Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What if a step is not present in the subject...

edited February 16 in Color Mixing
Hi all,
     I am trying to learn the application of steps which mark demonstrates,I have one doubt regarding it:
     Let's say one subject of my still life is like silver container(which mark paints in one of his videos) which has almost all steps,but my another subject has a very prominent transition of value of a color rather than a smooth one,in such cases do I skip the intermediate steps to jump to the next right step?(in the video there was once a case when step was not visible to us clearly,so mark explained that it is between the darker and lighter step),but what if there is a very huge jump of value from one step to another which is not subtle?
  What shall I do in such cases?Has Anyone encountered this situation before?If yes then how did you handle it?

Comments

• Color checker does not lie. :)
  • I agree with you @NanaBean,I am saying the scenario in which the value jump is very abrupt as opposed to gradual...Like if we want to paint a ballerina on whom the spotlight is projected,in this case the area under spotlight will be of very light valued color but the area just outside the spotlight will be very dark valued one
  • At least 2 value steps will always be there except just total darkness.

• I was thinking about the steps in the above marked area..the blackest area does seems to have one step below black but the jump from the lightest step to the darkest one seems very huge 
  • rautchetan

A little app I have can see eighteen values and show the palette in the area you marked.
    i deleted all the shades of yellow from the marking symbol.

Of course if I was doing this seriously I would be working from a source image and not just a small sample from a screenshot. But even with these limitations you can see the potential.

As you can see the app is called palettes pro.
    Your palette is called image palette on the lower centre of the screen. Some of the warm greys and greens are transition values between the dark and the light.

Palettes Pro by Rick Maddy
    https://appsto.re/au/fpQEr.i

Denis

rautchetanEstherHArtistMartin1
  • Yeah @rautchetan What Denis @dencal said. I knew there was a simple answer to this.
    EstherH
  • Thanks for the detailed info @dencal :)
  • This answer might be coming a month to late
    But
    Sargent is said to have used around 2 values in the darks and 3 in the lighter areas.
    With occasional lighter tones or darker tones.

You don't need to get exactly 7-8 steps for every area. Infact.. Try using fewer steps.. That will force you to get the midtones perfectly.

Try using more transparent warmer darks in the shadows. And more opaque colors in the lights.

ArtistMartin1
  • edited March 20
    @H.M thank you so much for your response,I had the same question only...meaning there can be such a lighting setup which will create such a prominent transition on the subject that it will have very less steps,then I wondered that if I want to achieve realism I need to have more steps...so was in conflicted state.This clears my doubt,thanks again :)