Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Hi, need inspiration, from very wet, grey United Kingdom.

Yes, I know just pick up a brush, mix and paint - but it's the lack of inspiration at the moment which is causing me problems.  Where, how do I get started again?  Maybe confidence has flown the nest, I have a degenerative eye condition and perhaps need to surmount my angst about this in order to start producing 'Gauguins' again.

Forgiveness

Comments

• edited May 19
    @CJM, if it's wet and grey there you could exploit this to create a beautiful painting that explores the soft colours and subtle value gradations we see in those weather conditions. You could part the clouds to add a splash of sunlight somewhere in the picture to brighten the mood. Don't think about it or wait for inspiration - just pick up those brushes.

Happy painting!
    Bancroft414
  • Hmm, what do you like? My husband keeps telling me that over and over lol... when he sees a new painting of mine first thing he asks me is this what you like? I say not really I think this is what might sell..( I gotta start taking my own advice) 

for inspiation I look at pictures that move me I want to paint them so badly but keep putting them off because I have some other project getting in the way.

But I still believe it is good advice and one of theses days I am going to follow it too! ;)

pixabay.com may help you it is free and pics are also copyright free as well as pmp.com (paint my photo) 
  • Paint big. You can see what you're doing and even if it turns out all wrong people will love it because it is big. The bigger it is the more fun you will have.
  • See recent post on stepan kolsenikov. 
  • edited May 19
    When I started learning to paint in realism 1978, one of my favorite teachers said; "my greatest enemy in painting realism is "boredom"(lack of inspiration), I absolutely must fight against this." You are on the right track! What do you really like? What do you really want most? I recommend be gentle and take your time, pay attention, learn and don't let the artist curse get you down or keep you from progressing.
    jswartzart
  • What is the saying? Something like, "Inspiration comes, but it has to find you working," is that the saying?
  • edited May 19
    have you considered Mark's most recent videos? How To Paint From My Imagination - Painting demo and Emily paints 2 doors!
  • If you like these above, glad to share mine. Please let us know.
  • When in doubt of what to paint, paint a self portrait.
  • edited May 20
    @CJM You should go out. That will make all the difference in the world.

Buy or make a small box like this http://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-Wooden-Pochade-Thumb-Box-MP-51761-001-i1013985.utrecht  (this is the most convenient box in the world, I made my own). If you don't want to spend on panels right now then paste oil papers on top of cardboard panels. You can paint without mediums on paper. When you are home remove those papers and paste new ones. You will have nice sketches for paintings. I think you should hear these lectures by Steven Baumann:

For eye condition, I don't know what is the issue but wearing sunglasses may protect your eyes from the sun and give you different effects to paint that are not present naturally (we have a glaring sun in India, you sometimes fail to see anything, its too much light).

For subjects, idea is...don't look for subjects. Find a place to stand or sit properly, set up your things, put paints on palette, take a deep breath and then see what is in front of you. If you are a good artist then you'll be able to bring life to anything. You can obviously get rid-of or include anything.

For gloomy weather in England, here is a Frenchman named Monet painted the following scenes a few years ago. I think you will like these.

And here is one that was done in France:

• Still looking for inspiration @CJM ? Copy a Gauguin.

Image result for gauguin
  • CJM, I'm just getting started.  What is your advice to me?
  • I have always been of the opinion that my muse is unique (…) and am in competition with no one. My relationship with my muse is a delicate one at the best of times and it is my duty to protect her from influences that may offend her fragile nature. She comes to me with the gift of song and in return I treat her with the respect I think she deserves. And in this case this means not subjecting her to the indignities of judgement and competition. My muse is not a horse, I am in no horse race, and if indeed I was still I would not harness her to this tumbrel (…). My muse may spook, may bolt, may abandon me completely.”  Nick Cave

The pilot light of creativitiy is a fragile beast - you must protect that fragile flicker with all of your being and yet allow it to soar. 

I have had many waves of creativity throughout my life and the non-creative times were as you described - not being motivated to start or feeling completely inadequate.  Once you do start, I have a feeling your muse will have the nourishment it needs to soar.

Do you have a small canvas or board or even aluminum and some cheap paint and inexpensive brushes?  Do a quick study - for me, a single flower or petal can motivate me - keep it very simple - perhaps even throw it away - I will use old cheap brushes and throw them away because I hate the clean up and bother of setting up for a serious painting.  Just use a few colors if you wish - Good luck!!!  Feed the flame!  :)
    PaulB
  • SummerSummer -
    edited July 1
    CJM said:
    I have a degenerative eye condition and perhaps need to surmount my angst about this in order to start producing 'Gauguins' again.

Paint anyway.  You will paint in a unique way.  If you paint the world in this unique way, you will, without meaning to, paint in a distinctive style.  Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 30
    @WIKEN ; I am envious of your skills with the camera and your access to these environments.  May I ask what camera you used for these photos?  Lenses?  ExpoDisc? and did you alter the images with a processor?  Thanks.  Summer
  • WIKENWIKEN -
    edited June 30
    I use a Canon T3i DSLR with a couple L series lenses.  I am hoping to upgrade my camera body soon.  As far as adjustments, I do tweak them using the photo editing software on Windows 10, but not too much.  

CJM, it's a 2 hour flight from Heathrow to Milan.  Get on a plane and go to Italy.  Trust me, you will find all the inspiration you need.   

Below is an example of what you can do, even with basic photo editing software.  This is Vernazza in Italy, one of the towns on Cinque Terre.  The first picture is pretty much what the colors looked like when I took the shot.  The second is what you usually see in the brochures and from the photo peddlers.  

All five towns are still very beautiful and charming.  We rode the train between the towns without ever having our tickets examined.  People slept right on that little beach, and the take away food is cheap.  You could eat a meal for under 5 euro.  I'm serious, if anyone is looking for inspiration, look no further.  See my other post titled "Italy!!" if you need more proof.
    BOB73SummerBancroft414
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 30
    Thanks!  @WIKEN ; Your photos are proof that one should never skimp on the lenses.  My camera body is similar to yours, the Canon EOS Rebel T3.  Will not be surprised if one of our members decides to paint one of your photos.  :)  Summer
    Bancroft414
  • SummerSummer -
    edited July 4
    @CJM ; I occasionally watch something on Netflix and freeze-frame a half dozen images that trigger my interest.  Then I capture those images in a Windows program and make jpg files out of them and save them inside a folder on my desktop.  I use a program to view these images that are in the folder just for INSPIRATION.   :)    Summer

Bancroft414