Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Wood panel options

I have a couple of wood panel paintings that are destined to go on the wall in my home, the others having a more grisly fate.  I have a part of a wall where I intend to show my stuff, one painting at a time.

I enjoy using wood panels, but the edges look terrible.  How should I deal with this?  I could go in afterwards and paint the edges a solid color, or use a suitably-sized frame.  A floating frame would seem to also require edge painting.

Can anyone suggest options?

• Adequately sized framing is a good option fora dry painting . Most of the plein air paintings have some are left unpainted due to the panel holders.
  • a well-finished shadow box slightly larger than the panel. This is similar to a floating frame effect but they are actually two separate pieces that can be used interchangeably with other panels close in size. 
  • Thanks @Kaustav, I see examples of that now - a close-fitting frame covers the sides.

Thanks @BOB73, never heard of a shadow box frame.  Looks like a deep floating frame.

I shall go investigate these, thanks guys.
  • I very often paint on 1/4" Baltic birch panels that I cut myself to the sizes I want. Most are put into frames I purchase online, but have put a few into shadow box frames and the edges are sanded and painted black to match the background of the shadow box.
  • DGM 
    ...  the edges are sanded and painted black to match the background of the shadow box.
    That seems like an important step.  Thank you.
  • I have been witness to the above most often, painting the edges black (flat black) for a floating or shadow box frames. I used to work in framing business.
  • I only paint on wood panels now.  I just don't like canvas...never really did.
    Me too.  I bought a hundred panels of various sizes (6" x 6" to 12" x 12").  I like the grain and the feel, and the fact that it doesn't "give" when I put a brush on it.  76 remaining...