Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Girl in Poppy Fields...Third DMP portrait

Hi All,
This is what I have been working on lately....one thing I realized is I am still not able to judge color without checking it with the printed photo (if I directly try to apply it,I fail  each time).I feel I am developing overall sense of values just by looking but still not able to find the right color,any suggestion/exercise which will  help me to develop it?Please post your views and suggestions about it(will post a better photo ASAP).Thank you 

SummerergwalkodencalKaustavForgivenessFlattyRoxyBOB73MikeDerby

Comments

• @rautchetan.  I was first drawn to the face, then to the background on the right, then to the foreground.  I was pleasantly surprised with all areas of the painting because each area is different but still lively and energetic--not boring.  You handle reds exceptionally well in this painting I think because the values are also correct.  I love it.  Summer
    rautchetan
  • You are getting progressively better.
    rautchetan
  • You've done a fine job here, @rauchetan. I especially like your treatment of the dress, the white with black polka dots makes for a lively portrait. Well done!
    rautchetan
  • I think this is very good. I would have put pale highlights on her left shoulder, foreheads, nose, and cheeks but I don't have the source that you have.
    BOB73
  • edited June 8
    Thanks @Kaustav :) ...The printout which I had of this photo was quite dark in colors,that is why I might have lost those crisp highlights.This was the reference photo I used:

KaustavNanaBeanSummer
  • You've done great work in this! I enjoy your progress.
    rautchetan
  • congrats @rautchetan ! very vibrant painting and an adorable subject! I find pics of children, the least contrived of all the ref pics I have been searching. I haven't started portraits in fear of failing but you inspire me to start, so that my progress in the field might also start.
    One thing I would suggest, if its not much of a trouble, is to take the photo of the ref picture and the painting in the same shot, so that we can see what you see when you paint (the darkened version of the ref). I believe this would do more justice to your painting.
    One question, do you use a proportional divider or a scale when you outline the figure? 
    rautchetan
  • Thank you so much @anwesha ,I do like painting portraits and found this one and the one before it("Innocence...Second DMP portrait" one) very natural(found it on pexels.com which you had suggested :) ).I had referred your "a storm brewing" and tassiguy's "Gum Leaves"  while painting the poppies because both of them were beautifully painted and had that natural randomness and right values in them,so I am confident enough that you will paint a fantastic portrait whenever you try.
        And I will surely post the ref and better photo of painting in same shot,the ref has been covered with the blobs of paint while I was checking my colors  :# ,but I will clean that up and will post ASAP..sorry for the trouble there.
       About using proportional divider...I currently don't have mark's proportional divider :/ so I use traditional method of taking proportions and overall dimensions by using the handle of the brush as a scale.
  • hey, my paintings aren't up to the mark for referring  :# , they might take you in the wrong direction....

I have bought a plastic proportional divider as it was cheaper, and the reviews were good enough..

and for ref pics, check out pixabay.com too. they have a larger stock and are free for commercial use.
    rautchetan
  • edited June 8
    anwesha said:
    hey, my paintings aren't up to the mark for referring  :# 

Yes they are! your first still life is much better and perfect than my last still life :D 

Plastic proportional divider looks worth a try....and Thanks I will surely check out pixabay :)
    BOB73
  • This is very good. That's a lot of red to make work but you've made it work. @PaulB will be so jealous.
    rautchetanPaulB
  • edited June 8
    Thank you so much @BOB73 :) and I am sure @PaulB will certainly handle Red way better than me :D !
    PaulB
  • @BOB73 I am jealous.

@rautchetan No way, I have no experience with red.  No one else mentioned it but I am enjoying the way the red in her dress meets, matches and blends with the red of the poppies.  Lots of lost lines there.  Great painting!
    rautchetanBOB73
  • Thank you so much for noticing it @PaulB ,It was one of the reasons I was so excited to paint this :) 
    PaulB
  • Hi all,
        This is slightly a better photograph consistent with the colors of painting...

Here is the side by side comparison of Source and Painting : 

I can clearly see now that I have missed so many values and have slightly wrong reds,plus drawing is also not accurate.

Thanks for having a look :)
    anweshaForgiveness
  • It's those "mistakes" that make it such an awesome painting. Otherwise just hang the photo on the wall and put the painting away.
    rautchetanSummer
  • edited June 9
    Very beautiful painting, has more expression in it than the photo and like that better. Did you use your proportional divider often enough? I spend a week on the drawing alone, building confidence and readiness for painting along the way. I don't know if this will help but I learn to forget about the photo very soon after the painting is considered complete. I acknowledge my mistakes, make a mental note and apply myself better for next one with the intention of over coming things I don't want. Eventually I come around to better appreciate and like what I have done in that past moment in the last painting. Every painting become notes to myself in my progress and /or failure as a painter. When I only look at my paintings (no photos) I clearly see progress taking place.
    BOB73rautchetan
  • edited June 9
    @Forgiveness thanks for your kind words :) ,I use handle of my brush as proportional divider/measurement tool.
    Forgiveness
  • @rautchetan for many years I used a pencil, it's great.
    rautchetan
  • This is something I learned as well.  The photos I post here, especially side by side comparisons are excellent tools for seeing the differences.  I think its better than a mirror.  You have a very nice painting here and if you decide to call it finished, I am sure it will be treasured by the family.  But if you want to take it to the next level you only need to bump the line of the jaw a little and add some highlights to the face, arm and dress.  You painted all of this, a few tweaks will be nothing.  Also, don't worry about the background.  I see some oxidation starting there and the temptation is to try to fix it.  However, the varnish will take care of that.  I have watched my paintings turn to a chalky mess and then been thrilled when the varnish made them look new and fresh for all time.
    anwesharautchetan
  • Thanks @MikeDerby :) ,I am thinking about tweaking the jawline but I feel it will then make part where her jaw meets neck out of proportion...And I will surely check the highlights.Thanks again :)