Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Work in progress. Any suggestions?

This is my second painting. 
It's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster this whole learning to see thing. I go back and forth between thinking I'm getting somewhere and then thinking I've been doing things all wrong. 

I THINK one issue I'm having is the light in my studio. I am painting next to a north facing window. I put up a black cloth behind me and blocking part of the window. I also mounted 2 utility lights with 5000k lumen bulbs as high as I can but that isn't very high. The ceiling is only about 8 feet. I ended up re-mixing and re-painting the majority of this because all the colours looked different-- maybe because it was a different time of day. I think I also realized that I had been tilting my colour checker to prevent glare but that was completely changing the value that I could see. 

Any tips about getting the light right in a studio with really low ceilings? See how dark this is? The composition is actually very light with a white wall in the background but it looks so dark. I just can't get my studio bright. Suggestions?