Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Sealed paint storage

Folks

You know from past posts that I'm a sucker for a bargain. Yesterday I came across a clearance bin with thousands of these Tupperware style ice cube trays with a tightly fitting lid.

Paint stored in the fridge can be isolated from food with confidence.
A cotton wad with a few drops of clove oil in one of the cubes will assist with longevity.
Looks pretty easy to clean with rounded corners and edges.
The mfr is MSC of Montreal, Canada and made in China.

Denis

davelanderrautchetanForgivenessFlattyErika_wakirestudio

Comments

• Hmmm @dencal you gave me an idea!
  • @dencal this seems a nice solution..
  • edited March 2017
    This would not work so well in the freezer for ice cubes because the air tight seal would crack in no time. But Looks like a good solution for us oil painters to use in the refrigerator! I like it that it is compact, takes up little space and helps to keep things organized.
  • Thanks Dencal,

When do you put your paint in for the fridge, everyday or when you want to take a break a few days? And would you mix the paint with Clove oil or you just line the cubes in the container with clove oil?

Excuse me for my ignorance I was worried how I'll storage my paints since my painting sessions can take long.

Thanks
  • dencaldencal -
    edited March 2017
    Abraham26

This is suggestion was for the forum folks who use the fridge. Despite living in a warm Meditteranean climate (Perth, Australia) I have never needed to store W&N with SDM in the fridge.

Kept in small volume containers with a good lid my stock color (blue, red, yellow, brown) lasts for years.
    My premixed values, in even smaller containers keeps in paintable order for several years.

Use the search box at the top of the page for -snap caps- to see some pics of my containers.

SDM contains all the clove oil that's needed.
    Denis

Summer
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited August 22
    brought an old post because the discussion of snap-caps just won't go away but that's ok we have newbees joining all the time. BUT my question today is about your comment earlier today about snapcaps. You showed a photo of your containers sitting  on top of a spiral bound book with color mixing recipes WHAT IS THAT BOOK PLEASE?
  • Thanks Denis. I'll have to get some. 
  • BOB73

A word of caution.

I have the portrait edition and the oil and acrylic edition. Both are very useful for pointing me in the right direction for a weird color or value shift. Also valuable about how to construct a string from a master tone.
    I found though that there is a predominance of white in the recipes. All a bit chalky really. However, if you can recognise this and take steps, such as using transparent white instead of titanium white, it’s not a problem.

Powell is systematic and methodical. Every page in his books is the same layout as shown in the photo I posted, no long boring text to wade through. Helpful too, I emailed him with a color naming issue and he replied.

Denis

• BOB73BOB73 -
    edited August 23
    Thanks Denis. I was thinking of getting the one for landscapes first?
  • Am I missing something here? If you are colour checking from life or a photo why do you need colour recipees?
  • Richard_P

No you are not missing anything. Just an alternate method of constructing a value string.
    Colour checking from life or a photo is stiil part of the process.

Denis
  • Yep, still color checking but a good, easy to follow "cheat sheet" can help save paint and time. Also gives insight to other hues of a color.
    Irishcajunalsart