0. Under painting stage but very similar to Sargent's paintings. All the values are present. Complete in itself.
1. Very rough handling; Only putting the right values and not smoothing
the paint. Body of the paint is thick but luminous due to Maroger medium. Focus on form.
2. Again a very rough handling but paint has less body. Focus on tone.
3. Almost a later stage of No. 2. but edges of all the color being blurred with brush but not mixing all the colors that are there though. Focus on form and value.
4. Similar to No.3 but economy of strokes is a highlight. Focus on form and value.
5. Are extensions to No.3&4 but more smooth but existing values were not disturbed. Focus on paint surface.
6. A more blended approach for the face. Very few hard edges. Paint surface is very smooth but the starting faze is similar to No.2. Focus on paint surface.