Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Canvas Stain / Palette Color

I'm curious why Mark Carder doesn't use Geneva paint to stain his canvas, or paint his palettes.  Is it perhaps simply a leaner mix that goes well underneath Geneva paint?  That would make sense for the canvas, but for the palette it doesn't matter.

Comments

• Geneva paint dries very slowly, so that's one reason. The kind of paint he uses for canvases and palettes dries overnight.

For the canvas you want a much thinner stain layer to for the fat-over-lean rule.

Those are the only reasons I can think of!
    PaulBBOB73FlattyKaustav
  • For the canvas you want a much thinner stain layer to for the fat-over-lean rule.
    I think it's this, but I haven't noticed it explicitly stated in the videos.

Now I'm wondering why there isn't a tube of "Geneva Mud" canvas stain I can buy.  For I am lazy.
  • @PaulB ; I haven't tried this yet with Geneva but it has crossed my mind to just paint a selected Geneva color on a white canvas and wipe it off leaving a stain on the canvas that I believe will dry somewhat faster.  Hmm.  Summer
    PaulBKaustav
  • @Summer That's what I was thinking of doing until I read @MikeDerby's straight-from-the-horses-mouth advice.

@MikeDerby Thank you.  You're the one that has convinced me to find a way to go to Austin.  Working on that...
    Summer
  • @MikeDerby ; Glad I mentioned it.  You saved me having to experiment.  :)  Summer
  • Summer said:
    @PaulB ; I haven't tried this yet with Geneva but it has crossed my mind to just paint a selected Geneva color on a white canvas and wipe it off leaving a stain on the canvas that I believe will dry somewhat faster.  Hmm.  Summer
    That's what I do. Fierce Indian heat during summer will dry earth colors within a day (This year it reached 48 degree C in Delhi region. It is trying to break its own record!)
    rautchetanSummer
  • Kaustav said:
    Summer said:
    @PaulB ; I haven't tried this yet with Geneva but it has crossed my mind to just paint a selected Geneva color on a white canvas and wipe it off leaving a stain on the canvas that I believe will dry somewhat faster.  Hmm.  Summer
    That's what I do. Fierce Indian heat during summer will dry earth colors within a day (This year it reached 48 degree C in Delhi region. It is trying to break its own record!)
    Sometimes I get confused whether I am painting with oils or acrylics!
    KaustavSummerBOB73
  • @paulb you will have a great time.  Check my blog of the trip for details.  It is here in General Discussion. I took a list of questions and added many while I was there.  He will tell you anything you want to know.  It's amazing that little things he said keep popping into my head.  
    PaulBBOB73
  • @MikeDerby Yes, I have read your blog of the trip, it was a fascinating read.

Perhaps you could critique my plan: I think I would get more out of that trip if I had first completed several DMP paintings, as I currently have two in progress (debatable) and neither is complete.  I think having a few of these under my belt would be beneficial, even if I develop bad habits in the process.

Then there is the class itself.  I'm inclined to ask for the portrait class, as I understand it is the most demanding/challenging/exacting of them, and again that would likely be the most benefit.

Why look for the most benefit? Because I don't think I could do this twice.  Unfortunately, I was in Austin for a week last May at a conference, a few blocks from the studio, completely unaware.  I think I walked right by it.  Right place, wrong activity.
  • @PaulB Bring one or two completed paintings with you if you would like him to critique them. That way he will know better how to instruct you. I'm veridian with envy that you are taking his class.

PaulB
  • Sorry @BOB73, Viridian is not Geneva palette compatible until monday.  This is all still in the planning stage, nothing reserved yet.

Good idea about taking paintings.
  • Planning is the fun part. Before actually spending money.
  • @PaulB - First of all, apologies for the book i am about to write.

The class was a rare opportunity for me to indulge myself.  I have only a few hours per week to paint so this was 8 days (now 6) in a row to do nothing but art.  I was pretty happy at the prospect so i did what i could to prepare.
    Back up to a year ago and i had attempted several portraits which did not turn out all that well.  Then I found Mark and made the conscious decision to focus on portraits and Mark's method.  I know there is a wide world out there and lots of things to paint but I am almost 60 and started at 57.  So I don't have 10 years to figure it out.  If I am going to be really good at it, i have to work on one thing enough to really master it.  That has been my strategy from the start.  Its like my woodwork.  I mostly do tables.  Bookcases as well but they are so easy they don't really count.  I don't do chairs and I don't do a lot of drawers.  This means that after 10 years, I can make you a killer table, in pretty much any style.  I learned this from guitar, where i tried to be really great at every style and ended up no good at any of them.
    So i painted Trinity.  It turned out better than i ever expected. I was floored at the difference between it and the preceeding painting.  The colors, values and likeness were vastly better.  Then i painted Lizzie, which was the absolute clincher for me.  I spent 6 weeks on it, at a time when i had open space every day, rather than weekly, to focus on painting.  The result was astoundingly better than Trinity.  Everything about it was a leap forward.  It was so much better, and made me so cocky, i started to experiment.  Add a busier work schedule and vacation to that and i got away from the method.  I managed some good things but its like writing a hit song, how do you match it.  Well, not so easily it turns out.
    So I finally got tired of my homebrew slow dry medium and bought Geneva paint.  Well that was a total departure and it took some time to learn how to use it.  It is not a slam dunk to paint with Geneva.  You have to do it the right way.  Mark talks about how he uses it and i had to listen closely to figure it out.  Here is the secret tip. He is busy. He mixes paint and leaves it out.  It thickens up.  By the time it goes on the canvas it is not so soupy.  I have put it on a canvas right out of the tube and come back the next day to find oil running down the painting.  Not a happy moment.
    Long story shortened somewhat, knowing that the class was coming up, i decided to buy the portrait video and do the very best i could to follow the entire process to the T.  The result is Mrs O'Flynn.  It was very satisfying.  Its not a great painting but the values are pretty good.  The colors are better and its the largest thing i have painted.  The main thing is that i had a really good handle on the method before i went to Austin.  Nevertheless, i did not go in acting like i knew anything.  I wanted the instruction, and i asked a long list of questions.
    But, and its a big but, i had missed so much in the videos.  The first thing Mark said to me is there is nothing new, that its all in the video's, and thats true.  But there is just something about having him there saying now you do this.  Watch out for that.  Thats wrong.  You did that out of order.  Did you find that color, etc etc etc.  No video can do that.
    So yes, your plan is perfect.  Get ready as much as possible but be ready to learn cuz there is plenty new.
    Last, regarding which area is the most challenging, my opinion is they are all equal.  Portraits are the most exacting, because you must get the likeness right.  But stills or landscapes are just as demanding if you have high standards.  You can learn how to do any of these three types of paintings from the How to Paint Realism video.  But i also have the portrait video and i have watched it more than once.  Some parts many times.  I like it the best.  Mark likes the realism video best.
    I hope you write a blog when you go.  The result of my class experience is Emily C and Miss Rice.  I think that speaks pretty well given the fact that I am a part time amateur painter.  It was worth every penny.
    dencalPaulBSummer
  • Thank you @MikeDerby, that's very generous of you to provide such great feedback, I appreciate that.  Your description (plus the blog of course) makes me want to do this more.  Your remarkable Mrs O'Flynn and Miss Rice work stands out, and I can see from the paintings what the trip did for you.

Thanks for the tips - I will prepare.  A few DMP paintings under my belt probably means I need to wait until next year.  Mark's availability is also a major factor.

I too have Mark's videos, and I enjoy them all.  I often have them playing as I fiddle with paint.  There is a certain soothing consistency among them regarding the workflow.

Cheers.