambles.  It was just wind and rain for the rest of us.
  • David Grey recently posted a recommendation on Instagram of Anthraquinone Red (say that 3 times real fast  :)) because it is the same color and transparency as alizarin crimson but is more permanent.  M Graham offers it with a lightfastness of 1.  I tested it against W&N alizarin and it looks the same to me.
    I thought any of you that love alizarin crimson as much as i do would be interested to know.  I also wonder if any of you have any idea what anthraquinone is .....
  • SummerSummer -
    edited October 15
    ann thra key/qweh known    ann thra key/qweh known    ann thra key/qweh known--haha  A Google search yielded that it's a yellow powder or crystaline compound used to make natural and synthetic dyes.  I think Gamblin uses it in their watercolor paint.  Anthracene is oxidated to make anthraquinone.  Different qualities are made.  World market. 
  • Tischler talks about Quinacridone Magenta.  I think @CJD has some...
  • anthraquinone sounds like a medication that works equally well on anthrax and malaria but not both at the same time. The pills are red but if you're not sick, you can grind the pills into powder, mix in some linseed oil then paint with it. That's what Cro-Magnon people did with berries and other plants that weren't good for medicine or food.