Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What is your day job?

Is your art your sole source of income or even a part of it? And if you work at a different job for 40 hours a week (or more) when do you make time to paint? 

Comments

• @kimNZ, William Adolphe Bouguereau; a master of light and shadow. You've chosen well for an artist to emulate. We all have a long way to go to get to his level.
  • I need @MeganS at my house for renovations and running roughshod over my 21 and 26 year old un-coachable daughters. 
    MeganSBancroft414
  • Sounds good! Which Vermeer? :)
  • Do the one with the girl at the keyboard-face in the mirror. That patterned cloth in the foreground will take a long time to paint You'll need to start before you are twelve to finish it in your life time.
  • edited May 2
    Too late Bob, Tim Jenison did it.  Took him three years and cost millions.  I will go the cheaper route and paint my own genre pictures.  Richard I don't have the time or patience to copy someone else's work.  I take my inspiration from Vermeer but not his compositions
    BOB73
  • edited May 3
    I'm a research interviewer for a long term health care study. I'm 55 but I have no clue what I want to do when I grow up. For now I do this, I'm good at it and it's a pretty good gig for me. :)
    ForgivenessBOB73Bancroft414
  • I am a school guidance counselor and mental health therapist.  Usually i'm constricted in time to paint, so my best foot goes forward when i do have time for it.  
    ForgivenessBancroft414
  • edited May 22
    Love science! It's all I read these days. I have always regretted not being able to do it. Law is so damned boring!
    @Roxy, I'm just now reading E.O Wilson's latest. I've read just about everything he's written. Ecology is fascinating.  We still understand so little about how the living world works. We don't even have a good idea of how many species exist and we seem hell bent on driving them to extinction before we even know of them. Let's have more science. And art. :)
    BOB73edavisonBancroft414
  • Couldn't agree more @tassieguy. I have always thought art and science are closely related - they are both inherently creative pursuits. I suspect da Vinci would have agreed. E.O. Wilson is a giant.

BOB73
  • All teachers are alike aren't they?
    ForgivenessmovealonghomeKaustav
  • Great thread, it's really neat getting insight into people's lives outside of painting. Painting is just a hobby for me right now, someday I would love to do it as a living though. 

For about four years now I've worked in the Meat Department of Wegmans (a northeast USA grocery chain) 40-50 hours a week. I have some IT experience though so I'm in the process of looking for a job in that field. 
    BOB73Bancroft414Flatty
  • BOB73 said:
    So let me say thank you to you for trying to help their situation.
    We are always happy to help you.. :p
    BOB73movealonghomeBancroft414
  • Thanks @Richard_P, I don't enjoy hanging out with elders as much as I did when I was younger. Now I am an elder too and mostly they want to talk about our various infirmities. Actually what I wanted to say in response to your comment was about respect. I keep visiting because of all the mutual respect here. Moreso here than any forum I know of.
    Bancroft414
  • Thank you @BOB73.  Vulnerable people of all stripes and ages need our collective compassion and patience, and advocacy.  As for the forum, I couldn't agree more!!  This is a humble, authentic, and supportive group.  
    BOB73Flatty
  • I'd rather be classified as Venerable with assorted vulnerabilities.
    Bancroft414
  • I had my own practice as a natural therapist after I had studied medicine. Two years ago I had to give it up cause of my cancer.
    That is why I have so much time to get into arts :-) and to learn with patience.
    PaulB
  • Retired teacher. Which subject? Art. But, when you teach Art the last thing you want to do in the ending is paint. Loved teaching, love retirement better. 
    PaulB
  • edited October 20
    Software developer for last 25 years or so.  40-50 hrs\week. Husband\father\grandfather.  4 children (2 still at home) and 2 grandchildren.  I would rather stick ice picks in my ears than write another line of code, but at my age no one will pay me to do anything else =).  I try hard, but mostly fail, to work art in whenever time permits.  I have mainly drawn over the years, but am keen on trying to learn how to paint.  I couldn't believe my luck when I found the cache of knowledge known as DMP that Mark was kind enough to put out in the wild.  I am very glad I found this forum as well with all of you extremely kind, talented, and helpful people.
    SummerPaulBBOB73
  • Pet Groomer that has turned the business over to my husband.  I am now  disabled and cant do much at a time but excited to learn.  I see how others are able to do such beautiful work . Even first paintings are remarkable . It is all very encouraging.