Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Some oil flowed from the oil paintings

Some oil flowed from my oil paintings. Why?
I feel terrible... :'(

Comments

• @sunshine793 this can happen.  I've had my palette where oil just seeps out of the dollops of paint.  This might be related to my not properly shaking up the paint tubes first.

@MikeDerby also mentions the oil flowing in his (if I recall) Austin Blog post, where he mentions that the trick is to let the palette sit out for a day or so to slightly thicken up the paint.
    SummerBOB73jswartzart
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 16
    @sunshine793 ; As well as the good advice from @PaulB above:  If it seeps from the puddles, I re-mix them.  I adjust the temperature in the room if it is caused by heat.  I apply less paint to the canvas than I do with other brands.  All this has helped me.  Summer 
    PaulBBOB73
  • dencaldencal -
    edited June 16
    sunshine793

Squeeze the paint on to some absorbent paper prior to transfer to your palette.

On completion of each painting session lay the painting flat. It should remain in this position for at least a week or until touch dry.

You may, in a chronic situation, have to add some neutral absorbent filler such as calcium carbonate to soak up the excess oil.

Denis
    PaulBSummerBOB73
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 16
    @sunshine793 ; Something else has come to mind.  If you lay your painting flat, you will have to do something to control the dust.  I have covered wet canvases with very large but lightweight laundry baskets, the kind that have holes in the sides.  I put the canvasses on top of the washer and dryer in a well ventilated laundry room, and it works perfectly,  Large cardboard boxes with holes in the sides have also worked.   Summer

• Thanks, @Mark_Carder, it's nice to know you are keeping an eye out for us. We know how busy you are and appreciate all you do for us.
    Summer
  • PaulB said:
    @sunshine793 this can happen.  I've had my palette where oil just seeps out of the dollops of paint.  This might be related to my not properly shaking up the paint tubes first.

@MikeDerby also mentions the oil flowing in his (if I recall) Austin Blog post, where he mentions that the trick is to let the palette sit out for a day or so to slightly thicken up the paint.

Oh, thank you for your advice!
  • Summer said:
    @sunshine793 ; As well as the good advice from @PaulB above:  If it seeps from the puddles, I re-mix them.  I adjust the temperature in the room if it is caused by heat.  I apply less paint to the canvas than I do with other brands.  All this has helped me.  Summer
    I see. Thank you for teaching me so much! =)
  • dencal said:
    sunshine793

Squeeze the paint on to some absorbent paper prior to transfer to your palette.

On completion of each painting session lay the painting flat. It should remain in this position for at least a week or until touch dry.

You may, in a chronic situation, have to add some neutral absorbent filler such as calcium carbonate to soak up the excess oil.

Denis
    OK.I Will try to do better next time. Thank you!
  • We have added more leveling to our paint (stand linseed oil), which has allowed us to thicken our consistency quite a bit.  Do shake tubes before opening.  Also keep in mind that Geneva paints are not formulated to paint thickly (impasto - ish), but rather were made for a more traditional level paint film.  Very thick strokes that protrude from the canvas are not recommended.  However our newest formula should perform better in this regard.

Thank you! I will pay more attention and try to do better next time! =)
  • For the record, i love geneva paint and use them almost exclusively on every painting.  The vibrant color i get in a finished work is exactly what i want.  I can mix anything far more easily with it than with anything else i have tried, and i have tried them all.  I am glad Mark has made this minor adjustment.  The error i made was putting too much new paint straight from the tube on my canvas.
    BOB73Weatherford