Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Outstanding Animals in Oils - Marie Grice NZ

Folks

Haven't posted an episode of Colour in Your Life for a long time.
This artist Marie Grice shows lots of tips and techniques in this 25 minute video.

This Australian production is shown in dozens of countries and is well worth watching.

Denis

SummerForgivenessBOB73rautchetandraw_kids1993Julianna

Comments

• THanks Denis. I have hearing problem and being American It's difficult to understand Those "heavy foreign" accents. Why does she paint upside down?
    Forgiveness
  • edited April 1
    This is phenomenal,thanks @dencal for sharing it :). @BOB73 she painted some part of painting upside down because she dint want to get bogged down by the details,like she said while painting an eye...She doesn't want to see it as an eye,so she flips the painting upside down to paint it as a mosaic of colors and values rather than concerning about it as an eye.hope it helps :).I am amazed by one thing that how is she able to match the colors of sheep so perfectly when the reference photo was not placed properly side by side,I mean for most of the time it was residing below of the painting and we could clearly see her shadow falling over it..But still she managed to pull it off brilliantly :D
    BOB73dencal
  • edited April 1
    Thank you @dencal , fantastic!, @BOB73  and @rautchetan It's a great technique to turn your painting upside down, although I don't do it myself and would not include this in Mark's method, been witness to many artists who do practice this. If I turn my canvas upside down, it's only to get a new real angle on things to keep good perspective on the whole and concentrate on shapes. About her color matching, it's possible she may be using a specific formula that she is used to and knows by heart. It appears the same color formula is seen through many of her works. I have seen this in Robert Bateman's work as well and many others. I see a strong R. Bateman influence in her work and methods. Interesting how she prefers masonite to work on rather than canvas and her reasons for this.
    rautchetandencalBOB73
  • I loved this!!!!  I always flip my canvas and that is one of the reasons that I don't like still lifes so much as I can't flip the table!  I have been working on a heron and realize my mistakes now - I should have held off on adding the "fur" - thank you for sharing.
    rautchetan
  • @BOB73 ;  If you flip the canvas, it triggers "right brain drawing" - also, using negative space helps when struggling.  Your human mind will always think "this is an eye"; "this is a vase" etc..etc...etc...  when you flip it or use negative space, you are just painting what you see.  I particularly find flipping a canvas upside down is invaluable when working on a wine bottle, vase, glass or any object that needs to be symmetrical.  I loved it that she does it so much.  It made me feel at home. 
    BOB73Forgiveness
  • Ticking my brain? Everybody else has tried now I get to do it to myself! Radical! Thanks for the explanation I do understand now.
    Forgiveness
  • edited April 11
    It is radical and It's alright, it works! The first time I learned this was in watercolor class, and learned to use my lap as my easel most often too, en plein air and for still lifes. During that same period, in the studio I would start out on my easel but most always ended on my lap soon afterward, it was easier to turn and maneuver the watercolor board that my paper was stretched onto.