Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Studio and paint temperature

My studio is set up in an attached but separate space from my living space. What would be a minimum temperature for paints and in progress paintings over night(s)? Thank you!

Comments

• FlattyFlatty admin
    It can be colder than your comfortable. I keep my apartment between 55-60 degrees In the cold months. Mainly because I'm cheap:-) but also extends my work time when painting
    cadiasome
  • edited May 10
    I agree with Flatty, and in the winter (Canada), I also place my pallet while not in use near a slightly opened window to further extend drying time, not freezing, but really quite cold like a refrigerator.
    cadia
  • Thank you both, I'm in Maine so we get the cool- cold. I can warm up the space while I work then cooling it down but not at freezing will work perfectly!
    Forgiveness
  • Oil based paints stored lower than 50 deg F have problems over time is all I know. they get gunky hard spots and need a lot more thinning and medium. Even if you can fix them there's no telling what it might have done to the permanence or strength of the final paint film. Why not just move on down here to Texas?
    cadia
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    I love Maine, have family around the Milinockett area
    cadia
  • Thanks @BOB73 I never let my paints get too cold at all, you learn that in Canada! And of course moving to Texas seems quite inviting indeed! and I know I would still miss the cold and snow!
    Flatty
  • Thanks for that info Bob73! 
  • You like snow? We get snow... once every 6 or 7 years. My girls tried to have a snowball fight a few years ago but they scraped up all they could from ours and the neighbors yards and only had enough for one snow ball so they made a snowman instead. It was about 4 inches tall.
    Forgiveness
  • This is interesting..
    dencal
  •  @BOB73 ,my current painting that I am working on has snow in it I am just at the drawing on tracing paper stage, then transfer to canvas, then get the colors together and begin painting.
    BOB73
  • Some

Thanks. I was quite emotional by the end, that music or was it the wasted paint?

Denis

BOB73Forgivenesssomecadia
  • Interesting video but I don't know if that will help preserve  the paints at low temperatures. At least you know the paints will stay fresh longer under water. Just need to carry an icepick in the pochade box?
    Forgiveness
  • Did you know that the Group of Seven painters had to have a fire going on all the the time that they were painting during winter, fall and spring seasons, to preserve their paint. This also explains some of their thick brush strokes, from the cold.
    BOB73
  • where I live it's not a problem we have only two seasons; summer and February.
    cadia
  • Now that the cold has set in for real I am finding my painting left in the studio seems wetter the next day than when I left it for the night~to the point where the paint looks like it wants to almost drip off and seems to have to adherence to the canvas. Today I tried to paint a layer on top of yesterdays and took more paint off than I put on! 
    Thank s for all the helpful comments above!