Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Glare from ceiling on palette?

Hey,

I'm getting fairly uniform glare on my palette from my white ceiling. Is this normal? Fixable?

Comments

• I'm also having trouble getting rid of all glare from the top of the canvas. My ceilings are 8ft and even with the lights right at the ceiling and at varying distances from the canvas there's still glare
  • FlattyFlatty admin

Hey,

I'm getting fairly uniform glare on my palette from my white ceiling. Is this normal? Fixable?

Is your palette resting flat?
  • FlattyFlatty admin

I'm also having trouble getting rid of all glare from the top of the canvas. My ceilings are 8ft and even with the lights right at the ceiling and at varying distances from the canvas there's still glare

Make sure yourlighting is at a true 35 degrees from your canvas. I have the same height issues. 
  • The pinball wizard's lament and your solution: tilt
  • The angle/tilt does seem like it could make the difference, thanks.

Anyone able to eliminate glare on the canvas with only an 8 foot ceiling? Even with a low chair, with the canvas at eye level, glare is very visible at the top of the canvas. I've tried positioning the light at 35 degrees but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • edited May 10
    I get this problem. So far, I just find myself working with it, going with that flow until I can find a better solution. However it is annoying but do my best to just let it go and enjoy the process as best I can and focus more on painting something I will like with good results. I do have to shift my sitting positions, stand up frequently and pick up the canvas or shift it some for me to get along. And I determined that maybe it's not really so severe as I first thought. I have 9ft ceiling and canvas is positioned just about straight up at my eye level.
    some
  • Folks

Try positioning a large panel of black foam board or a black umbrella above the palette and/or canvass.

Denis

ForgivenessTeranceBOB73
  • I'm also going to experiment with having the canvas tilted forward slightly. That might be the trick to compensate for a low ceiling
    BOB73some
  • Glare is almost always a struggle.
    ForgivenessjrbgolfsFlattyBoudicca
  • What are you wearing?  Wear dark colors.  Most glare comes from you or behind you, after you have set the lights and angles correctly of course.   I also sometimes have trouble with competing light sources so i only use the one over my head.