Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What is your day job?

Is your art your sole source of income or even a part of it? And if you work at a different job for 40 hours a week (or more) when do you make time to paint? 

Comments

• SummerSummer -
    edited March 28
    Housewife and homemaker with a five-year BFA degree in Fine Arts.  I'm steeped in all things fine art every day in my studio with some on-going projects taking years.  Very nice to be here and with you all.  :)
    ForgivenessMikeDerbyBOB73Irishcajun
  • @kimNZ, William Adolphe Bouguereau; a master of light and shadow. You've chosen well for an artist to emulate. We all have a long way to go to get to his level.
  • I need @MeganS at my house for renovations and running roughshod over my 21 and 26 year old un-coachable daughters. 
    MeganS
  • 26 years with a multi-national bank in big data, risk management and now finance.  Ridiculous stress but no more hours than any of you.  Serious hobbyist for all of that including offshore fishing, guitar, woodworking, gardening and now painting.  All meant to relieve the stress and ease the tension between my temples.  Sometimes it works, painting best of all.  Painted my first portrait in Jan 2016.  Painted the first one I showed anyone May a year ago.  Then I found Mark and Lizzie was the result.  The goal is to paint my own Vermeer, and not a copy.  Maybe even more than one.  
    ForgivenessKaustavBOB73Irishcajun
  • Sounds good! Which Vermeer? :)
  • Do the one with the girl at the keyboard-face in the mirror. That patterned cloth in the foreground will take a long time to paint You'll need to start before you are twelve to finish it in your life time.
  • edited May 2
    Too late Bob, Tim Jenison did it.  Took him three years and cost millions.  I will go the cheaper route and paint my own genre pictures.  Richard I don't have the time or patience to copy someone else's work.  I take my inspiration from Vermeer but not his compositions
    BOB73
  • edited May 3
    I'm a research interviewer for a long term health care study. I'm 55 but I have no clue what I want to do when I grow up. For now I do this, I'm good at it and it's a pretty good gig for me. :)
    ForgivenessBOB73
  • I am a school guidance counselor and mental health therapist.  Usually i'm constricted in time to paint, so my best foot goes forward when i do have time for it.  
    Forgiveness
  • Pediatrician.  Painting is the new hobby, but my 10 year old little girl is always asking to paint with me, and she is so creative it keeps me going.  
    BOB73TeranceForgivenessFlatty
  • What an absolutely fascinating group of people! Myself I'm a scientist, and work for a large government research organisation. I'm trained as an ecologist, but now spend most of my time writing computer models of ecosystems rather than enjoying them in the flesh. I took art at high school which I loved, and promised myself when I decided upon the science path that I would return to it someday (that was 30 yrs ago). It seems that day has come. I've drawn sporadically over the years, and have always dabbled in photography, but have only just started painting after being inspired by Mark C and the good folk on this forum. I only get a few hours per week to paint, but I'm always trying to sneak in an extra half hour here and there. I'm looking forward to finishing my first painting. And then the next. And then the next, ...
    ForgivenessFlattyrautchetan
  • edited May 22
    Love science! It's all I read these days. I have always regretted not being able to do it. Law is so damned boring!
    @Roxy, I'm just now reading E.O Wilson's latest. I've read just about everything he's written. Ecology is fascinating.  We still understand so little about how the living world works. We don't even have a good idea of how many species exist and we seem hell bent on driving them to extinction before we even know of them. Let's have more science. And art. :)
    BOB73
  • Couldn't agree more @tassieguy. I have always thought art and science are closely related - they are both inherently creative pursuits. I suspect da Vinci would have agreed. E.O. Wilson is a giant.

BOB73
  • I'm a bartender and high school teacher. Other hobbies include rock climbing and listening to metal alone in the dark.
    rautchetanPaulBForgivenessBOB73