Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How do you Prime raw canvas for Oil painting?

edited April 18 in Painting
- I have been using the following for my raw canvases and painting oil on them

- 1/2 cup of plaster of paris
- 1/2 cup of elmers glue
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of white acrylic paint

i would do 3 coats on raw canvas (I stretched it on wooden frames) and then paint in oil over it.  Am I doing this correctly or is there a better way to do it?  I plan on selling these oil paintings

Comments

• sonnystrauss

Well ... Yes to the extent that the cotton / linen fibres are protected from linseed oil. The question here is "How porous is your mixture? ". Golden acrylics GAC100 would be a good seal.

The next worry is how brittle or flexible is your mixture? Test a few dry samples by twisting and bending while looking for crazing and cracking or delamination.

Finally, how moisture proof or absorbant is the mix? Again, test some samples with beads of water with a bright staining dye added. Does it bleed through? Or evaporate on the surface?.

The glue and paint may be sufficient to seal and moisture proof the support by forming a polymer skin.

Denis

• edited April 18
    Is there a safer way to prepare the raw canvas for oil painting?  I have no see. No cracking thus far (3 months) from this method I have used for oil paintings. But I have read online that not using a oil primer can cause the oil to deteriorate over time.  I'm not using acrylics.  My mixes are fairly thick and I don't sand down after each coat.  I plan on selling these paintings and I don't want them to die for my customers sake. 
  • sonnystrauss

Take a look at this video on YouTube:

Denis