Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Reading - life-only figure study

Hey, everybody.  I thought I'd share a painting I started last night and just give you something to look at. It'll be a live-only piece.  

Everything's still real generalized and I hope to actually model the face next time I'm at it. I really underestimated those crazy colors and their shadows!

Thanks for dropping by. CC/feedback always welcome.
dencalForgivenessSummerBOB73davelanderIrishcajun

Comments

• Looks like it is coming along nicely.
  • Jeff, thanks, brother!
  • I need to do some life drawing again.  Its just so damn inconvenient and I don't have any nude models lying around.  I'll have to see if the University has any open figure drawing nights

• Dude, true.  Painting from life has to be one of the world's most inconvenient things (lol), but hey it feels good when you're doing it and it turns out well.

That's a good call on the uni. Idea. I'll have to try that myself.
  • Round 2, but unfortunately still no model! (Lol) she's stuck at work.

KaustavSummerEstherH
  • A slight update. Hoping to lay in most of the general patterns everywhere else in a couple days.

Thanks for lookin!

Forgiveness
  • Looks good so far. In a picture like this I think it's good to lay in the main masses before getting down to details. If the foundation is good what will build on it is more likely to be good, too.
    JPBForgiveness

• tassieguy said:

Looks good so far. In a picture like this I think it's good to lay in the main masses before getting down to details. If the foundation is good what will build on it is more likely to be good, too.

Thanks for the feedback, tassieguy! I agree.

I'll be happier once I can get the pajama pants started.  They have a crazy tartan pattern im not very in love with doing lol.

I'll be back with more later.
  • Excellent work! This coming along quite well, I like your approach on this and it's good to take your time.
    JPB
  • I really like this as is except for the one hand.  It looks really wonky to me and is distracting.  Also on the other hand check the value of the fingers compared to the arm.  Overall you are doing a great job.
    JPB
  • As a side note to my last comment, the hands look better and more integrated in the previous iteration.
    JPB

• Excellent work! This coming along quite well, I like your approach on this and it's good to take your time.

Forgiveness, your kindness is encouraging! Thank you.

JeffAllen said:

As a side note to my last comment, the hands look better and more integrated in the previous iteration.

The face, though more face-like, is also way off too (lol).  The good news is, I think I know where the wonk is.

Hate to say it but I think I'll have to do dedicated sessions on both the hands and the face to get them where I want them. 

I really like this forum and it's inhabitants; ya'll are not afraid of tough crits and throwing hammers at what needs it! :)
  • @JPB:  I actually like the face.  Its the hands that are distracting.
    JPB

• JPB said:

I really like this forum and it's inhabitants; ya'll are not afraid of tough crits and throwing hammers at what needs it! :)

You right on the mark there @JPB. It's what makes this forum so useful to the artist. I've been able to improve many of my paintings thanks to the crits I get here.

I think @JeffAllen is right about the hands and I like your idea of devoting a session to them. I didn't mention them in my earlier post because I understood that at this stage everything is fairly generalized and that more details and adjustments would happen when your model arrived. I like the overall composition and think this could be a really good painting.
    JPB

• tassieguy said:

JPB said:

You right on the mark there @JPB. It's what makes this forum so useful to the artist. I've been able to improve many of my paintings thanks to the crits I get here.

I think @JeffAllen is right about the hands and I like your idea of devoting a session to them. I didn't mention them in my earlier post because I understood that at this stage everything is fairly generalized and that more details and adjustments would happen when your model arrived. I like the overall composition and think this could be a really good painting.

I'll admit, I didn't know this forum was both so skilled and so helpful; ya'll are great company. It's sort of like an atelier with skilled painters not afraid to post up on work, which is to say, very unlike art uni. and some other places on the net I've seen. :lol:

I don't like chain-posting pix without big progress, but since I'm here anyway

Before dinner, I resuggested the general tone map I had in mind for the ugly hand & should get some actual model time in tomorrow (thank god :tongue:)

Thanks again
    Forgivenessrautchetan
  • That looks better, but yeah I would still get your model back for comparison.  Good job man.

JPB
  • Hands in general are difficult because of all the angles involved.  You also have to be careful when looking that you are keeping your viewing position the same each time.  For example the back of the hand could change quite a bit even with small change in the viewing angle.  

Also in my opinion you have to change things from what you actually see because they won't be believable to the viewer afterwords.  I see this a lot when looking at clouds.  Sometimes cloud formations get really weird and if you painted it as is people would think it was a mistake rather than what was actually there.  I have been meaning to post about this phenomenon but have not gotten around to it.
    JPB
  • Great progress.  Looking forward to the finish.
    JPB
  • This is really shaping up. Keep going. Satisfaction is just around the corner.
    JPB
  • I really like what you have done with the hands.  I am watching this progress with great interest.  It currently has a very ethereal quality.  If that was your goal I see it as very nearly finished, and I must say I like it very much. Possibly a tad more refinement in the face to make a convincing likeness.  If that is not your goal, well, good work so far.  It will be a wonderful painting 
    BOB73JPB
  • Great painting! I would just a add a bit of tonal definition to the hands (even if you have to make it up) and call it done.  
    JPB
  • MikeDerby said:
    I really like what you have done with the hands.  I am watching this progress with great interest.  It currently has a very ethereal quality.  If that was your goal I see it as very nearly finished, and I must say I like it very much. Possibly a tad more refinement in the face to make a convincing likeness.  If that is not your goal, well, good work so far.  It will be a wonderful painting 
    @MikeDerby, I'm glad to hear my re-route was a good one. Yeah, that light is kind of ghosty down in my living room. Hey, if something looks like it needs more definition, feel free to point it out/circle it and I'll see what I can do. I get tunneled with certain things (far sighted) and even the mirror at the end of the room doesn't show it lol. Thanks for the help.

JeffAllen said:
    Great painting! I would just a add a bit of tonal definition to the hands (even if you have to make it up) and call it done.  
    @JeffAllen, I'm with you there, man; can't wait to call this study done!  I'll rest easy with this one after I get the front hand and book tight, and the shirt shadows with an overall detail pass.

Ya'll really keep it going
    Go Preds :V 

• Coming along nicely, @JPB.  I really like the soft focus. A little more detail in the face and hands and you could call it done.
  • JPB said:
    Go Preds :V 

More catfish! :p
    JPB

• Home stretch on this one. After some fabric and touch ups I can put it up. :tongue:

Thanks for helping me through.
    PaulBForgivenessBOB73tassieguy
  • That right hand holding the book is just perfect.  Well done.
    JPB
  • Great job rectifying the issues.  Excellent work man!
    JPB
  • Great work, congrats! also very nice expression in the face, looks like a challenging angle.
    JPB
  • Very nice painting @JPB, those muted colours and soft edges are terrific. 

JPB