Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Is it mendatory for primary schools to have drawing classes?

I want to know is it necessary for primary schools to have drawing classes? Or studies should be the main concern for children? Do school should take drawing classes as important subject or not? Please suggest. 

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited April 25
    ShikhaSehgal

Welcome to the Forum.

Such a requirement varies and may even be absent from place to place around the world.
    The school curriculum from Kindergarten to Year 10 in Western Australia specifies the required art subjects in some detail. Here is a link to that document.

Drawing is an important skill that develops the growing brain. Kids love to draw so they will do it anyway. What is nececessary is an exposure to the wide range of tools, materials, techniques and concepts in graphic creation.

Denis

• I think its good to expose young kids to it but by high school I think it should be optional.  Older kids who really want to do it have resources available where they can learn it on their own.  

• Just my two cents worth, but drawing also has its psychological purposes to the school system that lets teachers, administrators, and social services know if a child is socializing well both at school and at home.  
  • In Florida and Louisiana we had drawing and coloring in kindergarten at least to identify shapes and name colors but only a little bit in first and second grade. In grade 3 and 4 we were sometimes asked to draw as part of an assignment. When studying plants and animals we might be asked to draw a plant and label the different parts, same with animals. We also made holiday decorations. In middle grades 6-9 and high school art and graphics were available as electives.
  • @BOB73 ; I am always amazed when I discover that people can remember that far back with such detailed recollections.  All I remember is more than a few parent-teacher meetings about me drawing in every class.  I couldn't turn it off--haha.  Summer
    BOB73Kaustav
  • @Summer, I amaze myself too because I usually can't remember what I had for yesterday's supper. I did as you did always drawing when I should have been doing homework.
    Summer
  • All I remember from high school art class is people copying album covers.  it was a waste of time.
    BOB73
  • edited April 29
    One thing I do remember from high school is realism was not it, although they tried. (in late 60's through the 70's), something many tried to run away from! even though the school did offer a good art classes.
    Summer
  • I can't imagine an education system that did not encourage kids to draw and paint. School would have been a complete pain in the #!-%*~  if we'd not had art classes.
    rautchetanForgivenessBOB73
  • @tassieguy 100% true..I never used to bunk high school on Wednesdays and Thursdays as they had drawing classes, otherwise had below average attendance :D ;)
    Forgiveness
  • edited April 30
    Being an already a practicing artist, saved my sanity and my life, saved me from failing in high school and attracted friends and made for interesting socials, kept me busy with the right kinds of things. There was no reward system for those who studied arts except for what we may do on an individual basis to further advance. And did not win a grade 12 diploma because of this, and gave me a life that is so completely different than most everyone else. My average grade in school was 58%, but drawing and painting gave me 80% average which did not count as valuable enough for grade 12 diploma.

• JeffAllen said:

I think its good to expose young kids to it but by high school I think it should be optional.  Older kids who really want to do it have resources available where they can learn it on their own.  

