Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Oh no! Mixing SDM into paint problem

edited March 26 in Technical Support
Hi there,
I just made a stupid mistake. I mixed medium into my paints yesterday, and then today, I though they needed some more in them so I added SDM to all of them-including the titanium white!

Yesterday, for the titanium white, I used the medium specifically intended for it (only stand oil, venice turpentine, refined linseed oil and odourless mineral spirits), but today I added probably 5mls of SDM (which had stand oil, venice turpentine, refined linseed oil, odourless mineral spirits and clove oil). There is probably 30ish mls of white SDM and about 5mls of the other SDM. Does this matter? I have run out of venice turpentine so I will not be able to make any more SDM.

I also accidentally added this discussion to the wrong section and am not sure how to change it the the supplies page. Sorry.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ben

Not a drama. Should be OK.

If things start to go wrong the white paint will start to cross link in the jar.
    A rubbery consistency starts to form within a day or so. If so allow to dry and discard. I have not found a way to salvage rubbery white. I assume you are using W&N.

Denis

BenMitchell
  • Thanks dencal, once again.
  • Ben

Don't worry about additional VT. Use some tube white with a little stand oil to dilute. Mix enough for each painting session, don't store any.

Denis

• So do not use the Titanium white I already mixed, even if it is not rubbery?
  • @BenMitchell I made the same mistake with my first batch of white and mixed some of the regular SDM into it, and mine hasn't turned rubbery, and I've not had any issues using it.
  • Ben

Use it. But if it turns rubbery and you have no VT, the tube paint and stand oil is a temporary work around.

Denis

• Hi, I have a possibly stupid question but in mixing the SDM I'm trying to get an idea of how much the parts are.  If it says 10 parts of something to 1 part of something else should I use maybe a tablespoon to measure or teaspoon or what??  I assume it's how much I want to make so what is a good amount to make?
    Thanks
    Carol
    Barnabas
  • Carol

Welcome to the Forum.

Here is Mark's recipe

recipe for slow-dry medium (for all colors except titanium white):

• 10 parts odorless mineral spirits (any artist-grade odorless mineral spirits will do)
    • 5 parts stand oil or linseed stand oil (this is viscous like honey and is not the same as refined linseed oil)
    • 1 part refined linseed oil
    • 5 parts Venice turpentine *
    • 2 parts oil of cloves †

For burnt umber, you will need extra clove oil. Please watch this video for instructions on how to incorporate the extra clove oil into burnt umber: youtu.be/lpU9egKu-kM

I suggest you buy a metric measure available in kitchen supply shops or a department store.
    Graduations are easy to follow in millilitres (mls).

Notice linseed requires one part. So there are twenty three parts in the whole recipe
    So let's say you want to mix one litre (1000 mL). Divide 1000 by 23 = 43.

The recipe now looks like this;

10 parts OMS = 430 mL
    5 parts SO = 215 mL
    1 part LO = 43 mL
    5 parts VT = 215 mL
    2 Parts OC = 86 mL

Total = 989 mL. Not quite 1000 due to rounding down.

Happy mixing.

Denis

• Denis is always right. I wanted to keep my SDM in the same 250 ml jars as my paints so I just used 10 ml to equal 1 part. I think some people get confused on how much paint or how many ml of paint  Because they think paint is one of the components.  The mixture does not include paint. The finished mixture is added to the paint until the desired consistency is made as in the video Denis mentioned above. I like  using a 100 ml graduated cylinder it's small and holds 10 parts (the greatest volume of one component). I got it on amazon for about $6. It's in "Scientific & industrial" section not kitchens.
    dencal
  • Hi, thanks for the welcome and for answering my question so quickly.  I was just wondering if it would be more cost effective to just go ahead and purchase Mark's 6 tubes of paint ($180 plus shipping) instead of trying to gather together all this paraphernalia.  I know it would depend on how much a person paints but could I have an idea of about how long his paint would last.
    Thanks so much
  • Carol

Geneva paint not available in Australia. 

Denis

• I'm in USA.  I'm so sorry it's not available in Australia.  Maybe it will be soon.

• Carol

Buy Geneva and get on with some painting.

Denis

• Welcome to the forum.  Buy Mark's paint.  I have the recipe and  have mixed my own because I had so much paint that I didn't want to waste. If you don't already have a lot of paint, go on and get the Geneva paint.  You will be glad that you did.  Even if you do have excess paint on hand, Mark's paint will be worth it.  I'm just a tight wad.