Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Forgiveness - Outdoor Painting Blog (New Pochade Box, DIY, Scrap Pieces Wood, All By Hand)

I made this pochade box myself from scrap pieces of wood, no electric tools were used. The easel part (the top) was inspired by Jim Serret, plein air painter, how to make your own. This is a "standard" size box, measures 12" x 16", 2 1/2" deep (box). The tray on the side (brush holder) measures 11"x 4 1/2". The mixing palette is made of clear plexi glass with the adhesive paper protective still on the back (the largest piece I had) measures 15 1/8" x 10 7/8" x 1/8" thick. The box weighs 2lbs, made from 3/8" Maple plywood for the sides for top and bottom including the dividers. The top and bottom panels are made of Laune. I was also inspired by @Kaustav and his posts. In the very beginning this appeared impossible, out of reach for me, but as I looked around more carefully at what  I had on hand, which is not much at all but I am skilled, everything started to come together ridiculously easy yet very unexpected. The only things I needed to purchase were the brass hinges on the back (not shown), the finish (Spar Urethane, quick dry, indoor/outdoor) for it with brushes for the job, bungee cords, just enough of everything nothing more at all. It is built for outdoor use, to handle Canadian weather, is harsh on things. The handle has enough room to be wearing a pair of gloves/mittens to carry when cold. I have the freedom to paint sketches/paintings measuring from 5" x 7" (horizontal) up to 12" x 16" , on both horizontal/vertical. This will sit on my lap most often, I need a strap to put around my waist and attach to box to better secure while painting and resist weather (winds). Need a stool and new supply of paint and to mess up this box some by using it. Thanks for looking, enjoy!....now back to painting!
PaulBdencalSummerBoudiccaKaustavRichard_PBOB73IrishcajunWeatherfordjswartzartVeronicaBancroft414

Comments

• PaulBPaulB -
    edited June 29
    What, no coffee cup holder?

@Forgiveness, this is incredible work.  You made all that?  Superb.  I'm seeing features that I've been reading about in very expensive commercial boxes.  Not one item there looks like "scrap".  You could sell these.

Now I'm looking forward to your plein air paintings.  And of course, the sushi that you will make.
    ForgivenessBancroft414
  • edited June 29
                              Thanks @PaulB, but I'm not equipped to take on producing these unfortunately, may make another smaller box later. I most often worked on floor space I could find quite similar to the artisan in these photos. Working with wood and oil painting in same room don't go so well, have quite the clean up now before anything else. This is a fortunate single occasion. Before oil painting I was also making fun little musical instruments now retired.
    Kaustav
  • Forgiveness 

Beautiful work. Suggest you adjust the lid to vertical to avoid sky glare.

Denis

ForgivenessKaustav
  • edited June 29
    I thought that may be a challenge, will make the adjustment. thank you Denis.
  • Words are failing me here, but I am so impressed with what you made and the story that goes with it.  :)
    Forgiveness
  • Beautifully built! Will get back to it when free. If you are using mediums then keep it in bottles like these. it is easier. However, once the basic paint layer is in then there is no need for mediums.

10pcs-10ml-Squeezable-Empty-Eye-Dropper-Bottle-Lab-Plastic-Screw-Cap-Lids
    Forgiveness
  • These hooks are great, come in all sizes, perfect for any budget. Used for hooking extras on the side of the box.
    PaulBKaustav
  • The paint I've been planning to use are W&N prepared DMP stored in 35mm film canisters, 2'' tall. The bottles above will be good for medium also prepared DMP and brush dip.
    Kaustav
  • Have you built a wet panel carrier? What if you attach it to your box (above or below)?
  • Been thinking this for a while but really undecided, underneath seems easy enough to manage, got just the right stuff come to think of it. I think I just got it! Thanks.
  • This is amazing work! I'm really impressed.. :open_mouth:
    Forgiveness
  • Thank you, much appreciated @Richard_P.

• edited June 29
    Been thinking this for a while but really undecided, underneath seems easy enough to manage, got just the right stuff come to think of it. I think I just got it! Thanks.
    Study Sienna's big one and Alla Prima boxes for wet panels. They are suitable to your design for wet panel carrier.

Anyway, here are some of the good designs that you can attach underneath your box.

Sienna Wet Panel Box and Sienna Plein Air All in One box (panel carrier underneath)Image result for sienna pochade box wet panelSienna Plein Air All in One Pochade Box

Forgiveness
  • Forgiveness

Use Caribiners on the side of the box.  Find the spring loaded versions. You won't lose stuff.

Clockwise from top left: D-shaped wire gate, D-shaped straight gate, Oval straight gate, Pear-shaped auto-locker, D-shaped screw-locker. Center is a standard carabiner rating.

Denis

Forgiveness
  • @Forgiveness, you are a true craftsman. That is a beautiful piece of design and construction
    ForgivenessBOB73
  • edited June 29
    @Kaustav, I think I can work out a version of Sienna Plein Air All In One model, with the panel carrier underneath for 4 wet panels for 8" x 10" and 10" x 12" as where 12" x 16" would need a much larger box as a separate carrier. At this moment I don't have plans for such a large size except maybe on my property at home.
  • Jerrys artarama has some very simple ones (not enclosed though) but easy to make if you have more know-how than materials. Carry 4 differnt size panels at a time. Again these would be for fair weather.

Forgiveness
  • @Kaustav, I think I can work out a version of Sienna Plein Air All In One model, with the panel carrier underneath for 4 wet panels for 8" x 10" and 10" x 12" as where 12" x 16" would need a much larger box as a separate carrier. At this moment I don't have plans for such a large size except maybe on my property at home.
    I think so too. The moment I saw your box, I thought of Sienna all in one design.