Yeah I agree and now we have the internet and youtube so an 8 year-old can come home from school and watch Mark Carder to learn how to paint or a million other things. It's scary how fast these kids learn these days.
    Forgiveness
  • edited May 1
    At 8 years old, realism inspired me the most and so eager to learn and practice, finding my own way already. I won my first award for drawing at that time!
    BOB73rautchetanKaustavjswartzart
  • In one's childhood,teacher utilize Children's rich imagination to draw down their painting, this curriculum can motivate their creativity.
  • @Bob73:  Very true.  This applies to all sorts of things.  My son who is graduating high school learned more about calculus and physics from watching youtube videos than he did in school.  Now he is going off to school to study physics at the Airforce Academy. When I (and I'm assuming you) were in school if you didn't get something and had a bad teacher your were kind of SOL.  That limitation is gone now.
    ForgivenessBOB73
  • Our teachers were pretty good (in the 1950s) about giving help but there were limitations. I was blessed with a dad and mom and older sister that were good at explaining things. Still it wasn't like having youtube.
  • edited May 4
    "Still it wasn't like having youtube", as a full adult now I was able to learn a whole lot more than in my past, convenient access to so much information. And coming across Mark C. and this forum has added so much more to my learning experience in a whole new way and progressing and keeps my sense of appreciation alive, like an never ending learning curve. I'm grateful to have had this experience.
  • Yes it's great (youtube) but there are a lot of misinformation videos too. One "artist" tells us to use a painter's tarp for canvas. Another said use a heat gun to speed drying time. Wrong.
    Forgiveness
  • edited May 4
    I am real grateful to have had great teachers before any of this, otherwise I would have got lost. I would have used a painter's tarp for canvas and use the heat gun!, and just about everything else, etc., etc. ... When I was eight, my father was working for an internationally renowned art gallery. He was first Shipper and Receiver, had a van to drive to pick up and return artworks lent to and from this gallery from around the world. It was a thrill to go with dad in his van on just a few trips and see first hand some of these absolute masterpieces in your face, it was awesome! Later he was promoted to "finishing carpenter" and revolutionized the way artworks are crated for shipment. Since then galleries and artists around the world have adopted his method with great success.
    anweshadencalBoudicca
  • edited May 5
    I never had any art lessons in school. Music was really the focus but not art. I have always loved to draw and come by it naturally my great grandmother painted porcelain, my grandmother sang on the radio, both my parents are artistic and my father is a musician, my younger siblings being much more talented than myself at all of it. I really wish there had been some type of class for me in school since it's only since YouTube that I have found out that I love to paint!
    I home school my children and even in the Calvert curriculum (which is what I use) there is much more emphasis on art then that of public schools. 
    My oldest in second grade has to study famous paintings (paintings I had no idea existed until adulthood).
    So to answer your question, yes I feel that it is a very important subject. My 7 yr old has never liked to color with crayons or draw but he does enjoy painting, my 4yr old Loves everything art. 
    And art can even help with other subject like solving math problems.... when my 7yr old is struggling to comprehend a word problem even using number bonds and bar models sometimes isn't enough, but if I draw out a story on the board to go with the word problem he can visually see it and solve the problem in his head. 
    Art can be a wonderful tool in the learning process, kids learn quicker with hands on ( example physical items counting cubes, paper clips) then visually (pictures)  and then with pen and paper (reading etc.) at least this has been my experience in teaching.
    I think every school should offer it but I don't think the funding is there.
    dencalForgivenessBOB73
  • I love the concept of home schooling. I believe that is the right alternative. It's important that they be involved with other kids though. I hope you have an outlet for that. Are you going to teach them how to draw and paint the Mark Carder way?
    jswartzart
  • I think art history is a good thing to teach, but not in the way most teachers teach it (e.g. memorize which artist painted which piece and when).  The why is much more important.
    Forgivenessjswartzart
  • @BOB73 yes I do have a weekly outlet for social interactions with others kids, it works very well for us. I will definitely be teaching them art and how to - since I have switched to oils I have given them my acrylics to go along with the other supplies we have ( literally whatever I have they can use except my oils lol) 
    @JeffAllen I agree. The study of the paintings is interesting for example we studied this painting by Henri Rousseau.. we talked more about the painting and items he used to create it and why a horse drawn carriage then about the artist. Will my son retain the info probably not but learning there is not one set thing or way to create art is good... especially for someone like my son who hated drawing anything till recently. Now he can actually enjoy creating something.
    BOB73
  • @jswartzart;  I think it is good to study artists in relation to the time period they lived in and how their art was a reaction to said time period.  
    jswartzartBOB73
  • @JeffAllen when I asked my son "why do you think he painted a horse and carriage?" His answer was "Because he didn't have a car" lol
    BOB73
  • Lol.  That's a good one.  Yeah to do it really well you really have to make it like a real history class and talk about non-art related topics associated with the relevant time period (e.g. political, religious, philosophical, economics of the relevant time).  For example when you talk about painting from the renaissance you have to discuss the Medici's, the church, shift from humanism, shift from the guild system etc.  it gives you a much better understanding and is more interesting.   
    jswartzartBOB73
  • Jeff can't I just look at the pretty pictures? You're right though but for an older bunch.
    jswartzart
  • @Bob73:  Sure you can look at pretty pictures.  Maybe you can equate it with watching a heavy special effects type movie that has no plot.  Its pretty but sort of empty I guess. For a painter looking at a painting is different.  You can look at a well crafted painting to learn more about the craft of painting.  I sort of look at the impressionists this way.  They knew color very well and other painters can learn lots about painting by looking at their work but in the end what does a picture of a bunch of hay bales or lily pads really mean or matter.  
  • I could look at Monet's lily pads for hours. As an artist you should be a little more sensitive to the people that enjoy looking at art. BTW I generally don't like movies overloaded with SF. I still get satisfaction out of Yakima Canutt's horse belly ride in 1939's Stage Coach. You're also right about an artist look at another artist's work to learn.