Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

about to start first portrait and first dmp. brush sizes?

hi all. getting ready to take a bold step and want to (try) to have all my ducks in a row before getting started. this is a 16x20 stretched canvas drawing of my wife (with a few corrections needed). With an image this close up and this large what size brushes would you recommend? i would still like to use filberts. and i would like it to be a little loose and not blended so much. sorry it looks funky, the lines are barely visible in real life so i had to change the exposure, gamma, saturation, etc in photoshop just to see the drawing at all. thanks!
rautchetanPaulBdencalFlattyerg

Comments

• That's a beautiful pose but not a great photograph in terms of both resolution and color.  You'll be essentially creating a monochrome painting. Are you intending to replicate that coloring?
  • ThatAIGuy

Mark recommends:

Different people have different preferences when it comes to brushes. I've tried all kinds of brushes, and this is what I recommend to people who do not want to spend too much money:

At least two small detail brushes, like the Winsor & Newton Monarch Round #00

At least four small filbert brushes like the Winsor & Newton Artists' Oil Brush Filbert #2

At least two medium-size filbert brushes like the Winsor & Newton Artists' Oil Brush Filbert #5

If you are going to be painting large paintings (30"x 40" or larger) you may want to purchase some larger filberts.

The above recommended number of total brushes should be considered a bare minimum. I personally use about three or four times as many brushes when I paint. Using too few brushes will make painting more difficult.

Denis
  • Getting advice from Denis and Mark Carder! It doesn't get any better than that. You can use a little larger brushes for hair and background. @PaulB makes a good point about color. It would be great if you could have your wife pose for you to get the colors.
    rautchetanPaulBForgiveness
  • PaulB said:
    That's a beautiful pose but not a great photograph in terms of both resolution and color.  You'll be essentially creating a monochrome painting. Are you intending to replicate that coloring?
    yeah. mostly yellow ochre or raw umber
     lol. although im taking it very seriously i picked the simplest photo i could find because i'm basically going to use this as a learning experience rather than trying to make a great painting...it looks really overexposed on here for some reason. its actually darker than that
    PaulBjswartzart
  • Let us know whether you find the photo as simple to paint as you're anticipating - I'm interested to know.

As for brush size it probably depends on the look you're going for. You could do it all with tiny brushes, or you could do it all with medium sized brushes like Mark uses (he says he even uses medium sized ones for putting the tiny little reflection dots in people's eyes).

If you're doing this as a learning experience it might be fun to simply avoid getting bogged down on tiny details with tiny brushes and instead just try and follow the Carder method straight-up and see how it turns out. Of course you can also just save the tiny brushes for the eyes and other detailed parts.
    PaulB
  • edited June 8
    Nice pose and looks like a fairly accurate drawing. Great idea for a first painting to keep colour simple (as will be the case here) and focus instead on value and form. Even though the photo is basically monochrome I think this could make a lovely portrait. You say you want it to look fairly loose and unblended.  This will produce a more painterly and lively effect and the brushes Denis mentioned should be about right for this.

• Let us know whether you find the photo as simple to paint as you're anticipating - I'm interested to know.

i feel the same lol. i'll post updates as i progress. going tomorrow to get the photo printed and laminated and am waiting on some brushes to come in the mail.

tassieguy said:
    . Great idea for a first painting to keep colour simple (as will be the case here) and focus instead on value and form.

exactly my plan. as movealonghome said...i feel its going to be more difficult than it looks and i'm filled with antici...

• She is such an attractive lady in any sense but those eyes are fabulous. If you get the eyes right in the painting (as they are in the drawing) it will be super!
    PaulB
  • thanks bob! she does have killer eyes! even better in color 
  • ... and remember what st. john singer sargent said: "there is always something wrong with the mouth" :p
    ThatAlGuy