You need to think about how many paintings you can do in a day. If it is not more than two, then there is no need for slots more than two. Three is general. Don't go for too many sizes; maybe one underneath box for 10X12 and inside it can hold an 8X10 also. U need to create an 'L' kinda thing.

Since you are making all the stuff, put a tripod hole inside and 12X16 box for six panels in advance.
    Forgiveness
  • @Forgiveness BTW what is it made of? Birch ply?
  • edited June 30
    This box is made of; 3/8" maple plywood used for the sides for the top and bottom, including the dividers. Laune was used for the top and bottom. I'm thinking 2 slots underneath 1 each for the 2 smaller sizes as above, but no way of enclosing at this moment. I can store one painting leaving it attached the top with bungee cord and close the lid. And yes, a separate new box for the larger size. The tripod hole has been a little more of a challenge, have to go out of my way for another hardware store to get all I need. I have a good set up for this part.
    Kaustav
  • Really nice work on that box...you clearly have some woodworking/design skills.

Forgiveness
  • edited July 6
    I replaced plexi-glass palette with a new palette I made of "birch ply" which now fits snug. I didn't include a thumb hole at this time, don't think it's needed for me. Also straightened the angle of easel to avoid sky glare. Now in process of building the "wet panel carrier" for 2 wet paintings (for 8" x 10" & 10" x 12") that will attach to the bottom of this box and then fit it for tripod mounting within 2 weeks. I can't use it until I am finished and Summer here is going, going..... gone before you know it, and I'm almost there! LOL! A separate larger box will be built to carry 12" x 16" panels a little later.
    dencalKaustavmjkeaney
  • @Forgiveness wood is good.  :) I love wooden palettes. Although it hardly matters in terms of painting. My small thumb box has a plastic sheet pasted on top of hard cardboard. But it works well and I can flex it a little. Oil this palette well. its nice have a good wood like that!
    Forgiveness
  • edited July 6
    It is rare to find birch ply like this, just acquired yesterday, I took advantage and I have 7 panels 15 1/2" x 17" left over at this time. Wood is very difficult to work with now because of heat and high humidity, my new box is holding very well! Harmony in craftsmanship works well in woodworking as well as in oil painting.
  • edited July 22
     This oil sketch (incomplete) 9" x 12", gessoed + stained watercolor paper, I painted on Friday morning, my 2nd time out, having a good experience, much support around me. Was at this site for 2 hours, including a little social with wonderful kind folks. This spot was very special, all around extremely hot and humid no relief, but this spot had natural air conditioning for the entire time, hot by the time I was finished. Looking at the 2 top photos, observe how the light in the background has changed!
    BoudiccadencalPaulBKaustav
  • Looks like a nice place. The box turned out real well and the painting reflects the enjoyment you're getting from the outings. Enjoy the heat. Before you know it, it will be too cold to sit out there for two hours.
    ForgivenessBancroft414
  • Thank you for sharing this journey with us!!
    Forgiveness
  • Nice start. Good that you have gone out! Its good that you started with center of focus. It is easier to do that way. You can ignore the rest of the sections.
    BOB73Forgiveness
  • edited July 31
    This is what I have done to this sketch, although quite a terrible photo of it, yet still an attractive scene, and added 3 figures. This may have taken me 45:00 mins. max to complete. If I really wanted to, I could go all out to full oil painting in realism with this. The earlier photo (on the pochade box) is truer in color in comparison, much like in my studio, where this photo is washed out and missing out on the true bright greens. Been raining here for few days, but very beautiful weekend to get outdoors once again now, looking forward. If I can manage a better photo, I will replace this one. Enjoy!
    SummerKaustav
  • edited July 29
    I like getting outdoors, my only hesitations are the weather and my supply of paint is just about run out, and have a portrait in the works to be completed soon, managing in a tight position. I plan to carry on with painting and enjoy until no more paint and find a way to replace.
  • I'm of the belief that painting is good for the soul and also that figures, even a single figure, is a beneficial addition to almost any scene especially landscapes. Good work on the latest scene, @Forgiveness. I hope your outings bring you enough happiness to make up for the other unhappy times life brings your way.
    Forgiveness
  • @Forgiveness if you have less time, then I would suggest you reduce the size of your painting. You are painting on paper, so it shouldn't be a problem. It needs some eye and thought process adjustments when you are outdoors. Size shouldn't be a time killing factor at least initially. worrying about time hampers the viewing process (I learnt it the hard way). When you are more comfortable, your seeing and executing quickly then move to larger sheets or larger canvases.
    Forgiveness
  • Now I got your name. Robillard is it?
    Forgiveness
  • edited July 31
    @Kaustav, yes that's my name. I will try smaller size sketch. I went out on Saturday didn't complete anything, pleasant experience. The light changing so quickly here now and losing fast already, I see changes within and every 10:00 mins., this is in early evening. I noticed that local landscape here, everywhere there are common basic colors to be found and I am not a "formula making" kind of artist per say, and I am inclined to prepare in my studio some of these basic colors. Same variety of; greens, 3 or 4 on average, blue sky, water, tree trunks, and rocks are pretty much the same. If I had 3 or 4 values of these only, to begin with, this would save me a lot time. From here I would spend a little less time mixing on the spot for a little more time to observe, while recognizing what mixing is important/necessary and getting right down to capturing a sketch. I remain quite encouraged to continue on, I hope to purchase myself a proper stool this week, these park benches and hard surfaces, a little much, LOL!
    Kaustav
  • Wow! I'm so envious of people who have the skill to do this kind of work on their own! What a beautiful finished product! 
    Forgiveness
  • This is a much better photo, enjoy!
    KaustavRoxy