Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Wood panel options

I have a couple of wood panel paintings that are destined to go on the wall in my home, the others having a more grisly fate.  I have a part of a wall where I intend to show my stuff, one painting at a time.

I enjoy using wood panels, but the edges look terrible.  How should I deal with this?  I could go in afterwards and paint the edges a solid color, or use a suitably-sized frame.  A floating frame would seem to also require edge painting.

Can anyone suggest options?

Comments

• Adequately sized framing is a good option fora dry painting . Most of the plein air paintings have some are left unpainted due to the panel holders.
    PaulB
  • a well-finished shadow box slightly larger than the panel. This is similar to a floating frame effect but they are actually two separate pieces that can be used interchangeably with other panels close in size. 
    ForgivenessPaulB
  • Thanks @Kaustav, I see examples of that now - a close-fitting frame covers the sides.

Thanks @BOB73, never heard of a shadow box frame.  Looks like a deep floating frame.

I shall go investigate these, thanks guys.
  • I very often paint on 1/4" Baltic birch panels that I cut myself to the sizes I want. Most are put into frames I purchase online, but have put a few into shadow box frames and the edges are sanded and painted black to match the background of the shadow box.
    PaulBForgiveness
  • DGM 
    ...  the edges are sanded and painted black to match the background of the shadow box.
    That seems like an important step.  Thank you.
    Forgiveness
  • I have been witness to the above most often, painting the edges black (flat black) for a floating or shadow box frames. I used to work in framing business.
    KaustavJuliannaPaulB
  • I only paint on wood panels now.  I just don't like canvas...never really did.

I paint on birch ply and including the brace, its about 1" in total.

I paint the edges black and drop them into a floater frame that I purchase when I buy the boards.

Very simple, very clean look...and decent price ( whatever that means)
    PaulB
  • I only paint on wood panels now.  I just don't like canvas...never really did.
    Me too.  I bought a hundred panels of various sizes (6" x 6" to 12" x 12").  I like the grain and the feel, and the fact that it doesn't "give" when I put a brush on it.  76 remaining...