Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Linseed oil question

Can I use Refinded Linseed oil 

Comments

• BonnieSue

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes. Mark recommends refined linseed oil in the supply list for slow dry medium.

recipes

There are currently no mediums on the market that slow the drying rate of oil paint adequately, so you will need to make it yourself.

recipe for slow-dry medium (for all colors except titanium white):

• 10 parts odorless mineral spirits (any artist-grade odorless mineral spirits will do)
    • 5 parts stand oil or linseed stand oil (this is viscous like honey and is not the same as refined linseed oil)
    • 1 part refined linseed oil
    • 5 parts Venice turpentine *
    • 2 parts oil of cloves †

For burnt umber, you will need extra clove oil. Please watch this video for instructions on how to incorporate the extra clove oil into burnt umber: youtu.be/lpU9egKu-kM

recipe for slow-dry medium for titanium white:

• 10 parts odorless mineral spirits
    • 1 part stand oil or linseed stand oil
    • 5 parts refined linseed oil
    • 5 parts Venice turpentine *

Venice turpentine is not at all the same as what is commonly known as "turpentine", a solvent commonly used by artists many years ago (and still used by some artists today). Venice turpentine, on the other hand, is simply tree sap — a thick resin which is thick like honey.

† Oil of cloves is sold as "clove leaf oil", "clove bud oil", or simply "clove oil" — any of these forms is fine. You may try looking for it in drug stores, health food stores, or from an online supplier.

Here is a video tutorial on mixing paint with medium: youtu.be/lpU9egKu-kM

Denis

• @dencal thank you for the information.  May need to make trip to Fort Worth to shop for supplies.  

I currently live in an area that is bereft of art sadely.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited April 29
    BonnieSue

Order Geneva Paints from Mark in Austin. You won't need all the ingredients listed above.

Denis

• I have seen this recipe but on the DMP he had one recipe with just poppy or safflower with clove oil.  Since i already had some linseed oil I was hoping to use it up before i buy more supplies.
  • BonnieSue

Yes. Safflower and clove is for keeping your brushes in good condition between painting sessions.
    Using a Brush Dip in this way means you don't have to clean out your brushes.

Denis

BonnieSue
  • @BonnieSue , You can get supplies online from Jerry's Artarama. It's the Amazon of art supplies and their prices are more reasonable than retail stores and in most cases better than Amazon. We have a Jerry's in Houston but it is small and their prices are higher. The online store has free shipping on orders over $50 so wait till you need to stock up. The only thing they didn't have was clove oil which I got from Amazon.
    BonnieSueFlatty
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    I'm a. If Jerry's fan