Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Art joke

I saw this one on my twitter feed and liked it:

tassieguyForgivenessKaustavdencalBOB73anweshaTeranceIrishcajunjswartzartBoudiccasome

Comments

• Love it! It's easy to be persuaded that there's as much nonsense spoken about art as there is about wine. :)
    BOB73
  • Love the dog. I'd be interested to know what people think of Bob Ross' paintings?
  • Bob Ross: Fun but not the way I want to paint. I know he's produced some serious art but I don't regard him as a serious artist. He was also very commercial. I liked Bill Alexander better. My mother painted with him. @tassieguy, Your comment on the phone conversation; so true.
  • I always got a kick out of Bob Ross but that type of painting doesn't really teach you as a painter how to see which is really the most important thing to learn. 
  • I think Bob Ross is fun. I Like how happy he is in the videos. Not everyone enjoys painting landscapes but he clearly loved it.
    Terancerautchetan

• tassieguy said:

Love the dog. I'd be interested to know what people think of Bob Ross' paintings?

Dislike his paintings, love the man. I find his life story and philosophy intriguing. He brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people. 
    rautchetan
  • Bob Ross, he encouraged a LOT of people to paint. I think more than anyone I can think of. I am one of them. I saw him use that palette knife and thought hmmm.  He hit the tv screen at the right time. Of course, it is only the beginning for so many. For me, he said; "you can do this, forget what people might say." Then I found out, I could do it a little bit. I'm thankful he took the time to do it, and encourage so many people on his way.  That's why I am thankful for Mark Carder as well. He encourages one to paint in a good, not arrogant manner. Dick Blick, Jerry's Artarama, Geneva...., anyone who sells paint supplies should be thankful for Bob Ross. He jumped started many into oil painting. So what if you don't like the style? The fact we are talking about him long after his death is a tribute to him and his effect for oil painting.
    rautchetanjswartzart
  • When I first started in oils at eleven, his was the style I painted: fluorescent green grass, blindingly blue sky, palette knife mountain, and fan brush trees. I recently read that he was like a cabinet maker in that his style of painting was formulaic and mindless, but I do think that if it weren't for his show, my grandfather, cousin, and I may never have gotten into painting (maybe). I know he said he owed much to Bill Alexander. I wonder how many artists owe much to Ross. As an aside, I found it interesting that after his first season of The Joy of Painting he did the show for free.
    Forgivenessrautchetan