Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Color matching

hi!
im a new person here and I've not yet started on mark's very generous intructions. I can't wait to start, but have no space .
I am first working on color matching through Arthur stern's book 'how to see colour and paint it', which is great.
my struggle/question is this : when you hold your paint out (on a pallete knife viewing through a hole in a card)  visually match it to your still life (in my case simply an orange against colored paper) the paint sample is in less light than the actual still life so- well the value is all wrong and I can't figure out where to hold the paint sample- do you put it RIGHT in there against the still life? So it's under the lamp light? Or in the room light? Everyone must have this problem? 

Comments

• goosamoz

Welcome to the Forum.

Hold the sample ( preferably in a color checker) at arms length, use one eye in studio/room light.
    The sample should be a comfortable distance from the still life, say, 3 to 6 feet.
    The important aspect is that you're shadow box lighting and studio/room light needs to be balanced.
    Mark shows you how to do all of this in his free videos.

This is awkward at first but soon becomes as natural as breathing.

Denis
  • Thanks Denis that's really helpful - I think I need to find a studio! I'm realsiing how very controlled the light has to be, getting it just right - I will look at the vids again.
    cheers  ;) ;)
  • dencaldencal -
    edited March 14
    goosamoz

Don't find a studio. Make your own in a garage, spare room, basement etc. Most of the studios I visit are hopeless for light quality and control. One in particular has white glossy tiles and white glossy walls and yellow halogen down lights. I need sunglasses when I visit.
    A rental will cost big time and you will have to apply as much effort and cash as you would at home.

Denis

• Well- that's also good advice but I'm in a tiny house w no space- but no need to go on about that! But the lighting is clearly v important so I'm finding. I really want to get my teeth in to the DMP methods ! 
  • goosamoz

What about a second hand shipping container studio?

Denis

WeatherfordForgiveness
  • I tried matching the color as per Marks method of mixing colour's.  I achieved in yellow ochre, olive green, prussian blue.  But cudnt mange to get the results in viridian green and lemon yellow