Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Two New Colors from Geneva Fine Art - now available

Comments

• Good to see!

I expected the Phthalo Blue to be cheaper as it's such an extremely strong pigment. At this price I guess it has no fillers or more oils added, so you only need a tiny bit then?

I did have one idea about the pure black - I understand it's mixed from burnt umber and ultramarine and if it's used for the darkest values (with white and yellow added to lighten), then I think what might work better is Iron Oxide Black (Mars Black). This is extremely opaque in comparison to the mixed black which can be a problem with the thin nature of Geneva paints.

• Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    edited June 11
    We use no fillers, so the phthalo is very potent!  But that just means you need less of it to get the desired color.

On the black, I like the mixing properties of the burnt umber French ultramarine mixed black.  The Mars and ivory blacks both tend to gray up colors to easily - sort like power gray.  Our newest formula of paint has more leveling in it (from stand oil), so it covers the canvas much easier.
    rautchetan
  • If you use Mars black just for the darkest steps though rather than to darken as you would with brown or blue, does it step result in greyed out colours?
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    The issue is not the color that can be mixed.  You may have two colors that look exactly the same in pure form, one mixed with mars or ivory black, and one made with burnt umber and French ultramarine.  They may look exactly the same.  But then if you blend in another lighter color into one of the those colors, the resulting mix in the case of the ivory or mars black will be more like charcoal.  Not always a bad thing, but with the F Ultramarine/Burnt Umber mix you have the option to push the color toward orange (burnt umber heavy) or toward blue ( F Ultramarine heavy). Thats a big deal.
    rautchetanBOB73Summer
  • Thanks Mark for the further explanation :)
    Summer