Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Color mixing is not easy

There are colors that I find difficult to mix.  Or describe ("a 2x4 under harsh sunlight reflecting off the neighbor's pale blue house").  Here is an example, I started at the bottom, and 15 steps later I gave up and used what I had.  I should have stopped at step 9.  Then I realized the wood changed color as I was moving up.

Part of the problem is that I'm trying to match a dithered color on an 11" x 17" print, and its not easy.  I was going through the six questions, but ...

What do you do when the 6 questions fail you?  One answer would be to just get the value right and go for it, which is what I think I did.  Got a better suggestion?

Comments

• to avoid comparing your solid paint to a dithered image try putting some distance between you and the reference  and compare with a color checker or that type method.

anweshaRoxy
  • @BOB73 That's a good idea - the color checker would work here.
    rautchetan
  • Given that edge's relative uniformity I would aim to just pre-mix one pool of paint that captures the average colour and value for that section (pretty much where you ended up with your your #9), and then just adjust that slightly as you paint (a touch darker at the bottom, a touch lighter at elsewhere).
    PaulB